Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory
Fix available for on/off switch issue
By PF Staff in Pentax Announcements on Jul 10, 2015
In our early testing of one of several Pentax K-3 II bodies, we discovered an issue that resulted in an unresponsive on/off switch regardless of camera settings. Consistent freezing when accessing the GPS menu also occurred. We quickly alerted Ricoh Imaging in Japan of the issue and received acknowledgement that it was being investigated. In the mean time, dozens of users on the forum have reported having the same experience and returned or exchanged their K-3 II's as a result.
Today, Ricoh announced that service centers worldwide are now able to correct the issue and only K-3 II bodies with a serial number under 6206660 (see exceptions below) are affected. Free servicing and inspections are being offered to owners of K-3 II bodies within the affected serial number range.
This suggests that the erratic behavior of affected units is tied to a hardware problem and cannot be resolved via a firmware update. Note that this problem is specific to the Pentax K-3 II and does not affect the K-3 or any other Pentax DSLR body. Similarly, new K-3 II units that roll off the assembly line will not be affected.
US Press Release
The clips below illustrate the issue.
Unresponsive on/off switch:
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Travel Photography - Making the Most of Your...
- HD Pentax D-FA 150-450mm F4.5-F5.6 Review Posted
- Review of the Off Road Hiker 30 Backpack by...
- Pentax KP $987 with Free Battery Grip
- The Making of "Island Hopping in the Tidal...
- Behind the Scenes: Ultra-Wide Review Cover Photo
- Big June Pentax Lens Sale
- "Flowing Water" Photo Contest Winners