Pentax Lens Terminology
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Aug 8, 2011
The following terms are commonly used in Pentax lens names and descriptions.
|Limited||Compact, top quality|
|ED||Extra-low dispersion element|
|SDM||Supersonic drive motor|
|Quick Shift||Manual focus adjustments can be made
in AF mode simply by moving focusing ring
|OS||Optical Stabilizer (Sigma)|
|HSM||Hypersonic Drive Motor (Sigma)|
|SMC||Super Multi Coating (standard coating)|
|HD||High Definition Coating (premium nano coating)|
Pentax Lens Series
Pentax produced several series of lenses over the years. Series in active development include the DA (digital-only), DA L (budget kit lenses) and D-FA (digital-optimized full-frame ); some FA (full-frame) lenses are also still in production. Basic differences between them are outlined in the table below. Read more about the different series here.
|Autofocus||Quick Shift||Auto-Aperture||Aperture Ring||DSLR-Compatibility|
Exhaustive Lens Listings
We feature lens databases complete with every Pentax lens every produced, containing technical specifications as well as over 5,000 user-submitted reviews. Visit the databases!
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- K-1 Hardware Upgrade: Pentax Loves You, Too
- Pentax K-1 II Officially Announced
- Lensbaby's New Burnside 35: Swirl and...
- Cactus Enhances Wireless Flash Capabilities for...
- Pentax K-1 II Preliminary Specifications
- Pentax K-1 II On the Horizon
- K-3 II Farewell Deal: Price drop & free grip
- Announcing "Moonscape" - Our February...