Comprehensive Pentax P-TTL Flash Guide Updated
Second edition downlodable PDF by Nigel McGregor
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Oct 29, 2015
Flash photography is an extremely broad topic that can be difficult to master, especially with the growing number of features offered by modern flash systems. Today we hope to make things a little easier for you with an updated version of Nigel McGregor's comprehensive guide to Pentax flashes. The guide, which was written to support and encourage confidence and ease of use when taking flash photographs with Pentax cameras, has been expanded and improved as a result of a great deal of feedback from the community.
Download the Pentax Flash Guide 2nd Edition (PDF, 30Mb)
Download the Supplement to the 2nd Edition, July 2017 (PDF, 6.6 Mb)
In the guide, you will learn about every aspect of flash operation as implemented within the Pentax proprietary digital camera system. This includes the camera modes and camera custom settings, flash modes and accessory flashgun features, practical flash photography steps and special flash operations such as High Speed Sync and Wireless (off-camera) flash. Also covered are the variations to flashgun functioning caused by different lens types (i.e. DA and older autofocus types, A series types, M & K series types).
The following changes have been made in the second edition:
- Improved information surrounding P-TTL functioning with differing lens types
- Expanded feature listings for Dedicated System flashes and Radio Triggered alternatives
- Addition of X-Sync Mode within the Camera Exposure Modes section
- New images of the AF-540FGZ II WR Flash, including control panel and displays
- Expanded coverage of the new features with the AF 540FGZ II WR
- Side by Side Coverage of the older & newer flagship Pentax Flashes
- Expanded Wireless Operations section including new discussion on multi-flash exposure control using the Lighting Ratio Control and Flash Compensation options
- New look and font plus Page Numbers added
We hope you enjoy the guide and as always, further feedback is welcome in the comments below!
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax DA* 16-50mm PLM Overview Video
- Announcing Our June, 2023 Photo Contest
- Ricoh Dethrones Canon as the Copier King
- April 2023 "Reflection" Photo Contest...
- Pentax Film Project: Lost Engineering Being Reborn
- Pentax Custom Image Guide: From Satobi to Harubeni
- New versions of the FA 50mm F1.4
- April "Reflection" Contest Finalists...
af 540 fgz ii, flash, flashgun, guide, lighting, p-ttl, pentax, photography, ttl