The Pentax Full Frame is Just Around the Corner
February launch highly likely
By PF Rumors in Pentax Rumors on Feb 1, 2016
The long-awaited Pentax Full Frame DSLR is finally just around the corner. After all, it's not April, so we must put all jokes aside. For the Pentax enthusiast community, it has been a long wait full of emotions ranging from excitement to frustration to denial. Yet those who endured it will soon be rewarded with what will arguably be one of the biggest Pentax product launches of the digital era.
We expect the official full frame announcement to land shortly before the 2016 CP+ camera trade show, which starts in Tokyo on February 25th. If this turns out to be the case, count on us to bring you an exclusive hands-on look at the body, its image quality, and its features! In addition, we will be covering all the news from the Pentax booth at the show as we've done in previous years.
On January 28th, the official Pentax full frame teaser site was updated with a description of the D FA 24-70mm standard zoom lens. This was accompanied by a new photo of the camera itself, this time depicting the top LCD and settings dial in detail (shown above).
If you're eager to learn more about the full frame, below is a quick list of unconfirmed but highly likely features:
- Control layout similar to that of the K-3
- Dual SD card slots
- Top LCD with dedicated settings dial and third control wheel
- Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
- Sensor-shift Shake Reduction
- Multi-directional articulating LCD
- Retro-styled prism housing; no on-board flash
- Pixel-shift super resolution
- Support for a crop mode for DA lenses; enhanced viewfinder
Key specifications such as sensor resolution and sensitivity remain unknown. The camera name is also unknown, though some speculations suggest that it will be called "Pentax K-1"
Regardless of what its megapixel count or burst framerate end up being, it's evident that the "Pentax K-1" is a unique and stand-apart camera geared heavilty toward photographers who value usability and ergonomics.
Below are photos of a prototype body as it appeared at the 2015 Salon de la Photo show in Paris:
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- April 2022 "Urban Landscape" Photo...
- Savings on Topaz Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs
- Ricoh announces new WG-80 point and shoot camera
- Pentax K-3 Mark III Continuous Autofocus...
- April "Urban Landscape" Contest...
- U.S. Pentax Deal Roundup: May 12, 2022
- Win a SMC Pentax DA 21mm: Special Photo Contest
- Ricoh WG-6 Firmware Update Adds Webcam...