Dispelling a rumor: on Ricoh's use of the Pentax name
By PF Staff in Photo Industry News on May 26, 2019
A rumor has made its way across the Internet in in the past few days that Ricoh will lose its ability to use the Pentax trademark in 2020 (visit the forum to see how the discussion evolved). We reached out to Ricoh Imaging (in Japan) for an official statement and this is the reply we received:
"This is not a fact at all. It is true that Hoya is the owner of the PENTAX trademark, but there are no restrictions or limitations for Ricoh to use the Pentax brand in the camera business. We will continue to offer the Pentax brand cameras beyond 2020."
So there you have it. The Pentax name is not going anywhere and Ricoh (obviously) plans to continue developing Pentax products.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax DA* 16-50mm PLM Overview Video
- Announcing Our June, 2023 Photo Contest
- Ricoh Dethrones Canon as the Copier King
- April 2023 "Reflection" Photo Contest...
- Pentax Film Project: Lost Engineering Being Reborn
- Pentax Custom Image Guide: From Satobi to Harubeni
- New versions of the FA 50mm F1.4
- April "Reflection" Contest Finalists...