Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Image Quality
Noise
86 103,870 Sun June 4, 2017

Pentax K-30

The Pentax K-30 introduced in 2012is a 16-megapixel mid-level DSLR from Pentax. It features weather sealing, a large 3-inch back LCD, and extra external buttons compared to the K-r to make it faster to use in the field for the demanding photographer.

Read the PentaxForums.com In-Depth Pentax K-30 Review

The K30 will be available in black, blue, and white.

Some of the key features are:

• Cold proof to -10 degrees C/14 degrees F
  • Weather sealed
  • A focusing screen optimized for manual focusing is available
  • Two User Modes for saving/recalling user settings
  • RAW/Fx customizable button
  • Wireless control of external flash
  • Automatic horizon correction
  • Composition adjustment
  • Astrotracer mode (with optional O-GPS1 GPS unit)
  • Electronic level and horizon correction
  • Wired and wireless remote control
  • 11 custom Images
  • 19 digital filters
  • Embed copyright information in EXIF
  • Image plane indicator
  • In-camera RAW development
  • Save last JPG as RAW
  • Optional hand strap O-ST128
  • Optional AC adapter K-AC128

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

• Version 1.06: Added compatibility with HD Pentax-DA Rear Converter 1.4X AW
  • Version 1.05: AF assist light function made compatible with the new flashes, AF360FGZ II and AF540FGZ II

Camera Manual:

Bit Depth
Minimum ISO
Maximum ISO
ISO Range
100 - 12,800 (100 - 25,600)
Imaging
Exposure Modes
Auto (green), Scene, HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, M, B
Program Modes
Normal
Maximum FPS
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 6 fps up to 30 frames (JPG), 8 frames (RAW) Lo: 3 fps until card is full (JPG), 10 frames (RAW)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
30s - 1/6000s (stepless)
Shutter Speeds (Manual)
B, 30s - 1/6000s. Up to 300s in Astrotracer mode
Shutter Life
Exposure compensation
+/-5 EV (+/-2 EV in movie mode)
Auto bracketing
3 frames, one-push bracketing
Expanded dynamic range
Highlight (auto, on, off), Shadow (auto, high, medium, low, off)
Exposure lock
Multiple exposures
Yes, average and additive, 2 to 9 shots
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
19: Night Scene, Surf and Snow, Food, Sunset, Stage Lighting, Night Snap, Night Scene HDR, Night Scene Portrait, Backlit Portrait, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Portrait, Landscape, Moving Object, and more
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Not supported
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Distortion,Lateral Chromatic Aberration
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX IXi+, 11 focus points (9 cross type), diffraction lens)
AF Points
Autofocus sensitivity
-1 EV
Front/back focus correction
Yes (adjustments for up to 20 lenses)
Autofocus with SDM
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Dust alert
Memory card type
SD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC
Size (W x H x D)
130 x 97 x 71 mm (5.1 x 3.8 x 2.8 in.)
650 g (23 oz)
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control* * Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
No HDMI out
Exposure Modes
P, Av and M exposure control
Movie mode restrictions
In Av and M mode: Aperture must be set prior to shooting (unless using a lens with manual aperture setting)
AF During Recording
Connectivity
USB 2.0, AV out, cable release
Latest Firmware
Version 1.06
Astrotracer compatible, Electronic level, Embed copyright information in EXIF, High ISO NR can be customized for each major ISO value, In-camera RAW development, Image plane indicator, Save last JPG as RAW, The RAW button is customizable and can perform a variety of functions, hereunder exposure bracketing
Special Editions

LCD: 3-inch
In Production: Buy the Pentax K-30
Type: Mid-Range DSLR
Weather Sealed: Yes
In-Depth Review: Read our Pentax K-30 in-depth review!
Manual: http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/1340052607_Manual_K-30_EN.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K-30 Buy the Pentax K-30
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 86

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Manchester

Review Date: June 4, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: A trusty workhouse that just 'feels right'
Cons: Very few
Years Owned: 4.5    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I was a keen amateur photographer when I was a teen MANY years ago. I was brought up on cheap Russian (Leica39 & M42 mount) rangefinder/SLR cameras in the 1970's & cheap Japanese (K mount) cameras in in the 80's. So after bringing up my kids I finally had enough cash for a world tour to visit family in New Zealand.
So in 2011 a Pentax Kr arrived - & my old K mount glass was dragged from the back of the cupboard. The Kr served well & my passion and enjoyment for photography returned. Although the Kr is a competent camera it was relegated to spare in 2012 when I could afford a K30.
The K30 is in a different league & has been my 'go to' camera for the last 4 and a half years. I can pick it up & instantly feel comfortable & in control shooting away. It has been a faithful workhorse which has been lugged to harsh hot/ cold/ wet/ dusty locations both in the UK & further afield. It has producing stunning pictures that flatter my modest abilities. The only time it stays at home is when I need something smaller and more discrete (That's when the Q10 comes out to play - but that's another story).
Today I have ordered a refurbished K1 so the K30 is relegated to most awesome spare. My Kr & a some lenses are being donated to an enthusiastic youngster in the hope it ignites the lifelong passion for photography Pentax products has given me. I don't tut at smartphone pictures. A great picture is a great picture - end of, but what the K30 & all modern Pentax digital kit do is give the user a better chance of getting that killer photo in a wider range of conditions than a phone can. The K30 is a great bit of kit - and I hope the K1 lives up to the very high standard the K30 has set.
The K30 - A great value rugged, reliable, quality camera that is a dream to use 5 years after it appeared.

Review Date: February 11, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, good ergonomics, weather resistant
Cons: wimpy battery pack, no top deck LCD screen
New or Used: New

I actually paid $245 for this camera with a DAL 18-55mm lens but I'm selling that lens off with another camera, so subtracting the average eBay selling price for the lens, my net cost for the camera alone would likely be closer to the $200 shown above. This camera is a little more 'used' than I would ideally like, with a shutter count just shy of 26,000, but It does not appear to have been abused in any way so I'm pleased.

I generally like this camera. It's comfortable in my hands and the controls are laid out logically. The feature set seems to blend the best of higher end cameras with the convenience of entry level DSLRs and point-n-shoot bridge cameras. I like the fact that it is weather sealed, even though it doesn't have that 'built like a tank' feel of my K10D and Samsung GX-20. That said, it doesn't weigh as much as either of those cameras, which is a good thing. The menus, although a little different from my other cameras, are pretty intuitive and the picture quality is pretty good, although shots taken in bright sunlight tend to look a little washed out as though it isn't stopping the lens down far enough. I suppose in time I'll figure out how to compensate for that in the future.

My two biggest gripes about the K30 are that it lacks a top deck LCD screen, which would save battery power over having to use the battery-sucking 3-inch rear screen for status information and the supplied D-Li109 battery pack is simply insufficient for the camera. The battery compartment itself is a bit of an oddity in that it is designed to accept two entirely different types of batteries. In addition to the D-Li109 battery, it can take four AA cells using a proprietary AA adapter which inexplicably was not supplied with the camera. Okay, I guess I shouldn't complain too much about the adapter, since I bought the camera used and it would be a total crap-shoot as to whether the camera and the battery adapter would still be together at this point. As it is, I found a generic one online for less than $3. The flexibility of being able to use two different types of batteries in this camera comes in very handy. A fully charged set of Eneloops last much better than the D-Li109 battery but do add extra weight to the package. But that isn't a totally bad thing as the extra heft in the grip can help counterbalance a heavier lens. Still, I would have been just as happy if they had stuck with the tried and true D-Li50 battery pack used in the K10D and K20D that would have offered better battery life than the D-Li109.

Those irritations aside, the K30 is a great little camera, albeit not perfect. I can see why it was so popular when it was first introduced and still has a good following today.

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Idaho, USA

Review Date: February 3, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: No | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Compact, great handling
Cons: Aperture failure
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 3    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I would agree with the other reviewers about the quality of this camera and the value - when it's working. But I am adding this review because I feel that any potential buyer of a used K30 should be aware of the significant failure rate of the "aperture block" resulting in "black frames." The failure rate is not insignificant. It happened also to my KS2 after it sat for awhile. (That to me is the trigger - disuse of the camera seems to place it at risk of black frames when it is picked up again after a hiatus). My K30 is in with precision camera, no idea how long it will take to fix but it has been three weeks already. Read their reviews and research your other options for repair because if you get a good deal on a used K30 you need to factor in the higher than normal failure rate compared to what one would expect.

Registered: September, 2016
Review Date: September 4, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Value for money
Cons: Battery life
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 7    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

Let my share my experience with the K-30 as compared to the K-5, as I own both cameras. Owned a K-30 from the start. Then I also got a pretty beat up but perfectly working K-5 body very cheap, since I was interested in trying out a camera with more external controls

After extensive use, I've made a list of pros for either camera, ranking each feature with one to five stars in accordance how important it is in MY shooting (which may differ from yours...)

In my use as an amateur, IQ (*****), viewfinder (*****) and autofocus (*****) differences are academic at best between these two cameras (I know the K5 is 14 bit compared to 12 bit for the K-30 but for me that isn't an issue).

K-30 Pros:
***** Much more responsive software, better info pane layouts.
**** Markedly brighter, sharper and clearer LCD
*** Faster write speed to SD card.
** Better layout of play/trash/liveview buttons minimizing risk of hitting the wrong ones during operation.
** No lock button on the shooting mode wheel makes it easy to operate one-handed with the right thumb

K-5 Pros:
**** About twice the battery life
*** Battery grip can be added
*** Better placed green button making for faster action when stop down metering manual lenses
** Metal body as compared to plastic (My K-30 actually creaks a little when the grip is pressed firmly!)
** Better placed loops for the camera strap makes the whole camera very well balanced, especially with longer/heavier lenses
** Dedicated well placed ae-lock button
** Pretty quiet shutter
* Electronic level in the viewfinder
* easier to access stop down switch to check dof (this can be set to the raw button on the K-30)
* Top panel LCD
* Dedicated physical controls for af-mode and metering mode
* control wheels have a bit larger diameter making their haptics more enjoyable.

Actually I was a bit surprised after getting the K-5, I thought I'd be shooting it exclusively leaving the K-30 at home. As it turned out I actually prefer the K-30 in daily use. Much boils down to software: Before getting the K-5 I hadn't reflected on how much you interact with the cameras playback and menu system: and how annoying it is when these aren't as responsive as you're used to. The duller screen was a turn off as well. Before getting the K-5 I also thought I'd be using the external controls more but as it turned out it didn't save much time compared to changing settings in the info pane.

Conclusion: In amateur use It's hard to find a better bang for the buck these past years than the K-x0 series. K-7/5/3 are nice bodies but you pay a very high premium for a metal body, a few extra knobs and switches and the ability to use a battery grip. I tried a cheap chinese grip which worked fine, but also made me realise I don't need one in my shooting. The K-5 will soon be up for sale, sticking with the K-30. Cheapskate as I am I will be very interested in picking up a lightly used K-70 a couple of years down the line when I feel it's time to upgrade.

Location: Hobart TAS
Review Date: February 14, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ergonomics, Build Quality, IQ
Cons: Battery Life
Years Owned: 4    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I bought this camera new when it first launched in 2012, the K5 had just been decommissioned and the K-30 was the best of the new bunch
I upgraded from a K10d (Still an excellent camera)
The extra 6 megapixels were immediately noticeable. Everything worked perfectly and still does.
I shoot in RAW almost exclusively, so the write speed to cards can be a challenge
and RAW pictures always have to be Post Production worked on as they come out soft and lowish in contrast. But because of this there's tremendous room to recover extremes of contrast
I have used it in all weather types from Snow to Desert dust - one lens let me down (an SDM one) but the camera keeps on going.
It's nearing the end of it's life now after many shutter releases, so I'll probably upgrade to the FF when it's released later this month.
It has been a reliable workhorse for years, I'd recommend one to anybody.
EASY to use
EASY to build a system on
A battery handgrip would have been wonderful.
The Astrotracer function is something I have always wanted to try but just never got around to

Registered: May, 2008
Location: London, UK
Review Date: August 5, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pretty much everything for what it is
Cons: Missing a few things from higher in the range
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 7    Features: 7    Value: 8    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

Bought as a lighter and water-resistant travel body in place of my K-5, and to replace a K-r, for a fairly long touring trip to the Far East - and since often used for holidays and day-trips where I don't want the weight of the K-5 /or K-3 (which I use for airshows and the like and there is thus not too much walking/carrying to do as a bad back & bad knee can make walking quite uncomfortable sometimes, so weight V distance can be important.).

Been absolutely delighted with it, for what it is, and very impressed with the "out of the box" jpegs it produces in a variety of non-ideal conditions.

Not a critical or detailed review by any means - just a way of saying that this is probably my most used body overall when I'm out and about!

Registered: July, 2014

Review Date: July 30, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, Fast accurate AF, WR,
Cons: None yet
Years Owned: <1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

I had wanted a k-30 ever since the were announced and even tried to make my brother get one but he got a k-5iis now so he is better off I think. I finally found a cheap one that I couldn't pass up! Has met all expectations so far. Great little camera.

Registered: January, 2015
Location: Maryland

Review Date: May 27, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $240.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: WR, High ISO, Affordable, Beastly Build Quality, Easy Operation
Cons: Video? also a little small for my hands, but that's not the camera's fault!
Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

I'm thinking about moving up to the K-3 now... But honestly, my K-30 was my first ever DSLR. I had used my friends' rebel t3 and d5300... They just felt cheap to me.

I bought the K-30 from a member here on a whim and am extremely happy with my decision!
This is the camera that got me hooked in photography. This was my first Pentax, and like my first Subaru, has made an impression that will last a lifetime.
I am sold on this brand!

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Paris
Review Date: May 26, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low light performance, Solidity, Everything
Cons: Video, Battery life
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

Excellent camera overall, bought it after a K200, so I let you imagine the improvement I felt. My usage is totally amateur, to shoot landscapes, buildings, portraits mainly. I am not at all interested in shooting sports, or birds so super fast autofocus is totally optional.

I bought it mainly to improve the ISO performance as I felt was the big problem of the K200 especially for inside shooting. The high ISO performance is, believe it or not, even better than that of the K3 !!

I do not know other brands but I read a lot about the K30 and comparisons to other DSLR's, and I didn't regret at all my choice. The image quality is excellent. Conbined with my Sigma 17-70, it delivers amazing quality photos (you can see examples in my flickr).

Using is very easy, feels impressively solid. Honestly, given my usage, I couldn't find any cons aside of the battery life (400-500 shots), but you can simply buy a backup battery for 10 bucks.

I do not hesitate to recommend this DSLR to anyone that wants good ISO performance, image quality without beeing very AF demanding.

Location: Wild-Nord-East Hungary

Review Date: November 6, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Me is handy; two command dials; light, clear viewfinder; good auto focus; excellent image quality.
Cons: Battery life
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

This is my 6th Pentax (Film SLR: S1; MX-ME; P30n; Digital: K-x; K-30)
16 Mpx. sensor worth buy good glass.
Pleasantly lies in hands. Viewfinder very nice.
Battery low, but 4 Eneloop batteries are good.
IMHO it's the camera that's the best for it's price.
AF superb for all me screwdriver lenses. (The except for DA 50/1,8 - low light)
Since the old manual lenses are only use the center focus point; mostly I use also autofocus lens.
The image quality is very good in Raw. But, in the machine .jpg compression not so much.
Fine prints A2 size (cca. 40 60 cm.) can be made.
I did not use video.

Location: Pasadena, CA

Review Date: November 5, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, basic usability, auto focus in good light, nice AF-C
Cons: loud shutter, dust reduction not that effective, autofocus in low light and with fast lenses, no portrait grip
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

K-30 is excellent. It excels at all the most important things - image quality, reliability and basic usability. It seems to be a camera that's the best 'bang for the buck' but misses on features that would be nice to have for more advanced users. You can still use it for professional work but it simply won't be as pleasant.

The lesser things, that I would love to have, are due to cost cutting - mirror is not very well damped, dust reduction is not as effective as the ultrasonic system I found in olympus dSLRs and you cannot add a portrait grip. Autofocus is fine, works great for general use, but it can be inaccurate with F1.8 lenses, especially in low light.

Those things will not matter for you unless you are a very dedicated amateur or a professional though. If you are and have a spare couple hundred bucks I would get a K-5II. However, if you are on a budget, you will still do just fine with K-30.

Price was $499 with an 18-55 WR.

Review Date: February 22, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: ergonomics,WR,hight ISO
Years Owned: 2013    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

The best for Pentax beginers...

Registered: December, 2013
Location: Leicester
Review Date: February 5, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Weather sealing, ease of use, light but solid
Cons: Not found any yet
Years Owned: 0.3    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Only had it a couple of months and properly used it at one indoor event (horrible lighting!) and it performed far better than my K-m and K-r under the same conditions.
Accumulating some various lenses, just waiting for some decent weather and time to go and play, mainly watching fast cars.

Location: Sydney, NSW
Review Date: February 2, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything!!
Cons: movie mode
Years Owned: 0.25    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

Really great camera, I have used it many times over the three months I've had it (my first DSLR). The movie mode is not great, but I wasn't expecting it to be - I bought the camera for the stills. I had read many reviews and done a lot of research before buying the camera and it has definitely met my expectations. The cons mentioned around the web don't really bother me, and if they don't bother you, then most certainly buy the camera!!

Registered: October, 2013

Review Date: January 4, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-30: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great picture quality, easy to learn, fast
Cons: Occassional focus problem. Not sure whether it is camera or lens
Years Owned: 8 months    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

This is my third Pentax SLR and second DSLR. I really like the camera and find the image quality much better than the K10D it replaced. My only gripe is the occasional out of focus shot when trying to photograph wildlife. It may be the the lens (Pentax 18-250, early version). I just took a very blurry image of an eagle perched in our Palo Verde tree. I was no more than 50 feet away but the focus was probably tricked by a branch in front of the bird.

I am lusting after the latest DSLR, the K3. Lots more $$$ and may be more camera than I can use.

However, the lust continues.
Add Review of Pentax K-30 Buy the Pentax K-30

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!