Coming in 2021: HD Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW Lens
A modernized version of the popular premium zoom
By PF Staff in Pentax Announcements on Feb 26, 2021
Leading up to CP+ 2021, an upgraded version of the DA* 16-50mm zoom was just announced. Like its predecessor, this new version is designed for the APS-C format, but features a pulse motor (PLM) for high-speed AF operation in still-image shooting and smooth AF tracking operation during movie recording. The aperture control is electronic meaning that this new lens has a KAF4 mount without mechanical coupling to the camera. The lens coating has been upgraded to HD, and we expect the optics to be all-new.
HD PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED PLM AW (tentative name), high-performance Star-series lens for PENTAX APS-C-format digital SLR cameras
RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. are pleased to announce the development of the new-generation high-performance Star-series lens, the "HD PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED PLM AW (tentative name)" designed exclusively for APS-C size digital SLR cameras.
This new lens is the latest model of PENTAX's new-generation Star series. In developing this series, PENTAX conducted an extensive review of its in-house standards, particularly in regard to resolving power, to pursue its ultimate goals: top-class image quality, large aperture, and exceptional dependability and operability. Currently in development, this lens is designed to deliver the highest level of performance, and to be regarded as the ideal standard zoom lens for the PENTAX K-3 Mark III, the new flagship of PENTAX's APS-C-format digital SLR lineup. PENTAX plans to make a public announcement of this product shortly. Please look forward to the announcement and market launch.
- Product name: HD PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED PLM AW (tentative name)
- High-performance Star-series model providing excellent resolution even at open aperture
- PENTAX K-mount covering the image circle of an APS-C-format image sensor
- Large-aperture, standard-angle zoom lens with a maximum aperture of F2.8 (fixed) and an angle of view between 24.5mm and 76.5mm (in the 35mm format)
- KAF4 lens mount corresponding to electromagnetic diaphragm-control mechanism
- Pulse motor (PLM) for high-speed AF operation in still-image shooting, and smooth AF tracking operation during movie recording
- AW (All-Weather) structure to prevent intrusion of dust and rain for use in demanding shooting conditions
- Minimum shooting distance of 0.4 meters
- Market launch: Scheduled for the 2021
Note: Model name, design, and specification and market launch schedules is all tentative and subject to change without notice. Price will be announced at later date.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax DA* 16-50mm PLM Overview Video
- Announcing Our June, 2023 Photo Contest
- Ricoh Dethrones Canon as the Copier King
- April 2023 "Reflection" Photo Contest...
- Pentax Film Project: Lost Engineering Being Reborn
- Pentax Custom Image Guide: From Satobi to Harubeni
- New versions of the FA 50mm F1.4
- April "Reflection" Contest Finalists...