Insight into Future Pentax Products
Translation of Interview with Riki Kitazawa
By PF Staff in Pentax Rumors on Dec 19, 2011
Rumors had it that new Pentax bodies would be announced today. Well, that did not turn out to be the case; however, via a Japanese interview with the head of Pentax's R&D department, Riki Kitazawa, we've gotten some insight into what Pentax is planning for the future.
Two goals seem to be clear from the dialog:
- Pentax is focusing on minimizing the phyisical size of their DSLR cameras
- Pentax is exploring mirrorless as an option for a pro-grade 645 format camera, as well as for an "affordable" full-frame camera
There is no clear indication of what's coming in the near future, but it's inevitable that a successor to both the K-5 (still in production) and the K-r (just discontinued) will be announced in the upcoming months.
We'll let you draw further conclusions yourself. Thanks for forum member v5planet, an English translation of the interview is available in this forum thread: Interview with Mr. Kitazawa.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- "People, Candid or Street" Contest...
- Review of the Photocross 13 Sling Bag by...
- May "People - Candid or Street"...
- Irix 15mm F2.4 Firefly & Blackstone Review...
- The Making of "Lake Kilstivatnet"
- Announcing "Rivers and Fjords" - Our...
- Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018
- Pentax K-1 Upgrade Service Now Available: Guide