Pentax M, FA, and D FA* 50mm F1.4 comparison
Fast Pentax 50mm lenses compared
By bdery in Review Announcements on Apr 9, 2019
The Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 is the 6th generation of 50mm F1.4 lenses produced by Pentax for the K-mount. The previous versions all kept the same basic properties: a compact body, lightweight and unobtrusive, with reliable optical performances.
The D FA* broke the mold, with a significantly larger body and totally redesigned optical formula. This new lens comes with the promise of unparalleled results.
This review takes a look at the D FA* 50mm and compares it with the film-era FA and M 50mm lenses. All share the same focal length and maximum aperture, but are vastly different. The M lens is a fully manual, metal-bodied lens, while the FA sports a plastic body and features autofocus and automatic exposure.
About 40 years separate the M 50mm to its D FA* counterpart. Things are sure to have evolved, but to what extent? Read our comparison review to find out.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Astrotracer Type 3 added for Pentax K-1, K-1...
- Announcing Our December, 2023 Photo Contest
- Pentax eBook Sale: Save 25%
- October 2023 "Night Scene" Photo...
- Black Friday: The Ultimate Forum Account Upgrade!
- The New "Best of Pentax Forums"...
- Pentax WG-90 point and shoot camera announced
- Now Live: November 2023 Limited Lens Giveaway