Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners
A detailed look at the fundamentals of exposure, shutter speed, and aperture
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on May 25, 2015
If you're just starting out with your DSLR and still primarily shooting in Auto mode or P mode, we'd like to invite you to read our latest article: a tutorial on the fundamentals of exposure. In it, you will learn how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO work together to expose images, and how each setting affects the appearance of your photos. By the end of the article, you will have a much firmer grasp of exposure which should make you ready to start using the full range of shooting modes available on your camera. The end goal is to give you more creative control over what you capture every day.
We hope you find the tutorial helpful!
If you've already mastered the basics, don't miss our more advanced articles on exposure:
- Exposure Bracketing 101
- Landscape Photography: How to Expose for Mixed Lighting
- Using the Histogram to Get Better Photos
- A Basic Guide to Long Exposures
- Daylight Long Exposures Using an ND Filter
- Long Exposure Composite Photography
- T-Stops vs F-Stops in a Camera Lens
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- A Shift in Strategy: What is Pentax's...
- April 2022 "Urban Landscape" Photo...
- Savings on Topaz Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs
- Ricoh announces new WG-80 point and shoot camera
- Pentax K-3 Mark III Continuous Autofocus...
- April "Urban Landscape" Contest...
- U.S. Pentax Deal Roundup: May 12, 2022
- Win a SMC Pentax DA 21mm: Special Photo Contest