Pentax announces a new DSLR, the Pentax KF
The Pentax KF replaces the beloved Pentax K-70
On November 9, 2022 Ricoh Imaging announced a new compact DSLR, the Pentax KF, which replaces the beloved Pentax K-70.
The KF inherits the weather-sealed body of the K-70 and also the swivel and twist rear LCD, which comes in handy in situations where holding the camera at eye level is difficult or impossible.
The main changes over the K-70 are:
- A 12.5% increase in LCD resolution of the LCD monitor to 1,037,000 dots (up from 921K dots)
- Three new custom image modes: SATOBI, which produces colors similar to those popular in the groovy 60s and 70s, with cyan-tinged blues, subdued yellows and faded reds; plus two special-edition image modes: KYUSHU and KATEN
- The battery charger that comes with the camera is powered via a USB cable. A traditional charger powered from household current is available as a separately priced item
- The Digital Camera Utility (DCU) software, which used to be on CD, is now in the camera. The K-3 III was the first PENTAX DSLR that incorporated the utility software in the camera
Click the images to enlarge and browse
Key features shared with the K-70:
- Viewfinder: Glass pentaprism with 100% field of view
- In-body shake reduction rated at 4.5 shutter steps. Panning possible with SR activated
- Weather-resistant cold proof body (to -10 degrees C)
- 24 MP sensor, 14 bit image data, PRIME MII processing unit
- Anti-alias filter simulation
- Sensor shift astrotracing with the O-GPS2 GPS unit
- Top ISO if 102,400
- Pixel shift resolution
- W-Fi connectivity with a smart phone
The price at launch for the black body is set at US $849.95. The price for a kit with the smc Pentax-DA L 18.55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR will be US $949.95.
The limited quantity white and blue models will cost an extra US $50. Only 700 copies will be produced of each of these variants.
Refer to the KF entry in our database for the technical data.
All variants should become available late November 2022.
TOKYO, November 10, 2022－RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the PENTAX KF digital SLR camera. The compact, dustproof and weather-resistant body of this standard-class model, designed for all types of outdoor photography, provides a host of advanced, user-friendly features including an optical viewfinder.
Redefining the essential values of SLR photography, the PENTAX KF is designed to provide outstanding imaging performance in a compact body. It features a dustproof, weather-resistant construction and provides dependable cold-proof performance down to temperatures as low as -10°C, performing superbly in a wide range of outdoor photography without being affected by weather conditions. Despite being in the standard class, it incorporates an array of advanced functions and user-friendly features which are usually available only in upper-class models -- such as a pentaprism-type optical viewfinder with a nearly 100% field of view and an in-body shake-reduction system with a 4.5 shutter-step compensation. With the PENTAX KF, even first-time SLR users can easily and effortlessly enjoy full-scale SLR photography and the entire process of digital imaging.
Two special-edition color models -- crystal blue and crystal white -- will be marketed worldwide in a limited quantity of 700 units each.
Main features of the PENTAX KF
- Super-high-resolution images captured with approximately 24.24 effective megapixels and at ISO 102400
The PENTAX KF assures super-high-resolution imaging, thanks to a state-of-the-art CMOS image sensor with approximately 24.24 effective megapixels and high-speed 14-bit image data readout. Combined with an AA-filter-free optical design, this image sensor delivers super-high-resolution images. Also, by coupling a high-performance accelerator unit with the high-speed PRIME MII imaging engine, the PENTAX KF effectively minimizes noise at all sensitivity levels and captures rich-gradation, fine-detailed images even in super-high-sensitivity shooting at a top sensitivity of ISO 102400.
- Dustproof, weather-resistant body perfect for rugged outdoor photography
The PENTAX KF is a dependable performer even in such demanding settings as in the rain or at locations prone to dust and freezing temperatures, because it combines a compact, easy-to-carry body with a dustproof, weather-resistant construction featuring 100 seals throughout the body and outstanding cold-proof performance at temperatures down to -10°C. To assure a firm hold of the camera body with a gloved hand, the grip, control buttons on the back panel and mode dials have all been designed and contoured for optimum operability in active outdoor shooting -- such as when mountain climbing, camping or attending sporting events. In addition to its outdoor-friendly LCD monitor, whose brightness level can be instantly adjusted to the lighting level of a shooting location, it also features a red-lighted monitor display function, which works friendly to the photographer's eye when it has become accustomed to a dark location during astronomical photography.
- Clear-view optical viewfinder
Within its compact body, the PENTAX KF incorporates a glass prism finder featuring the same optics and coatings as those used in higher-level models. With its approximately 100% field of view and nearly 0.95-times magnification, the PENTAX KF's viewfinder provides a large, clear view of the subject for quick, easy confirmation of focusing and framing. It also provides a double e-dial system identical with upper-class models, and PENTAX-original shooting features, such as the Hyper Program system which allows the user to instantly switch the exposure mode from Program to Aperture-priority or Shutter-priority without taking the eye off the viewfinder.
- Vari-angle LCD monitor for easy image viewing from all angles
The PENTAX KF's vari-angle LCD monitor allows the monitor to be positioned at the desired angle, making it easier to compose images in a wide variety of applications: high-angle shooting using outstretched arms, low-angle shots taken from ground level or astronomical photography with the camera pointed upwards toward a star-filled sky. It also features a unique air-gapless construction, in which the air space between the high-definition LCD panel (with approximately 1,037,000 dots) and the protective cover has been filled with a special resin material to effectively reduce the reflection and dispersion of light for improved visibility during outdoor shooting.
- PENTAX-original shake-reduction system featuring the Pixel Shift Resolution System
• (1) In-body SR mechanism
Thanks to the built-in PENTAX-original SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, the PENTAX KF effectively minimizes camera shake and delivers sharp, blur-free images, even in camera-shake-prone conditions such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting low-light scenes with incident light only, or photographing sunset scenes. Using a high-accuracy gyro sensor, it provides a compensation effect of 4.5 shutter steps, a level close to that of upper-class models. When taking a panning shot, this mechanism automatically detects the direction of the camera's movement, and efficiently controls the SR unit to produce the best image possible without requiring any mode switching operation.
• (2) Pixel Shift Resolution System with motion correction function The PENTAX KF features the latest super-resolution technology called Pixel Shift Resolution System,* which captures four images of the same scene by shifting the image sensor by a single pixel for each image, then synthesizes them into a single composite image. Compared to the conventional Bayer system, in which each pixel has only a single color data unit, this innovative system obtains all color data in each pixel to deliver super-high-resolution images with far more truthful colors and much finer details than those produced by conventional APS-C-size image sensors. This system even provides a motion correction function,** which automatically detects a moving object during continuous shooting and minimizes negative effects during the synthesizing process, in order to accommodate a wider range of scenes and subjects.
• (3) Innovative AA filter simulator to minimize moiré By applying microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the sub-pixel level during image exposure, the PENTAX KF's AA (anti-aliasing) filter simulator*** provides the same level of moiré reduction as an optical AA filter. Unlike an optical AA filter, which always creates the identical result, this innovative simulator lets the user switch the AA filter effect on and off, and adjust the level of the effect. This means that the ideal effect can be set for a particular scene or subject based on the current photographic conditions.
• (4) Supportive shooting functions Since the PENTAX KF's image sensor unit is designed to tilt in all directions, it provides a host of handy shooting functions, including: ASTROTRACER, which simplifies advanced astronomical photography in combination with the optional O-GPS2 GPS Unit; and the Auto Horizon Correction and Extra Sharpness functions.
* When using this system, the user is advised to stabilize the camera firmly on a tripod. When a moving subject is captured in the camera's image field, its image may not be reproduced clearly, either in part or as a whole.
** The movement may not be sufficiently corrected when the object is moving in a certain direction and/or pattern. This function does not guarantee that the movement is properly corrected with all subjects.
*** This function works most effectively with a shutter speed of 1/1000 second or slower. This function may not be combined with some shooting modes, including the Pixel Shift Resolution system.
- Hybrid AF system for high-speed AF operation during Live View shooting
The PENTAX KF employs the Hybrid AF system during Live View autofocus operation. By positioning a contrast-detection AF sensor with superior focusing accuracy and a phase-matching AF sensor on the image sensor's surface, this innovative hybrid system optimizes the benefits of both AF systems to assure high-speed, pinpoint AF focusing on the subject.
- High-precision autofocus system with the SAFOX X module
The PENTAX KF features the high-precision SAFOX X AF sensor module, which assures responsive, dependable autofocus operation. With its 11 sensors including nine cross-type sensors in the middle, this AF module assures pinpoint focus on the subject at a minimum brightness level as low as -3 EV. It also assures outstanding AF tracking performance with subjects on the move, thanks to such advanced features as the Select-area Expansion function, which automatically refocuses on a moving subject after it moves away from the initial point, with the help of the neighboring points; and an AF Hold function that maintains the initial in-focus point even when the module loses sight of the subject.
- An array of image processing functions for diversified photographic expression
The PENTAX KF provides the PENTAX-developed Custom Image function, which lets the user process an image with the desired finishing touch to express the creative intention, or to suit the particular scene. This function provides 14 Custom Image modes, including: SATOBI, which reproduces the colors resembling those of color pictures in the 60s and 70s, with cyan-tinged blues, subdued yellows and faded reds; Bleach Bypass, which recreates the profound atmosphere of movie scenes; and Cross Processing, which adds fantastic, unusual colors to captured images. In combination with PENTAX Limited-series lenses, which are popular for their distinctive image renditions, the PENTAX KF also provides a series of special-edition Custom Image modes.
- A host of interval shooting functions
The PENTAX KF provides a host of advanced interval shooting functions, including: 4K-resolution Interval Movie, which lets you record a series of still images at a fixed interval and link them into a single 4K-resolution movie file; Star Stream Movie, which lets you record the traces of stars or illuminations on a 4K-resolution movie file; and Interval Composite, which synthesizes a composite image with a choice of three synthesis modes (average, additive and comparative).
- Wireless LAN connection to support smartphone operation
The PENTAX KF provides a host of wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) functions to support operations using smartphones and tablet computers. By installing the dedicated Image Sync application in a mobile device, the user can remotely check the Live View image, capture still images, and adjust such camera settings as aperture, shutter speed and ISO sensitivity to the desired level through the mobile device. It is even possible to download captured images onto the mobile device, then upload them on social networking service websites.
- Other features
• 77-segment multi-pattern metering system for high-precision light metering
• DR (Dust Removal) mechanism to shake dust off from the surface of the CMOS image sensor
• High-speed shutter unit with a top speed of 1/6000 second, and high-speed continuous shooting function at a top speed of approximately six images per second
• Self-timer function, compatible with the continuous shooting function
| About Ricoh |
Ricoh is empowering digital workplaces using innovative technologies and services that enable individuals to work smarter from anywhere.
With cultivated knowledge and organizational capabilities nurtured over its 85-year history, Ricoh is a leading provider of digital services, information management, and print and imaging solutions designed to support digital transformation and optimize business performance.
Headquartered in Tokyo, Ricoh Group has major operations throughout the world and its products and services now reach customers in approximately 200 countries and regions. In the financial year ended March 2022, Ricoh Group had worldwide sales of 1,758 billion yen (approx. 14.5 billion USD). For further information, please visit www.ricoh.com
© 2022 RICOH IMAGING CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved
The complete press release with detailed specifications can be found here.