Ricoh GR II Silver Edition Announced
Commemorating 80 years of the Ricoh company
Ricoh Imaging has announced a special Silver Edition of the Ricoh GR II to commemorate 80 years of the Ricoh Company. In addition to the main body color, the front ring, shutter release button, and GR logo have received unique styling for this particular model. A power-off screen that "expresses the GR product concept" has also been added. The camera is accompanied by a unique black leather case and strap and comes in a special box.
Ricoh GR II Special Edition - Click to enlarge
The pocketable GR II is one of the world's smallest compact digital cameras with an APS-C sensor. It builds on its predecessor, the Ricoh GR, by incorporating Wi-Fi and NFC.
We currently have no details on pricing and availability of the Ricoh GR II Silver Edition, though production will be limited to 3200 units worldwide.
Special Case - Click to enlarge
This is the second special version of the GR body; the GR Limited Edition with green styling was launched back in 2013. In October 2015, a GR II Premium Kit made its debut, though this featured a standard version of the GR II body (see below).
See also: Ricoh GR II Premium Kit Announced
Alongside the GR II, Ricoh unveiled a 0.35x GM-1 conversion lens that allows macro focusing on subjects between 1.6" and 3.3" from the front of the lens. Firmware updates adding support for this accessory have been released for both the GR (v5.00) and GR II (v2.00).
Ricoh GM-1 lens
Learn more about the APS-C family of GR cameras in our Ricoh GR Review. The standard version of the Ricoh GR II currently retails for $559 in the US and £499 in the UK.
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the GR II Silver Edition to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the foundation of Ricoh Company, Ltd. This exclusive package consists of a silver-color edition of the GR II high-end digital compact camera (launched in July 2015) and an exclusively designed camera case. It will be marketed in a limited quantity of 3,200 units worldwide.
The GR II is the smallest premium digital compact camera, offering digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) image quality with Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality.
The GR 18.3mm F2.8 lens is a compact, high-performance GR lens with a focal length [corresponding to] 28mm in the 35 mm format. It also boasts a large, APS-C-size CMOS image sensor with approximately 16.2 effective megapixels.
- The camera body has a stylish, high-grade, silver-color leather-tone finish. Its exterior coating features an elegant, grained texture created by spraying droplets of a coating material onto the camera body.
- The package has distinctive features creating a sense of exclusivity different from the standard GR II model: the shutter release button and the ring cap have been finished in silver identical to that of the camera body; the lens description are engraved on the front ring using a diamond-cutting process; the GR logo's color on the camera's front panel has been changed to white; and the product box has been specially designed for this package.
- When the camera's power is turned off, the camera displays an original termination screen, which has a solid, high-grade design expressing the GR II's product concept.
- The package includes a black, genuine-leather camera case exclusively designed for the GR II camera body. It provides some features useful for quick-action snapshot photography, including a belt loop on the back, and a top cover that opens fully for easy removal of the camera body.
- The camera's specifications are identical to those of the standard GR II model.
- The design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Click on either thumbnail to enlarge.