Ricoh GR III v1.60, GR IIIx v1.10 Firmware Update Released
New firmware brings updates from GR IIIx to all GR III models
By wadge22 in Firmware Updates on Apr 9, 2022
- Snap Distance Priority mode, a new exposure setting: Once the preferred distance for snapshots and the desired depth of field (DOF) are set in advance, the camera lets the user quickly and easily recall these settings. This setting is programmed to select the aperture, providing the depth of field used in pan-focus photography, making it particularly handy for quick snapshot photography.
- Auto Area AF (Center) focus mode: Instead of covering the entire image field, this mode operates only in nine focus zones around the center of the image field, preventing the camera from focusing on unintended elements, such as a grassy field in the foreground of an image.
- Enable AF mode shutter-release capability: When the shutter-release button is pressed halfway down, the user can lock the AF system only, without locking the AE system.
- Snapshot mode: A distance setting of 11.5 feet (3.5 meters) has been added to the Snapshot mode; and a long press on the monitor during playback allows the user to instantly recall the playback function selection menu.
Like all updates, these are cumulative and include everything added in prior updated firmware versions.
Firmware Release Notes for GR III
Click here to download the update from the official Pentax firmware website.
Firmware Release Notes for GR IIIx
For installation help or to discuss the update, visit our Ricoh GR forum.
Ricoh GR III Firmware Upgrade Instructions
- Download the firmware ZIP file ( for the GR III here, for the GR IIIx here)
- Unzip the zip file to a folder of your choosing
- Locate the extracted .bin file and copy it to the root (top level i.e. outside of any folder) of a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera and ensure the battery is fully charged
- Turn the camera on while holding the menu button
- Select "Yes" at the firmware upgrade prompt
- Once the screen displays "Update completed", turn off your camera
- Power your camera back on and resume normal use
- In order to verify that the firmware update was successful, go back to the firmware option in the setup menu. The screen should indicate the latest version. You can now resume normal camera use.
The Ricoh GR III and GR IIIx are 24-megapixel "pro" APS-C compact cameras. The GR III currently retails for $896.95 in the US. Learn more about it in our in-depth review. The GR IIIx currently retails for $996.95 in the US.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax K-3 III v1.50, K-1 II v1.40, K-1 v1.70...
- May 2022 "Ultra-wide Perspective"...
- U.S. Pentax Deal Roundup: June 22nd, 2022
- May "Ultra-wide Perspective" Contest...
- Venus Laowa Offers 15mm F4.5 R Zero-D Shift for...
- Ricoh Releases Pentax O-GPS2 GPS Unit
- The Making of "Mirror City"
- U.S. Pentax Deal Roundup: June 2nd, 2022