Review statistics for sutherland
Cameras Added 0  (View Cameras Added)
Latest Review Posted Pentax K-1 II
When I was deciding to make the move back to Full Frame after selling my D750, I was left with one of three options:

Further expand on my Nikon System with either the:
Option 1: D810
Option 2: D850

Return to Pentax with the:
Options 3: K-1II

The D850 was knocked out of the running mainly because of the 100MB Raw files. Being a Nikon user, upgrading your system is a common 'hidden' cost for some D850 owners. I was seriously considering the D810. Despite being an older camera, it compares well to the newer K-1II.

I went with the K-1II over the Nikon D810 for two reasons.
1. Image Quality. I far preferred the color depth, dynamic range, and noise handling of the K-1II.
2. Price. A new K-1II is $1,000 less than a new D810.

Now the disappointing news:
Write speeds.

Having owned the Pentax K-5IIs previously, I noticed the slow write times with the first handful of images I shot. That little orange light just flickering away. As a consumer, I should have done my due diligence and not expected improvements in this area just because it was a recently released camera.

When I searched the forums for potential ways to mitigate it (excluding the obvious of 'deactivate all image correction/reduction'), I came across some gems:
- 'shoot in APS-C'
- 'JPG processing is just as good'

Seriously?!? What's the point of buying a full frame camera with arguably some of the BEST Image Output coming from a Full Frame Sensor to just limit? This should have been a...

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!