Insight into Future Pentax Products
Translation of Interview with Riki Kitazawa
By PF Staff in Pentax Rumors on Dec 19, 2011
Rumors had it that new Pentax bodies would be announced today. Well, that did not turn out to be the case; however, via a Japanese interview with the head of Pentax's R&D department, Riki Kitazawa, we've gotten some insight into what Pentax is planning for the future.
Two goals seem to be clear from the dialog:
- Pentax is focusing on minimizing the phyisical size of their DSLR cameras
- Pentax is exploring mirrorless as an option for a pro-grade 645 format camera, as well as for an "affordable" full-frame camera
There is no clear indication of what's coming in the near future, but it's inevitable that a successor to both the K-5 (still in production) and the K-r (just discontinued) will be announced in the upcoming months.
We'll let you draw further conclusions yourself. Thanks for forum member v5planet, an English translation of the interview is available in this forum thread: Interview with Mr. Kitazawa.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax K-3 III: Available for US Pre-order
- Announcing Our April 2021 Photo Contest
- Pentax K-3 Mark III DSLR Officially Announced
- Theta Z1 51GB Announced
- The Making of "Sleepless in Seattle"
- February 2021 "Cityscape by Night"...
- Irix 45mm F1.4 Review Posted
- The D FA★ 50mm F1.4 is the Best Pentax Lens...