Pentax K-50: Rumored DSLR
A potential successor to the Pentax K-30
By PF Staff in Pentax Rumors on Jun 6, 2013
Rumors of a new Pentax DSLR called the "K-50" have surfaced today on our forum. In this thread, the camera is described as having nearly the same specifications as the current Pentax K-30, thus placing it in the upper entry level market segment. With full weather sealing and two control wheels, like the K-30, it is a step above true entry-level DSLRs such as the Pentax K-r (the Pentax K-r was discontinued in 2011, and since that time, Pentax have not launched a replacement for it).
It also appears from the above photo that a new variant of the DA L 18-55mm kit lens with weather sealing will be introduced.
The current DA L 18-55mm is not sealed, so the only way to get a fully weather-resistant kit is to pay the $150 premium for a DA 18-55mm WR. Thus, the new lens would put fully-sealed kits in the hands of more users, which we're sure many potential customers will appreciate.
Pentax DA L lenses share the same optical designs as their DA-series counterparts, but they have plastic mounts, lack full-time manual focus override (aka Quick Shift), and do not come with hoods.
If and when this K-50 rumor becomes official, we will be sure to cover it on our homepage.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Lensbaby's New Burnside 35: Swirl and...
- Cactus Enhances Wireless Flash Capabilities for...
- Pentax K-1 II Preliminary Specifications
- Pentax K-1 II On the Horizon
- K-3 II Farewell Deal: Price drop & free grip
- Announcing "Moonscape" - Our February...
- "Backyard Wild Animals" Memorial...
- Part 2: Lightroom Alternatives - An Intro to...