Pentax K-3: Best Expert DSLR (TIPA 2014)
The Pentax flagship DSLR wins a prestigious award
By PF Staff in Pentax Announcements on Apr 23, 2014
The Pentax K-3 has been voted as the "Best Expert DSLR" of 2014 by editors of the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA), an organization consisting of 29 photography magazines from 16 different countries. TIPA states that "a TIPA Awards endorsement is the highest accolade for any photo and imaging product." Each year, TIPA presents 40 awards in a wide variety of categories, from everyday accessories to professional photographic equipment. This year's awards were determined at a convention held on April 5th in Vancouver, and these awards are being announced to the public today.
Three other Pentax DSLRs have been recognized by TIPA in the past:
- 2011: Pentax 645D (Best Professional DSLR)
- 2010: Pentax K-x (Best Entry-Level DSLR)
- 2007: Pentax K10D (Best Expert DSLR)
TIPA's selection of the K-3 comes as no surprise, as this high-performance 24-megapixel camera delivers a host of innovative and class-leading features, such as a 8.3 FPS shutter, hardware moire reduction, and a large LCD screen with a 3:2 aspect ratio. From a hardware perspective, the K-3 is Pentax's most technologically-advanced DSLR to date.
Other noteworthy cameras in this year's TIPA awards include the Olympus EM-10, Samsung NX30, Fuji XT-1 and Sony A7r in the Entry-Level, Advanced, Expert, and Professional mirrorless categories, and the Nikon D3300, Canon 70D, and Nikon D4s in the Entry-Level, Advanced, and Professional DSLR categories, respectively. The Nikon 1 AW1 was awarded "Best Rugged Compact Camera", a distinction given to the Pentax WG-2 back in 2012. The complete list of award winners is available on TIPA's web site.
Considering that the recently-announced Pentax 645Z shares most of its hardware with the K-3 but packs an impressive medium-format sensor at a very affordable price, we wouldn't be surprised if it were to catch TIPA's attention in 2015.
The Pentax K-3 normally retails for $1299 in the US, but there are currently some exciting deals available:
- B&H Photo is offering a free Pentax AF-540FGZ flash and an SD card with your purchase of the camera, a value of over $450. Click here to get your K-3 with a free flash! (optionally bundle additional lenses for even greater savings)
- Adorama Camera is offering a free Pentax 50mm F1.8 lens, a BG-5 battery grip, and an SD card with your purchase of the camera, which is also a value of over $450. Click here to get your K-3 with a free lens and grip! (to redeem the offer: click on the "save up to $455.90 with bundle" link, then select your freebies from the popup, and finally add the camera to your cart)
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- HD Pentax D-FA 150-450mm F4.5-F5.6 Review Posted
- Review of the Off Road Hiker 30 Backpack by...
- Pentax KP $987 with Free Battery Grip
- The Making of "Island Hopping in the Tidal...
- Behind the Scenes: Ultra-Wide Review Cover Photo
- Big June Pentax Lens Sale
- "Flowing Water" Photo Contest Winners
- Topaz Releases Free Topaz Studio