Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Noise
130 526,142 Tue October 3, 2017
99% of reviewers $1,014.26 9.23

Pentax K-5

The Pentax K-5 DSLR was developed using the Pentax K-7 as its base; the K-5 inherits the user-friendly operation, array of advanced features and compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, yet it is more resourceful with its high-speed, low-noise CMOS image sensor and high-performance PRIME II imaging engine.

The continuous shooting mode has a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second. It also offers a sensitivity range between ISO 80 and ISO 51200 (when expanded via a custom function) and Full HD-proportion movie recording at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Other improvements over the K-7 are a faster autofocusing speed and an upgraded HDR (High Dynamic Range) function now usable in hand-held shooting.

The K-5 features a new-generation, wide-frame SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). The AF system has completely redesigned optics, and factors the light source at the time of shooting into its calculations so as to improve the accuracy of autofocus operation. It also offers a choice of shutter-release options - between focus priority and release priority in the AF.S (single) advance mode, or between focus priority and speed priority in the AF.C (continuous) advance mode.

The K-5 sensor is estimated to be 2-3 stops more sensitive than that of its predecessor, the K-7, meaning that a K-5 photo taken at ISO 6400 will look about as grainy than one taken at ISO 800 with the K-7.

The launch price was US $1749.95.

Read our Full-Length Pentax K-5 Review

Discuss the Pentax K-5 here

Compare the K-5 with other DSLRs here

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

• Version 1.10: Added support for O-GPS1 Astrotracer

ISO Range
100 - 12800 (80 - 51200)
Imaging
Exposure Modes
Green, HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, HyM, X, B, User(5)
Program Modes
Auto, Normal, Action, Depth of field (deep/shallow), MTF
Maximum FPS
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG) with firmware upgrade, Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to appox. 40 frames (PEF/DNG)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
30s - 1/8000s (stepless)
Shutter Speeds (Manual)
B, 30s - 1/8000s. Up to 300s in Astrotracer mode
Shutter Life
Exposure compensation
+/-5 EV (+/- 2 EV in movie mode)
Auto bracketing
2, 3 or 5 frames, one-push bracketing
Expanded dynamic range
Highlight (on, off), Shadow (high, medium, low, off)
Exposure lock
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
None
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Supported (zoom only)
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Distortion,Lateral Chromatic Aberration
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX IX+, 11 focus points (9 cross type), light wavelength sensor)
AF Points
Autofocus sensitivity
-1 EV
Front/back focus correction
Yes (adjustment for up to 20 lenses)
Autofocus with SDM
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Top LCD
Focus Peaking
Back LCD
3 in., 921,000 dots (VGA)
Body
Weather resistant
Control wheels
Battery grip
D-BG4 (takes D-LI90 or 6x AA)
Card slots
Dust removal
Yes, Ultrasonic DR II
Dust alert
Memory card type
SD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware update
Size (W x H x D)
130.5 x 96.5 x 72.5 mm
660 g (740 g with battery and SD card)
File format
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control*
* Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Motion JPEG (AVI)
Exposure Modes
P (auto-aperture), Av
Movie mode restrictions
Av:The aperture can be set manually before recording and is fixed during recording
AF During Recording
Sound in Movie mode
Stereo (external mic), Mono (built-in mic)
Interfacing
Connectivity
USB 2.0, AV out, HDMI out, 3.5mm stereo mic, DC in, X-sync, cable release
Latest Firmware
Version 1.16
Astrotracer compatible (requires firmware update), Electronic level, Embed copyright information in EXIF. High ISO NR can be customized for each major ISO value. Image plane indicator. In-camera RAW development. Save last JPG as RAW. The RAW button is customizable and can perform a variety of functions, hereunder exposure bracketing. The 11 autofocus points cover a wider area of the image than on previous models.
Special Editions

Limited Silver (2012, with silver DA 40mm XS), Limited Silver (2011, special grip, limited SMC DA silver lenses available)

Megapixels: 16.3
ISO Range: 80-51200
Weight: 660g
FPS: 7
LCD: 3.0"
In Production: No
Type: Prosumer/Advanced Amateur
Weather Sealed: Yes
In-Depth Review: Read our Pentax K-5 in-depth review!
Manual: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K-5 Buy the Pentax K-5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 130

Registered: August, 2017

Review Date: October 3, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $420.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Quick and accurate AF,Very good auto exposure,intuitive and flexible controls,good (and tested) weather sealing, batterygrip,excellent battery life
Cons: Zoom lens a bit noisy during focusing
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

After owning and using a Pentax IST DS, Pentax K10D, Pentax K20D it was a really Progression for me.

A really good product. The high ISO performance is impressive (until to 3200). The stabilization is good, the product is really robust, not too heavy and not to big, with mounted battery grip good balance and energy reserve. This product is a little bit "old" (2010) but always good for a casual or enthusiast photographer

Registered: January, 2017

Review Date: October 1, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 6

Pros:
Cons:
Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 9    Features: 9    Value: 8    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

After using it a month or so I very much love how it feels - it fits in hand nicely and all the controls are nicely made. There are almost no need at all to use menu, but everything can be adjusted via buttons. K5 looks cool too. And the best thing is that the old glasses can be used, which I do! More praises you can read below - I agree with the other reviewers about them.

Alas, there are some lows too. The worst is blinking in low light. When the shutter speed goes to 1/30s or below, the flash indicator starts blinking. And in dim light flash indicator, shutter speed, ISO setting and F-setting start blinking like crazy no matter which mode you are using (except Bulb) and they blink in every three displays. That is highly annoying. In fact so annoying that I use this camera only in daylight / outdoors. Otherwise I take my Canon. I even cannot imagine the amount of wrath if I'd start shooting pinhole or night time photos with this camera. Just try to shoot it in low light and it's just like you've got a disco machine or something. The feature seems to be in other Pentax bodies too, so this will most probably be my first and last Pentax dslr.

Minor problem to blinking is poor focusing screen, it's grainy and difficult to focus in manual. I haven't seeked yet, but I'm sure there are more precise sreens available for manual shooting. Also the back display is blurry and more so because the skin grease sticks on it from my face. At last, I really wouldn't mind seeing the exposure meter in viewfinder. I find it pretty difficult to adjust without any idea of exposure.

All in all, K-5 is a very sophisticated camera with a nice looks. It has a good usability, but with too much features and digital wonders and helps and suff it seems to be aimed to some gear loving novice photographer instead of advanced or pro photographer.

Registered: September, 2016

Review Date: September 6, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, external controls.
Cons: Software (menu system, playback). Not the best LCD.
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 6    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

Cross posting this review I originally wrote on the K-30, with some edits, since it's a direct comparison between the cameras:

Let my share my experience with the K-5 as compared to the K-30, as I own both cameras. Owned a K-30 from the start. Then I also got a pretty beat up but perfectly working K-5 body very cheap, since I was interested in trying out a camera with more external controls

After extensive use, I've made a list of pros for either camera, ranking each feature with one to five stars in accordance how important it is in my shooting (which may of course differ from yours...)

In my use as an amateur, IQ (*****), viewfinder (*****) and autofocus (*****) differences are academic at best between these two cameras (I know the K5 is 14 bit compared to 12 bit for the K-30 but for me that isn't an issue).

K-30 Pros:
***** Much more responsive software, better info pane layouts.
**** Markedly brighter, sharper and clearer LCD
*** Faster write speed to SD card.
** Better layout of play/trash/liveview buttons minimizing risk of hitting the wrong ones during operation.
** No lock button on the shooting mode wheel makes it easy to operate one-handed with the right thumb

K-5 Pros:
**** About twice the battery life
*** Battery grip can be added
*** Better placed green button making for faster action when stop down metering manual lenses
** Metal body as compared to plastic (My K-30 actually creaks a little when the grip is pressed firmly!)
** Better placed loops for the camera strap makes the whole camera very well balanced, especially with longer/heavier lenses
** Dedicated well placed ae-lock button
** Pretty quiet shutter
* Electronic level in the viewfinder
* easier to access stop down switch to check dof (this can be set to the raw button on the K-30)
* Top panel LCD
* Dedicated physical controls for af-mode and metering mode
* control wheels have a bit larger diameter making their haptics more enjoyable.

Actually I was a bit surprised after getting the K-5, I thought I'd be shooting it exclusively leaving the K-30 at home. As it turned out I actually prefer the K-30 in daily use. Much boils down to software: Before getting the K-5 I hadn't reflected on how much you interact with the cameras playback and menu system: and how annoying it is when these aren't as responsive as you're used to. The duller screen was a turn off as well. Before getting the K-5 I also thought I'd be using the external controls more but as it turned out it didn't save much time compared to changing settings in the info pane.

Conclusion: In amateur use It's hard to find a better bang for the buck these past years than the K-x0 series. K-7/5/3 are nice bodies but you pay a very high premium for a metal body, a few extra knobs and switches and the ability to use a battery grip. I tried a cheap chinese grip which worked fine, but also made me realise I don't need one in my shooting. The K-5 will soon be up for sale, sticking with the K-30. Cheapskate as I am I will be very interested in picking up a lightly used K-70 a couple of years down the line when I feel it's time to upgrade.

Review Date: August 4, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very reliable, very nice pictures, good lenses
Cons: 30 fps video, lack of digital filters as k-x, higher ISO=some noise
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: Used

I've got a used one.

hm? only 9 points because of 30 fps video and lack of digital filters.

this camara must be fitted in program, in order to get really very sharp big photos for posters. the standard calibration is for this high price to weak.

but when parameters in program are changed optimally you'll have much fun with this DSLR
visible noise from 3200 iso

Review Date: July 21, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, weather sealing, light weight
Cons: af could be better
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: Used

still a good camera in 2016, dxomark 82 says everything. beats Canon 5d mark ii in some aspects. Way better than nikon d7000. Only improvement needed is af speed.

Location: Barcelona
Review Date: January 4, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low Isos, High Iso, Low noise, Fast AF, Image Quality, A step forward
Cons: AV mode not taking great photos
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 6    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

I bought my K5 in Japan, in a second hand store with a low milleage in photos taken and in perfect conditions for 250€.
At the time it was a bargain as you could find it in Europe for 450€ body only.

This is definitelly a step forward from a Kr, and i am delighted with that machine. It is a semi-professional camera (or some say so) with manual controls everywhere, no more automatic modes that you don't need anymore, and plenty of buttons easy to undersand and well located.

I love the camera because it's light, compact, easy to carry around and because of it's performance. I usually shoot at racing cars, and it's TV mode and its buffer are great for action sports, and at 7fps I think it's pretty great, now I am not missing a photo.

The AF is quite better than Kr's for me, and it's a step forward in quality, in sharpness of the image, sounds better when shooting, it's not a noisy machine as the Kr can be, it is great in high ISO.

The sealed body is awesome, I have been shooting at snow places, during rainy days and at very dusty events and you can be sure non of those would get inside your camera, wich to me is a great step forward.

Combine this camera with the smc Pentax F 50mm f1.7, or the Sigma 100-300mm F4 and you'll get SHARP SHARP SHARP images, as you always dreamed about. I believe it's sensor, and the camera itself improve those lense's qualities to an outstanding level.

The only awakeness point is the AV mode, or I don't get it right, or the camera uses to over expose my shots constantly.

It is true that it's AF can make you miss some shots, but wich Pentax camera doesn't?

Overall it is a great camera, and nowadays that prices are lowering down, just get one at a great price, you'll get a bargain on an great piece of camera,

UPDATE June 2016
After having had the camera for almost 2 years I have to say I was delighted with it, maybe not with the AV mode, it's not as good as I expected it to be, but a part from that it's all great.

Just mine decided to fall down a chair and the repair work costs almost as much as I payed for the camera, so I am a bit disapointed on the body, as it really was a small and slow crash. So I think maybe my unit has had another crash before (in Japan) or maybe the body is a bit weak.

Location: Houston

Review Date: March 21, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, ease of use, User modes
Cons: Button layout could have been better, more
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

The best image quality on ASPC in my eyes. The weight and the way this camera feels in your hand is just perfect. The user modes is simply genius as it allows me to program my settings for landscape, portrait, action, tripod for quick access.

I believe the button layout could have been better. I don't like where the AF button is and the RAW button could have had a few more options.

I would give 9.5 but alas not allowed here.

Registered: May, 2013
Review Date: February 10, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $695.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality, low noise
Cons: buttons layout
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I am a stock photographer and need images to be very sharp at 100% and very technically sound, ie, low noise, good saturation and color rendition. I liked the K-7 but still the images were soft and could use improvement. The K-5iis was what I needed. I regret not having purchased it sooner, but I have a somewhat limited budget and I had to wait until the price on it dropped. It is a BIG improvement over the K-7 in many aspects, image quality being the most obvious. The only drawback going to this camera is the placement of the some of the buttons makes it easy to accidentally change other settings.

Registered: December, 2014
Review Date: January 4, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $390.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: chip sensitivity, image quality, built quality, small size, features, viewfinder
Cons: position of green button, position of LV button, no button control for stabilization on/off
Years Owned: 0,3    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

Excellent camera, i was waiting for any DSLR to work like K-5 for many years. SO finally I have got one, Yay! Feel so elated to have K-5, while i was also thinking about getting a K-7 (was 130 dollars cheaper). But anyone thinking between those two cameras, there is only one choice - K-5 - because of so little noise, there is almost none! If you shoot into RAW you can clear out all of it. From my old K-200 this is a huge leap forward.

Location: Newark, Delaware
Review Date: December 27, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, features, build quality long battery life
Cons: screen on monitor easily scratched, live view autofocus.
Years Owned: 2.5    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

Had I rated this camera a year ago, I likely would have given it a 10. Now I also have a K3 and the K3 has improved on the K5 in areas where the K5 could use improvement. In particular, Live View autofocus and a much better glass (instead of plastic) monitor screen. Otherwise the K5 is still a great camera, compact, well built, and reliable.

Registered: September, 2010
Review Date: December 10, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

So happy I got this camera! I couldnt afford the newest model but got a used one in great condition and its the best purchase i could have made. Love it!

Registered: July, 2010
Location: New York
Review Date: December 7, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality. Solid build. Intuitive control layout. Strong overall feature set.
Cons: Autofocus needs work.
Years Owned: 2-1/2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I've had my Pentax K-5 for more than 2-1/2 years. Having put more than 25,000 shots on it, I can say that my experience with the K-5 has been very positive overall.
  • As is expected for a high-end Pentax DSLR, build is outstanding. I've taken pictures in heavy rain and snow and have never had a problem with my K-5.
  • The essential photographic controls are all within easy reach. I've never had trouble operating the camera or accessing any of the major settings.
  • Image quality is excellent. While the 16 megapixel sensor is starting to show its age, its ability to produce quality images in a variety of conditions is very good and the colors have always been pleasing.
  • The one thing that needs work is the autofocus system. AF.S speed is reasonable in the vast majority of lighting conditions, but AF.C performance is marginal at best. The K-3 is better in this regard, but it's still hamstrung by suboptimal AF algorithms that can't track fast-moving subjects reliably.
AF.C issues aside, this is a great overall camera.

—DragonLord

Registered: January, 2008
Location: ON
Review Date: December 2, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, features, in body shake reduction for video
Cons: LCD scratches easily, green button placement
Years Owned: 4    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

I have really come to love this camera (I updated from a K100D and it took a while to learn all the new features).

I had a Katz-Eye screen installed to improve manual focusing and I find the camera works nicely with old glass; however, I find the location of the green button annoying for stop-down metering. It would be great if you could assign that function to the shutter button area.

Also, a button on my jacket scratched the LCD screen on the back soon after I bought it. I was a little surprised as my much cheaper mp3 players and cell phones all have Gorilla glass and have taken far more abuse than the K5 ever has and their screens are still in good condition. I would definitely recommend a screen protector if you are picky about scratches.

Registered: November, 2011
Review Date: November 30, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $990.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Dynamic range, high ISO performance, solid body, battery life, clear viewfinder
Cons: Fiddly and fragile controls, weight, large AF areas
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 5    Features: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

I've been using my K5 for a couple of years now, after buying
it early in 2012. Coming from the K-x, I found it to be less
intuitive to operate. For example, working the three-position
AF/MF switch is hard while you're looking through the
viewfinder. I've since acquired its lighter stablemates, the
K-01 and K-50, which see more everyday use, but the K5 is the
go-to workhorse for situations where I'll be needing its
superior dynamic range and high ISO performance. It balances
well with my heavy Zeiss ZK lenses, and since they're manual
focus, the less than optimal AF of the K5 doesn't become a
concern. The viewfinder of the K5 is as good as it gets in
APS-C, and almost makes up for the lack of focus peaking.

Registered: July, 2012
Location: Braga, Portugal

Review Date: August 3, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The best Pentax camera ever
Years Owned: 4    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

The best Pentax camera ever. The newest K3 is nothing compared with this K5 of 2009. Maybe and maybe because i don't believe they will create one, but maybe one day Pentax FF can beat the K5. Even lots of FF from other brands are nothing compared with Pentax K5
Add Review of Pentax K-5 Buy the Pentax K-5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!