Knockout Round 1 Results
Boom goes the dynamite
By cjfeola in Pentax Lens Tournament on Oct 26, 2014
We wanted to take a moment to look back on the results now that the first round of the knockout matches is over in our Pentax Lens Tournament. As a reminder, the current standings are available here.
DOWN goes the M85 F2, knocked out 139-8 by the FA 77 F1.8 Limited. The 67 165 F4 LS will be seeing stars for a while after a 78-7 thrashing courtesy of the D FA 100mm Macro WR.
And the first knockout round of the Greatest Pentax Lens Tournament of All Time also saw one big upset: Telephoto seventh seed FA* 200mm F4 Macro comfortably overturned second seed DA* 60-250 F4, 62-43.
The higher seeds prevailed elsewhere, though some of the contests were squeakers. The FA 43mm F1.9 Limited and A 50 F1.2 contest attracted almost 150 votes from Pentaxians, with the Limited winning 78-68. Only one manual focus lens made it to Round Two: the Super Takumar 50mm F1.4.
Ironically, the M 85 F2 beat three contenders in the play-in tie breaker for the eighth and final see in Short Teles – the M 100 F2.8, FA 645 120 F4 Macro, and FA* 28-70 F2.8 – only to have that fleeting victory run over by a train named the FA 77 F1.8 Limited.
With the first knockout round done, we're on to the Sweet 16. Each round gets tougher, naturally: In the first four matchups, the FA* 24/2 faces off against the DA 12-24/4; the FA 31/1.8 Limited takes on the FA 43/1.9 Limited; the FA 77/1.8 Limited is challenged by the D FA 100/2.8 Macro WR; and the DA* 300mm F4 battles the FA* 200mm F4 Macro. The winners will be determined in just a few short hours.
Other results from the first knockout round:
- FA 31mm 1.8 Limited defeated the DA* 55mm, 100-48
- DA 15 mm F4 Limited clobbered the DA 14 mm F2.8, 110-13
- DA* 300 mm F4 beat the A* 200 mm F4, 70-38
- DA 21mm F3.2 Limited more than doubled the K 28 mm F3.5, 90-39
- DA 12-24 F4 cruised by the DA 10-17 Fisheye, 82-47
- FA* 24 mm F2 pounded the FA 20mm F2.8, 68-29
- DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro more than tripled the M 50mm F1.7, 99-31
- Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 hammered the A 50mm F1.7, 65-38
- FA* 85mm F1.4 crushed the A* 85mm F1.4, 62-27
- DA 70mm F2.4 Limited obliterated the K 85mm F1.8, 65-35
- DA* 50-135 F2.8 easily handled the K 135mm F2.5, 79-32
- FA* 300mm F4.5 whipped up on the DA 18-135 F3.5-5.6, 82-28
Consult with our lens database for details on each lens.
The competition gets tougher each round, as winner takes on winner, till finally the last two survivors in each category face off. Once we’ve determined the best Wide-Angle, Normal, Short Telephoto and Telephoto, the champions of each bracket will face off in the Final Four: Best Wide-Angle vs. best Telephoto, and best Normal vs. best Short Telephoto. The winners of those two contests will then face off to be named the Greatest Of All Time.
In the end, there can only be one. Be sure to keep checking back for the current matchups and standings!
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- April 2022 "Urban Landscape" Photo...
- Savings on Topaz Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs
- Ricoh announces new WG-80 point and shoot camera
- Pentax K-3 Mark III Continuous Autofocus...
- April "Urban Landscape" Contest...
- U.S. Pentax Deal Roundup: May 12, 2022
- Win a SMC Pentax DA 21mm: Special Photo Contest
- Ricoh WG-6 Firmware Update Adds Webcam...