K-3 III How-to: Aperture Bracketing
How to use Aperture Bracketing with the K-3 III
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jun 3, 2021
The K-3 Mark III is the second Pentax DSLR to offer aperture bracketing, the first one being the Pentax KP.
This feature is particular useful when shooting macro. It can be hard to evaluate whether or not you got the right depth of field by reviewing your images on the rear monitor when out in the field. A common technique to counter this is to shoot at several apertures and then select the frame with the right amount of depth of field when you get home to your computer monitor. We've always used that technique by painstakingly taking several shots at different apertures ("running the aperture").
With the K-3 Mark III you can automate this process and have the camera take three images at different apertures (but at the same exposure value) with one push of the shutter button.
Aperture bracketing is only available in Av and TAv mode; not in Hyper Program or any of the other exposure modes which do not allow for the camera to set the aperture.
Step 1: Set Av (or TAv) Exposure Mode
Step 2: Set Your Baseline Aperture With the Rear E-dial
We usually start out from F5.6 when shooting flowers close up.
Step 3: Set Aperture Bracketing Mode
- Hit the Drive Mode button on the four way controller
- Select the upper most of the two drive mode groups (marked "A" below) to get to the Drive selection screen
- Select the Aperture Bracketing option (marked "C" below)
- Using the rear e-dial select the desired EV steps between shots (see "D" below). A positive value means that the aperture range will go from your baseline aperture towards smaller apertures (e.g. 5.6 - 8 - 11 if you set the EV step to +1). A negative value makes the aperture range go the other way (e.g. 5.6 - 4 - 2.8).
- Hit OK.
The INFO screen will serve as a reminder that you have engaged aperture bracketing ("E" above).
Step 4: Compose, Focus and Shoot
The camera will take three images in short succession.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- September "Cars, Trucks, Planes, Trains in...
- HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 Limited Lens...
- Pentax K-3 III: Free Battery Grip
- PentaxTips: Spotting the 8-Element Super...
- Introducing PentaxTips on PentaxForums
- Ricoh GR IIIx Available for US Pre-order
- Announcing Our October 2021 Photo Contest
- Pentax K-3 III Firmware Update v1.20 Released