Ricoh Theta S and Pentax K-1 Win TIPA 2016 Awards
Best design, best full-frame DSLR expert
By PF Staff in Photo Industry News on Apr 18, 2016
The Ricoh Theta S and Pentax K-1 have been regonized as the best product design and best expert full-frame DSLR of 2016, respectively, by the editors of the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA). TIPA is an organization consisting of 27 photography magazines from 15 different countries whose endorsement is claimed to be "the highest accolade for any photo and imaging product." Each year, TIPA presents 40 awards in a wide variety of categories, from consumer accessories to professional photographic equipment.
The Pentax K-1, which represents Pentax's debut in the digital full-frame market, introduces host of unique features for a full-frame DSLR: it offers 5-axis sensor-shift stabilization, an innovative AA filter simulator, pixel shift super resolution, and an built-in GPS with star tracking support (Astrotracer). We recently blogged about all the things that make the Pentax K-1 unique.
Similarly, the Ricoh Theta S breaks ground by offering 360-degree live view, social spherical video sharing, and an updated body that focuses on ergonomics (see our in-depth review for details).
Eight other Pentax/Ricoh cameras have previously been recognized by TIPA:
- 2015: Pentax 645Z (Best Medium Format DSLR)
- 2015: Pentax K-S2 (Best Advanced DSLR)
- 2015: Ricoh WG-M1 (Best ActionCam)
- 2014: Pentax K-3 (Best Expert DSLR)
- 2012: Pentax WG-2 (Best Rugged Compact)
- 2011: Pentax 645D (Best Professional DSLR)
- 2010: Pentax K-x (Best Entry-Level DSLR)
- 2007: Pentax K10D (Best Expert DSLR)
No Pentax-compatible lenses were part of this year's awards. See the TIPA web site for the full list of awards.
Have your say— what is your opinion on the TIPA awards? With so many products being selected each year, several categories with only a handful of contenders, and TIPA's website offering little insight beyond basic specifications for each product chosen, how significant do you think these awards are? While we feel that both the K-1 and Theta S certainly deserve the recognition, it's hard to look past the fact that the K-1 has yet to start shipping. TIPA is seemingly creating award categories based on the products being launched each year. Ultimately, all other full-frame bodies launched for 2016 (Nikon D5, Canon 1DX II, Canon 5DS/R) also won an award in a category that did not exist in 2015, as did the K-1.
Tell us what you think in the comments below!
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Pentax KF, K-3 III and K-3 III Monochrome...
- Pentax O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaning Kit Review
- August "People" Contest Finalists...
- The Pentax Cross-format Lens and Accessory Guide
- Clackers: The master of dad jokes, beginner...
- Announcing Our September, 2023 Photo Contest
- The Making of "Bordeaux - Pont de...
- July 2023 "Bridges" Photo Contest...