Nikon D7100 Announced
New flagship APS-C body from Nikon
By PF Staff in Photo Industry News on Feb 21, 2013
- 24.1 megapixel APS-C sensor
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 25,600)
- 51-point autofocus with 15 cross-type points
- 6FPS burst mode with up to 100 frames
- Full-HD video at up to 60FPS
- Dual SD card slots
- 3.2" LCD with 1,229,000 dots
- 100% viewfinder with OLED data readout
- In-camera HDR and wireless connectivity support
- Fully weather-sealed
- MSRP: $1199 (body-only)
This surprisingly-low price may say something about way in which the APS-C camera industry is headed. With the Pentax K-5 available for just $739 and the Nikon D7000 for $899, and current high-end APS-C cameras selling in the low $1000's, the advanced APS-C DSLR may well be fully replaced by cameras employing 24x36mm full-frame sensors in the near future, with mirrorless offerings gaining an increasing presence among enthusiasts uninterested in shooting in a larger format. Just over two years ago, the Pentax K-5 launched at a MSRP of $1749, and the Canon 7D was $1899, which is much much higher than anyone would be willing to pay today for such a camera.
While Nikon announcements are normally outside of our homepage coverage, we are sharing this news because we feel it's a fairly good prediction of what Pentax's upcoming APS-C flagship may bring to the table. Recent rumors suggest that Pentax will be launching a 24-megapixel DSLR called the K-3 later this year to replace the K-5. Given the success of the 24-megapixel sensor found in the Nikon D5200, and now the introduction of the 24-megapixel D7100, it's possible that Pentax will follow suit and employ the same sensor in their new DSLR. As many of you know, the Pentax K-5 uses the same sensor as the D7000 but still managed to squeeze a little bit more out of it once the image test results came in, thanks to better in-camera signal processing!
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Savings on Topaz Gigapixel AI from Topaz Labs
- Ricoh announces new WG-80 point and shoot camera
- Pentax K-3 Mark III Continuous Autofocus...
- April "Urban Landscape" Contest...
- U.S. Pentax Deal Roundup: May 12, 2022
- Win a SMC Pentax DA 21mm: Special Photo Contest
- Ricoh WG-6 Firmware Update Adds Webcam...
- U.S. Pentax Deal Roundup: May 3, 2022