Comparative Review: HD vs SMC Pentax FA Limited Lenses
By bdery in Review Announcements on Jun 20, 2021
We are excited to present our comparative review of the new HD Pentax FA Limited lenses: refreshed versions of the three SMC FA Limited lenses (31mm F1.8, 43mm F1.9, and 77mm F1.8) that have been around for two decades. Even today, this trio (sometimes called the "Three Princesses" or "Three Amigos") is considered among the best lenses available for the K-mount.
In 2021, Pentax released an updated version of the three FA Limited lenses. The update involves newer coatings, the use of curved aperture blades, and minimal cosmetic changes.
Revisiting a classic comes with a certain level of risk. The three FA Limited are popular in a large part because of their unique rendering (sometimes called "pixie dust" by users). In this review, we perform a detailed comparison of all the parameters likely to be influenced by the updates to the lenses.
Read on to see the detailed comparison of the SMC and HD FA Limited lenses!
Want to win one of the new HD FA Limiteds? To celebrate their launch, we we are giving away your choice of one of these lenses. Enter the giveaway here (ends July 31, 2021)!
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Announcing Our October, 2023 Photo Contest
- August 2023 "People" Photo Contest...
- Pentax KF, K-3 III and K-3 III Monochrome...
- Pentax O-ICK1 Sensor Cleaning Kit Review
- August "People" Contest Finalists...
- The Pentax Cross-format Lens and Accessory Guide
- Clackers: The master of dad jokes, beginner...
- Announcing Our September, 2023 Photo Contest