Round One Leaderboard
There can only be one best lens!
By cjfeola in Pentax Lens Tournament on Oct 9, 2014
Pentaxians made 339 nominations in the first 24 hours of the Greatest Pentax Lens Tournament, and some results are already apparent:
- Pentaxians really, really, REALLY like prime lenses
- Especially the DA 15 Limited, which gained the most votes and is running away with the Wide Angle Category
- One vote behind is the FA 31 Limited, which is dominating a crowded Normal field
- Lots of old glass still has admirers
- Oh, and Pentaxians are passionate about their glass.
Here's Pentaxian netrex on the SMC K 135:
"Even though this lens is as old as I am, it's as sharp as anything released today. It has a beautiful buttery smooth bokeh as well. It is built as a tank and the focus ring is perfectly dampened for a smooth focus experience. This is by far my favorite lens, and I'll use it as long as I will be photographing."
Pentaxians have placed 429 nominations for 85 candidates in the first two days of The Greatest Pentax Lens of All Time. And with two days in the books, one thing is overwhelmingly clear: Pentaxians are just a wee bit passionate about their glass.
See if you can discern from these subtle hints how Pentaxian monochrome feels about the K35/3.5:
"For something like 15 years this lens has been attached to my KX in my camera bag (unless it was attached to my K10D or K-3). It is extremely sharp - perhaps the sharpest 35 ever made by Pentax - buttery smooth to operate even today nearly 40 years after it was released - and given the right background capable of a pleasing 3D effect. What sets it apart from any other Pentax lens I own though is the rendering of colors. They are alive and vibrant, especially on film (sublime on Kodachrome 64 - alas), bright, real and the best reds of any Pentax lens I've ever seen. There are just a few lenses I'll leave for my children to fight over - three. They've agreed to draw straws for picking order. This one is the first pick."
Ummm....may that be a distant, distant day! In the meantime, here are some highlights:
- The DA 15 Limited continues with the overall lead with 44 votes while crushing the Wide-Angle category
- In second overall is the FA 31 Limited, which is still dominating the Normals
- The FA 43 Limited, which several people had predicted would win in a walkover, is instead in a dogfight for a distant second with the DA 35 Macro Limited, the Super Takuram 50/1.4, the FA 50/1.7, and the M 50/1.7
- We've had our first Q System nomination-the 08 telephoto zoom
Without further ado, here are your leaderboards. Remember, the first eight in each category move on to the knock out rounds; it's back to the bag for the rest.
Leaderboards as of 1AM GMT on October 10
|1||DA 15/4 Limited||44||FA 31/1.8 Limited||38|
|2||DA 21/3.2 Limited||9||FA 43/1.9 Limited||17|
|3||FA* 24/2||8||DA 35/2.8 Macro||15|
|4||DA 10-17/3.5-4.5 Fisheye||6||Super Takumar 50/1.4||13|
|5||FA 20/2.8||4||A 50/1.7||11|
|6||DA 12-24/4||3||M 50/1.7||9|
|7||K 28/3.5||3||DA 55/1.4||7|
|8||DA 14/2.8||2||FA 50/2.8 Macro||5|
|17/4 Fisheye||2||FA 50/1.4||5|
|A 645 35/3.5||2||FA 35/2||4|
|A 15/3.5||1||A 50/1.2||3|
|Super Takumar 20/4.5||1||M 50/1.4||3|
|F 28/2.8||1||DA 35 2.4||3|
|DA 40/2.8 XS||2|
|Super Macro Takumar 50mm/4||2|
|Super Takumar 35/2||1|
|DA 40/2.8 Limited||1|
|Auto Takumar 35/3.5||1|
|67 Takumar 105/2.4||1|
|1||FA 77/1.8 Limited||30||DA* 300/4||17|
|2||D FA 100/2.8 Macro||21||DA* 60-250/4||10|
|3||FA 85/1.4||12||FA* 200/4 Macro||9|
|4||DA 70/2.4 Limited||12||FA* 300/4.5||9|
|5||K 85/1.8||3||DA* 50-135/2.8||8|
|6||M 100/2.8||2||K 135/2.5||5|
|7||67 165/4 LS||2||DA* 200/2.8||4|
|8||M 85/2||2||A* 135/1.8||4|
|FA 645 120/4 Macro||1||DA 18-135/3.5-5.6||4|
|FA* 28-70/4||1||A* 400/2.8||3|
|Ultra Achromatic 85/4.5||1||FA 250-600/5.6||3|
|FA 645 150/2.8||1||DA 55-300/4-5.8||3|
|FA 24-90||1||FA* 80-200/2.8||2|
|Takumar 67 600/4||2|
|645 FA* 300/4||2|
|67 M* 400/4||1|
Don't recognize some of these lenses? Look them up in our lens database!
While the 15mm and 31mm Limiteds have huge leads, the other two categories are still dog fights.
- Besides current APS-C glass, we have nominations for 645, 6x7, M, A, K, Q, and M42 screw mounts.
- No nominations so far for Auto 110 lenses
And did I mention we like primes? Here's Pentaxian ivanvernon waxing poetic on the 77mm Limited:
"My wife calls this one the magic lens. If we go out shooting with two cameras, she always asks to use the magic lens. I would use it even more if it were normal instead of short telephoto."
Nominations will remain open until Tuesday, October 14. So get your votes in for your faves above, and the glass you love that no one has mentioned yet. You know, the lens that makes you feel the way Pentaxian starjedi feels about his A* 200mm F4 Macro.
"Hook of Farewell: As a legendary weapon, once it targets to any part of your opponent's body, that part will say farewell to him. As a legendary lens, once it targets to any part… it will take all the finest details away."
We'll have another leaderboard update tomorrow. While you're pondering that, I'll leave you with the words of Pentaxian solar1:
"The greatest lens can only be the one on your camera."
Remember, you can continue nominating more lenses through Tuesday the 14th of October.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- "Portraits in Natural Light" Contest...
- Guide: DSLR Lens Resolution Testing at Home
- Pentaxian Profile - Giovanni Corona
- August "Portrait" Contest Finalists...
- Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.42 Released
- Pentax K-1 Silver Now in Stock in the US
- DSLR Guide for Shooting Sports II: Horse Racing
- The Making of "Solemnity"