Pentax Announces Optio WG-2
Waterproof successor the the WG-1
By PF Staff in Pentax Announcements on Feb 7, 2012
Pentax has just announced the Optio WG-2, representing the thirteenth generation of Pentax rugged "adverture-proof" compact digital cameras.
Highlights of the new WG-2 include:
- A new backlit 16 megapixel CMOS sensor
- Waterproof to 40 feet, resistant to drops from up to 5 feet, coldproof to -10 degrees C, and crushproof
- 5x zoom lens equivalent to 28-140mm on film
- HVGA 3-inch wide LCD with protective cover
- Full HD video recording at 30fps, H.264 format
- HDMI output
- Optional GPS, featuring improved battery life and performance (add $49)
- MSRP: $349
The camera will be available in four colors: red, white, black, and orange. It should be noted that the red and black versions of the camera don't have GPS, while the orange and white versions do. We expect that more colors will be made available later on.
Based on the specifications, it looks like the WG-2 is much more modern than its predecessor, the WG-1. Support for the H.264 video format as well as the backlit sensor and improved GPS unit are very welcome additions!
For more information about the WG-2, visit its entry in the camera database.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax K-1 II with Free Grip is Back!
- 40% Off Storewide at Topaz: Spring Sale!
- Part 3: How Godzilla stomped on my Lightroom habit
- K-1 II Dynamic Pixel Shift: First Impressions
- Pentax FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Review Posted
- March "Birds" Contest Finalists...
- D FA★ 50mm F1.4 Production Delayed
- Pentax K-1 II In Stock in the US