Pentax M, FA, and D FA* 50mm F1.4 comparison
Fast Pentax 50mm lenses compared
By bdery in Review Announcements on Apr 9, 2019
The Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 is the 6th generation of 50mm F1.4 lenses produced by Pentax for the K-mount. The previous versions all kept the same basic properties: a compact body, lightweight and unobtrusive, with reliable optical performances.
The D FA* broke the mold, with a significantly larger body and totally redesigned optical formula. This new lens comes with the promise of unparalleled results.
This review takes a look at the D FA* 50mm and compares it with the film-era FA and M 50mm lenses. All share the same focal length and maximum aperture, but are vastly different. The M lens is a fully manual, metal-bodied lens, while the FA sports a plastic body and features autofocus and automatic exposure.
About 40 years separate the M 50mm to its D FA* counterpart. Things are sure to have evolved, but to what extent? Read our comparison review to find out.
More from the Pentax Forums Homepage
- Cyber Monday: Forum Account Upgrade Special
- Pentax Black Friday Deal Roundup - 2020
- Pentax K-1 II - US Black Friday Savings 2020
- The Making of "Butterfly"
- October 2020 "Insects" Photo Contest...
- October "Insects" Contest Finalists...
- 2020 Pentax Forums T-shirts Now Available
- Win a Pentax K-70: Daily raffle entries in...