Pentax Lens vs Camera Plot & Statistics
Which lenses are used the most, and on which cameras?
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Nov 4, 2012
Have you ever wondered which lenses are used the most with various Pentax cameras? Well, today we've put together a chart that answers this question! Click here to view the Pentax Lens Usage Statistics page.
Once you're on the page linked above, you can hover over any cell to view statistics for the corresponding camera/lens combination. Warmer colors in the chart correspond to higher frequencies, while colder colors correspond to lower frequencies. The data presented in the chart is based on 80,000 photo uploads on our forum. The final data set was reduced to about 20,000 photos, as all that didn't have both camera and lens information were removed. The data has also been normalized, which means the colors correspond to proportions rather than absolute frequencies. Cameras with fewer than 400 total users are not included in the chart, nor are lenses with fewer than 90 users.
The charts are based on user count, not photo frequency, so multiple photo uploads on the forum do not skew the data.
We also decided not to include manual lenses on the main chart because of their overwhelming frequency: they account for about 25% of all camera users in our data set. We did plot this separately, however:
Interestingly, the Pentax K-r, K-x, and K200D had the highest K/M lens frequencies. In addition, the plot suggests that older (i.e. second-hand) DSLRs are paired more frequently with manual lenses. Finally, despite their low cost, M42 lenses are nowhere near as polular as manual K-mount lenses. In the plot above, n=383 for M42 lenses and 1311 for K, M, and A lenses (where n is the number of users).
From the main plot you can also observe that Pentax enthusiast DSLRs (the K-5, K-7, K20D, and K10D) have a much more diverse array of popular lenses, while the remaining intro-level DSLRs tend to stick to kit lenses.
As would be expected, the K200D and K20D see the most extensive use of the "mark II" 18-55mm kit lens, which was released at around the same time as those two cameras. The K-7, which could be purchased with a weather-sealed version of the same lens, sees much lower use of the other 18-55mm's. Finally, with the debut of the Pentax 18-135mm (arguably one of the most versatile lenses currently available), many users were drawn away from the 18-55mm lens altogether.
Most Popular Pentax Lenses
Here is a list of the top Pentax lenses, and the associated raw user frequencies:
- Smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL, 505
- Smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, 415
- Smc PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED, 217
- Smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM, 214
- Smc PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM, 208
- Smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR, 207
- Smc PENTAX-DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL, 193
- Smc PENTAX-FA 50mm F1.4, 178
- Smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II, 174
- Smc PENTAX-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED, 166
- Tamron AF70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro, 154
- Smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, 148
- Smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited, 145
- Smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED, 121
- Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di, 116
- Smc PENTAX-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF], 108
- Smc PENTAX-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR, 106
- Smc PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited, 105
- Sigma AF 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC, 105
- Smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR, 103
- Smc PENTAX-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF], 100
- Smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited, 99
- Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di-II LD, 98
- Smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited, 95
- Smc PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED[IF], 94
- Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Macro, 93
To learn more about these lenses, please visit our Pentax Lens Database.
Most Popular Pentax Cameras
- PENTAX K-5, 1683
- PENTAX K10D, 1260
- PENTAX K20D, 1164
- PENTAX K-x, 985
- PENTAX K-7, 830
- PENTAX K200D, 482
- PENTAX K-r, 469
- PENTAX K100D, 415
- PENTAX K100D Super, 167
- PENTAX *ist DS, 148
Similarly, to learn more about these cameras, please visit our Pentax Camera Database.
We hope you enjoyed looking at this chart!
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Review of the Photocross 13 Sling Bag by...
- May "People - Candid or Street"...
- Irix 15mm F2.4 Firefly & Blackstone Review...
- The Making of "Lake Kilstivatnet"
- Announcing "Rivers and Fjords" - Our...
- Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018
- Pentax K-1 Upgrade Service Now Available: Guide
- "Boats" Contest Winners