Ricoh GR: Upcoming APS-C Compact
16.2 Megapixels, 18.3mm F2.8 lens
By PF Staff in Pentax Rumors on Apr 15, 2013
Pentax Ricoh have just posted a teaser video about the a new compact fixed-lens APS-C camera called the Ricoh GR. Based on the video, it seems that this camera incorporates many design elements found on previous Ricoh GR cameras, even though in terms of specifications, it closely mimics the recently-launched Nikon Coolpix A.
Here are the key specifications of the Ricoh GR:
- 16.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- No optical low-pass filter
- 4FPS continuous shooting
- 3-inch LCD with 1.23 million dots
- Fast AF response time (0.2s during normal shooting)
- High-performance GR Engine V image processor
- 18.3mm F2.8 GR lens
- 9 aperture blades
- Small body: 117 x 61 x 34.7mm (WxHxD)
Ricoh claims that the GR is going to be the world's smallest APS-C digital camera; specifications confirm that it is smaller than the Coolpix A (by a hair). Its body design resembles that of the earlier Ricoh GRD IV.
Like the Coolpix A's lens, the GR's lens has 7 elements in 5 groups. However, the specified focal lengths of these lenses differ by 0.2mm, suggesting that the Ricoh lens employs an original design. For those who think that a 28mm-equivalent lens is too wide, the GR will also offer a crop shooting mode corresponding to 35mm.
The video claims that the Ricoh GR will deliver very good performance, with a 1s startup time, low AF latency, 4FPS continuous shooting, and innovative in-camera features such as multiple exposures and lens effects.
Like the Coolpix A, the Ricoh GR has no low-pass filter in front of its sensor; excluding this filter has recently become a trend in high-end bodies.
There is no evidence of any Pentax-derived features in the new Ricoh GR. Rumors of the Ricoh GXR's discontinuation have recently surfaced, so it could be the case that this will become the new flagship camera from Ricoh. We will offer an update once this exciting camera is officially announced!
Pricing information has not yet been revealed, though it is rumored that the GR to be available for around $800, considerably less than the comparable Coolpix A.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- K-1 II Dynamic Pixel Shift: First Impressions
- Pentax FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Review Posted
- March "Birds" Contest Finalists...
- D FA★ 50mm F1.4 Production Delayed
- Pentax K-1 II In Stock in the US
- Pentax K-1 II eBook Now Available, 25% Off
- Pentax FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Review Posted
- Announcing "Boats" - Our April 2018...