Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Noise
 7.5
19 51,530 Sun January 1, 2017

Pentax *ist DS

The Pentax * istDS was Pentax's second entry into the DSLR market, and was a less expensive model than the *istD. To reduce cost many of its features are accessible only via the menu system. In this way a number of buttons has been eliminated. In addition to P-TTL flash automation the *istDS also has TTL flash automation which is a big plus for flash photography with older lenses. Autofocus mode is locked to AF.S except in Moving Object program, where it is locked to AF.C.

Camera Manuals:

Multiple exposures
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Power zoom
Not supported
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant and RE (retractable) lenses. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses and with KAF3 mount lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX VIII, 11 focus points (9 cross type))
AF Points
Card slots
Dust removal
Dust alert
Memory card type
SD (SDHC with firmware upgrade)
Size (W x H x D)
125 x 92.5 x 66 mm
File format
PEF (RAW),JPG
Battery life
AA lithium: 750 images (650 images with 50% flash usage)
Battery
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync*, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control* * Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Connectivity
USB 2.0/Video out, DC in, cable release
Latest Firmware
Version 2.02
The *istD and DS/DS2 are the only Pentax DSLRs with support for TTL flash. TTL flash works where P-TTL doesnt: With M and K lenses, bellows, manual extension tubes.
Manual: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/istds.pdf

Add Review of Pentax *ist DS
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 19

Registered: March, 2015
Review Date: January 1, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, full support for analogue TTL protocol
Cons: Poor high-ISO and AF performance compared to modern bodies,
Years Owned: 0.25    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 7    Features: 7    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 6    New or Used: Used

This review is written from the POV of a K-5 shooter who used to own an *istDL.

I bought this camera specifically because of its support for the analogue TTL flash protocol, which I found to be stunningly accurate under most conditions. To be sure, it is lacking in many of the bells and whistles of the K-5, and the higher-ISO performance is disappointing compared to that camera, but this is not important; it offers all the basics that a photographer needs, and gives more than adequate performance when given enough light.

So good was the TTL performance with an AF080C ring flash that I have even used this camera in the professional context of medical photography in preference to the K-5. 6MP are more than enough (and I was using the *istDL for the same job before it died). Performance with the AF280T is also stellar within the flash's performance range, but the flash lets the camera down here in view of the low guide number.

It would replace my K-5 completely if not for the lack of weather sealing, the lack of support for DC or SDM lenses that don't have screwdrive (which can't be counted against it, since it predates both), and the absence of an X-sync port (which can be mimicked by various hotshoe clip-ons if I really had to).

The real down-side now is that Pentax technical support and repair for this camera is at an end; many of the spares (especially circuit boards) are no longer available, and critical failure requires complete replacement. The would-be owner is taking a chance.

Despite the fact that I marked this camera down in many areas, because its specs simply aren't up to spec any more, it has done everything I bought it to do and more; my final rating is therefore a ten.

Registered: September, 2015
Review Date: September 24, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great colours, "old film camera" feeling, great pentaprism, AA batteries, small and rugged, K-mount vintage lens compatibility
Cons: none, apart 6.1Mpx (today is not enough...)
Years Owned: 11    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

My first digital camera, is still perfectly working!
In 2004 was the best digital entry level camera ( and the smallest one), and its better features are a great value also today:

- first of all, the Sony CCD chip (not CMOS !) has a colour rendition that is second to none (IMHO Pentax K7 included..) .
- viewfinder has the best pentaprism I've ever seen on a digital .
- AA batteries use capability is a plus in remote or no electricity country (e.g. Africa or Australia desert...), every little store has it.
- small, sturdy and lightweight, is perfect for a backpacker trip.
- no gadget or unuseful tinsels, just takes wonderful pictures (great to use with Pentax-M lens, old style stuff).

In conclusion, I've travelled the world with it, have shot my best photos with it, and still I love use it!

Absolutely recommended! (if you could find one today: it begins to be a sort of "modern classic" or "digital vintage" camera to collect...)

P.s: in 2009 I purchased (used) a second camera for my wife (she wanted the same colour rendition of my beloved Pentax *ist DS, but
this was impossible with her Canons, so we bought another *ist DS...).

Review Date: August 31, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, TTL, great colours, simple to use
Cons: AF has some issues
Years Owned: .5    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 3    Features: 5    Value: 8    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: Used

I was amazed, after some years of K200D/K-x/K-7 use, to learn that my good ol' Pentax AF400T's flashguns plus 5meter synchro chords and the whole flash paraphernalia could still be used in this digital era!
This was for me, who -coming from the slide film universe- was very upset by the new DSLR's flash controls that turned my pro flash equipment obsolete, good news.
Since my first DSLR had been a K200D which I recall has very beautiful colour rendering, nicer than the latter K-x and K-7, I gave this *ist a try.

The biggest surprise: the viewfinder image is just P-E-R-F-E-C-T ! You may use older smc K/m/Takumar lenses and focus pin-sharp. A true delight.

Another surprise: the old sensor gives you a very natural (I'm tempted to write here "analogic") colour ambience. And, for most purposes, i.e. if you don't have commissions on supersize posterss, those tiny megapixels are enough.

This is no surprise: AA-rechargeables give you (cheap) fodder enough for a fortnight on a single charge.

The interface options are almost the same as in my pre-historic digibino: I set them once and will cling to them forever. No room for playful gadgets like the K-7 ("digital filters", and the like) offers. In fact, for the modern user, the tiny monitor does seem like an alibi. But since I ALWAYS believe my own eyes and eyesight, the monitor quality isn't an issue.

TTL flash: works perfect, I have the same reassuring feeling using this feature as with my Pentax LX. And THAT was, in my very humble and modest opinion, the lonesome peak of camera construction before the digital era (I never got my hands on a MX-S, though...), all Canon-Minolta-Nikon-Olympus-Leica cams included!

It seems back here in Germany, people do appreciate it more than in the US, hence the "high" price....that translates to a bargain because of all the hugely positive aspects of the tiny *ist.

Location: Frankfurt am Main
Review Date: April 22, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $78.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, sturdyness, Pentaprism, AA batteries, can use TTL with my collection of older Metz flashes
Cons: Missing program shift, sensor cleaning
New or Used: Used

I bought the *istDS just recently.
So far I like it a lot, but can't resonably contribute with detailed experience.

Just one point to mention, because this is about a question I asked in the *ist sub forum, and could not get an answer:

The camera supports both TTL and p-TTL, so what will happen if I use a flash which also offers both, but can't be set manually to one of these 2 possibilities?

I now tried it with the (miniature sized) budget Metz 24 AF-1. I should have known the result, as the manual tells "TTL with Pentax analog cameras". And it indeed does exactly as written.

With the *stDS this flash will use p-TTL, provided a Pentax lens with KA or newer mount is used (with a Cosina KAF mount lens it doesn't work).
With any lens not suitable for p-TTL the flash will NOT switch to TTL, but just won't fire.
However, with the same lenses on my Super-A and MZ5n it works correctly in TTL mode.

It may be different with original Pentax flashes, but this I don't know.

Review Date: February 8, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent colors,sharpness and handling
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 10    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

It is a pleasure to work with it because the 6MP sensor is very sharp and its program very easy to handle.

This means; once the program fitted to your needs, no more change affordable.

This is the difference to k-x or k200

Registered: November, 2011
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact; good user interface; K-mount compatibility; excellent viewfinder
Cons: Limited ISO range; involved menus for many options
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 6    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: Used

My first DSLR, and I still use it regularly. Usually 6MP is sufficient for my needs, and this camera is so handy and easy to use that I just can't put it away. The capability to use all my old K-mount and even screw-mount lenses is a superb advantage. The camera feels good in the hand and most regularly used functions are easily accessible. Occasionally certain options require diving into the involved menu system, but I have found this to be relatively rare. White balance needs to be manually adjusted for most interior lighting situations as the auto white balance tends to generate overly yellow results.

All in all, this is a superb camera for its generation, and still very usable today for shooting in less than the most technical situations that would require more modern features.

Registered: April, 2010
Location: St. Louis

Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ergonomics
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 8    New or Used: Used

I dropped my Ist DL and broke it. I was looking at replacing itwith a Pentax KR at the time but when I found the Ist DS I couldn't pass it up. If you budget is tight you can pickup a good Ist DS for $125. Sure you can get more than twice the megapixels in newer models but I don't make large prints so really don't need it. This camera really has a lot of features for the money. The Pentaprism viewfinder is better than some more upscale models. I will upgrade to a newer model but this camera will stay around as a backup body.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Portugal
Review Date: August 2, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ligera, economica, baterias AA, simple, fácil...
Cons: rueda con el tiempo se ensucia y no funciona.
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

Llevo poco tiempo con esta cámara (1 año) y la uso mas que mi K5 para fotografías de estar en casa, el jardin, el perro, con los amigos... fotos que sabes que sólo publicarás en facebook o blogspot... me parece la cámara perfecta, sólo 6 mpx, puedo usar todos los objetivos de la K5 y me encantan los colores y lo sencilla que es de usar. Su peso ligero y su tamaño compacto me parece perfecta para llevar sin que moleste en la bolsa. Sobretodo con un objetivo fijo pequeño, un 28mm, 35mm o 50mm. Es la cámara perfecta para quien no desea gartar mucho dinero y empezar en fotografía reflex digital y como segundo cuerpo. Las imágenes que haces con esta cámara no sirven para realizar grandes recortes o impresiones (sólo 6 mpx), pero es perfecta para aprender composición y para imágenes en web. Las baterias AA son una ventaja siempre y el sonido (ruido) del obturador me agrada ¡Es muy facil de utilizar!

Revisión completa en mi web: http://www.miutopia.com/images/fotos_pentax_istds/index.html

¡Imágenes!

Registered: December, 2011
Review Date: December 13, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, very well built, great viewfinder, tough, AA batteries
Cons: Nothing significant.
Years Owned: 5    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 7    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 5    Features: 7    Value: 10    Image Quality: 7    Noise: 6    New or Used: New

I'm giving this a 10 because right now this is easily available for under 200 Euro second hand. Here it has just been replaced by a K5 - the first Pentax that really did all the DS did and more. The viewfinder of the DS is close to the K5 (not quite as bright) and lightyears ahead of the Canon/Nikons of it's age (looking at a postage stamp at the bottom of a well) - the single most critical part of a decent camera. Its light weight, compact size and AA batteries make it the perfect travel camera.

When I bought it it was to replace my 25 year-old MX - every other DSLR either felt like it was made from recycled plastic cups or was as big as my Mamiya 220.

For anyone wanting a first SLR this classic is perfect - with a budget of say 400 Euro you would have a kit of the 18-55mm, an M28 and M50 lens and maybe a 80-320 zoom for kicks , what more could a student photographer need?

My K5 just feels like a grown-up DS and that's huge praise to Pentax.

Banned

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Earth
Review Date: October 2, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: bright penta prism viewfinder
Cons: No add-on batt grip available, I like them for stability By today’s standards small screen.
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Best Pentax camera since the k1000. A simple rugged camera you can be very creative with and produces spectacular images just like the k1000. Best camera of its time and price point. A camera that is still very useful. Newer higher dollar cameras have more and are better, thek5 for axample I have one but you will pay the $$$ for them. Against today’s cameras the DS still produces excellent photos especially with a fast fifty mounted. It's durable, no repairs & no signs of wear after six yearsof steady use. Non rechargeable lithium AA batteries last about 2000shots when shooting a manual lens with no flash.

Compared to today’s cameras:

The good….
Excellent view finder, this is a big part of the camera for me.
I think it has a metal frame (magnesium).
The Bad…. (did noy notice these until I purchased a K5)
Slow at three frames per sec today’s cameras are 7 to 10.
Autofocus a bit slow, k5 is significantly quicker.
Only one e-dial
Limited iso range

Registered: October, 2010
Review Date: May 24, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small size, good grip, durable, has most things you need.
Cons: Max usable ISO, Slow between shots, noisy shutter.
Years Owned: 5    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 7    Value: 9    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 6    New or Used: Used

My first DSLR.

I must say that it has served me well. Still does.

What I have to say about this old camera is that it still delivers. I have also K-7, it is BETTER, but in many ways this still is with me. More or less as spare body.

Image quality with just 6 Mp is great, this camera has it's own color rendering engine. Now, when I have acquired some better lenses, this beast work's even better. In fact you can see some really good pictures (not by me) on PPG.

What puts me down with this camera is loud shutter(in theater or places, where you want to be silent) and slow buffer, compared to modern cameras, and also speed...but other than that, it still rocks. ISO is also quite usable at 1600, I prefer 400 or 800 max.

But thinking of how old this is it surely is worth of buying, if you need a solid performer, which can even take AA batteries, in case of sudden power loss.

Few pictures...

Location: Kennewick WA

Review Date: November 8, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: small size, beautiful color, for the price now days, killer camera

Pros small size, beautiful color, for the price now days, killer camera
Cons none
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) $800.00
Years Owned 5

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Small size, rugged little camera, great starter DSLR

Camera Review
This was my first digital SLR, and what a wonderful little camera it is.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK

Review Date: October 29, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, well made, TTL(not P-TTL) AA Batteries, pentaprism, top-plate LCD, grip
Cons: only 6mp(these days) no ability to have a grip, AA batteries,
Years Owned: 8    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Value: 10    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

Pros Small, well made, TTL(not P-TTL) AA Batteries, pentaprism, top-plate LCD, grip
Cons only 6mp(these days) no ability to have a grip, AA batteries,
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $1200
Years Owned 6 years

Small, yet very solid DSLR
Pentaprism
AA Batteries (a plus and minus)
pocketable (just)
Good IQ up to ISO800

Camera Review
This was my first DSLR, bought in December 2004 for a mighty £800!
It took me in a journey of digital photography when previously I thought it would never catch on, and that film still reigned supreme. How wrong I was!
I have since got a K10D and K20D, but the DS still comes into use from time to time due to its size and conveniance.

6MP is no longer cutting edge, yet you can still get great images at up to A3 size. Also, it is not fast (only 2.7fps) but hey, this is an early DSLR. Use it for street photography and you will be really impressed (even now) with its ability to produce great images.

It is a shame that Pentax have not upgraded this model with a "true" replacement. In otherwords, one that is as small, yet packs a pentaprism, SR, AF indicator, top body LCD etc (the K100D, K-m, K-x and K-r are pentamirrors, and the K-m and K-x don't even have AF indicators.....)

Still a good DSLR to have if you can find one.

Edit(Oct2012)
Thought I would review this post correcting the purchase date - 2004 not 2008, and how it performs against newer models. Well, since my last review, I have since got a K-5. So now I have this, the K10D, K20D and K-5. Whilst the K20D is now beginning to struggle with the IQ (Samsung sensor issues?) both the K10D and *istDS both perform well. Yet again though, the *istDS STILL works best with my older K-mount lenses, more accurate than the K-5. Why? Well it is that original Pentaprism that they put in the DS. for some reason, it is still the best for me on MF lenses. The other reason is that the 6MP sensor is more forgiving with older lenses, whereas the K-5 demands the best (Ironically that includes M42 screw mount Takumars)
Would I ever get rid of it? No not at all. It is only 6MP, so does not provide the fine detail of the K-5, nor the high ISO performance. The shutter is slow now compared to newer models, and gives a "slap" when it moves, with a more of a spring feel when it moves, rather than a precise click, But then again, it's rendition is beautiful, and the noise up to ISO800 is fine.
Even now, with the K-5, my *istDS still gets a runout, and for those who want a cheap second-hand DSLR to learn on, or even upgrade from a compact, seriously consider getting one of these - but like I said before - IF you can find one.

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Wangaratta, Victoria
Review Date: September 28, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: $850.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good allrounder, ergonomics, not too pretentious (not Canikon) unbeatable value
Cons: e-dial prone to fail

Pros Good allrounder, ergonomics, not too pretentious (not Canikon) unbeatable value
Cons e-dial prone to fail
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) $850-ish
Years Owned 5

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Best value on the market when I purchased in 2005. Access to the Pentax stable of lenses, TTL flash, best in lower ISO range, solid in the hand and reasonable weight.

Camera Review
The DS was the first DSLR to break the AU$1000 barrier in Australia; Canikon entry-level and midrange system owners should be ever grateful for the DS release. I had no intention of upgrading from MZ50 to digital until I saw this advertised for AU$999 - many hundreds of dollars lower than I had seen any DSLR advertised.

That said, I love this camera (although the relationship is becoming strained as I see the specs of the K-5). I love the feel in the hands and I love the layout of the controls. I like the TTL flash capability and I like using AA batteries. Cheaper AAs didn't last long but eneloops and Imedions just keep going - I can't tell how many shots, because I always recharge before they even look tired. Certainly hundreds of photos are possible with each charge of quality batteries.

It lacks high ISO performance which is rarely a bother for me and it does hunt for focus on occasions, which may be the lens as much as the camera. The LCD is small by current standards (drool: 3" x 921000pixs) and the e-dial malfunctions and needs a clean every 4000 or so clicks. The e-dial problem is the most frustrating thing as it plays up precisely when I need to adjust Av or Tv. It makes the weather sealing of the later bodies look really attractive, as I assume it is lack of WR that allows the e-dial contacts to get dirty.

The fact that I have had it for 5 years, and still love it, says it all.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Review Date: May 22, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax *ist DS: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros: Great high ISO, small files, easy to use, small and compact, AA batteries
Cons: Very slow, almost to the point of irritation sometimes, small LCD to today's standards

Pros Great high ISO, small files, easy to use, small and compact, AA batteries
Cons Very slow, almost to the point of irritation sometimes, small LCD to today's standards
Rating 7
Price $200
Years Owned 4 months

Value, Features, Performance & Size
This was a very good camera for how cheap it was, and one that I didn't have to worry about keeping pretty all of the time. I loved the quality of the photos.

Camera Review
I have owned 2 of these cameras, the first one for only a few weeks, but the second one (courtesy of Damn Brit) over an entire summer in which I went all over California with it and took some of my so far favorite photos that I have ever taken with any camera. The camera is just great if you can deal with how slow it can be sometimes.
Add Review of Pentax *ist DS

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!