Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Noise
130 526,025 Tue October 3, 2017
99% of reviewers $1,014.26 9.23

Pentax K-5

The Pentax K-5 DSLR was developed using the Pentax K-7 as its base; the K-5 inherits the user-friendly operation, array of advanced features and compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, yet it is more resourceful with its high-speed, low-noise CMOS image sensor and high-performance PRIME II imaging engine.

The continuous shooting mode has a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second. It also offers a sensitivity range between ISO 80 and ISO 51200 (when expanded via a custom function) and Full HD-proportion movie recording at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Other improvements over the K-7 are a faster autofocusing speed and an upgraded HDR (High Dynamic Range) function now usable in hand-held shooting.

The K-5 features a new-generation, wide-frame SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). The AF system has completely redesigned optics, and factors the light source at the time of shooting into its calculations so as to improve the accuracy of autofocus operation. It also offers a choice of shutter-release options - between focus priority and release priority in the AF.S (single) advance mode, or between focus priority and speed priority in the AF.C (continuous) advance mode.

The K-5 sensor is estimated to be 2-3 stops more sensitive than that of its predecessor, the K-7, meaning that a K-5 photo taken at ISO 6400 will look about as grainy than one taken at ISO 800 with the K-7.

The launch price was US $1749.95.

Read our Full-Length Pentax K-5 Review

Discuss the Pentax K-5 here

Compare the K-5 with other DSLRs here

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

• Version 1.10: Added support for O-GPS1 Astrotracer

ISO Range
100 - 12800 (80 - 51200)
Imaging
Exposure Modes
Green, HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, HyM, X, B, User(5)
Program Modes
Auto, Normal, Action, Depth of field (deep/shallow), MTF
Maximum FPS
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG) with firmware upgrade, Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to appox. 40 frames (PEF/DNG)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
30s - 1/8000s (stepless)
Shutter Speeds (Manual)
B, 30s - 1/8000s. Up to 300s in Astrotracer mode
Shutter Life
Exposure compensation
+/-5 EV (+/- 2 EV in movie mode)
Auto bracketing
2, 3 or 5 frames, one-push bracketing
Expanded dynamic range
Highlight (on, off), Shadow (high, medium, low, off)
Exposure lock
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
None
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Supported (zoom only)
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Distortion,Lateral Chromatic Aberration
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX IX+, 11 focus points (9 cross type), light wavelength sensor)
AF Points
Autofocus sensitivity
-1 EV
Front/back focus correction
Yes (adjustment for up to 20 lenses)
Autofocus with SDM
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Top LCD
Focus Peaking
Back LCD
3 in., 921,000 dots (VGA)
Body
Weather resistant
Control wheels
Battery grip
D-BG4 (takes D-LI90 or 6x AA)
Card slots
Dust removal
Yes, Ultrasonic DR II
Dust alert
Memory card type
SD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware update
Size (W x H x D)
130.5 x 96.5 x 72.5 mm
660 g (740 g with battery and SD card)
File format
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control*
* Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Motion JPEG (AVI)
Exposure Modes
P (auto-aperture), Av
Movie mode restrictions
Av:The aperture can be set manually before recording and is fixed during recording
AF During Recording
Sound in Movie mode
Stereo (external mic), Mono (built-in mic)
Interfacing
Connectivity
USB 2.0, AV out, HDMI out, 3.5mm stereo mic, DC in, X-sync, cable release
Latest Firmware
Version 1.16
Astrotracer compatible (requires firmware update), Electronic level, Embed copyright information in EXIF. High ISO NR can be customized for each major ISO value. Image plane indicator. In-camera RAW development. Save last JPG as RAW. The RAW button is customizable and can perform a variety of functions, hereunder exposure bracketing. The 11 autofocus points cover a wider area of the image than on previous models.
Special Editions

Limited Silver (2012, with silver DA 40mm XS), Limited Silver (2011, special grip, limited SMC DA silver lenses available)

Megapixels: 16.3
ISO Range: 80-51200
Weight: 660g
FPS: 7
LCD: 3.0"
In Production: No
Type: Prosumer/Advanced Amateur
Weather Sealed: Yes
In-Depth Review: Read our Pentax K-5 in-depth review!
Manual: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K-5 Buy the Pentax K-5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 130

Registered: January, 2014
Location: Strasbourg
Review Date: July 13, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ-ergonomy-build quality-silence-weight
Cons: too small for my hands
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

i own two K-01 for landscape, macro with a MF Pentax lenses collection.

this K5 is a wondermachine with a sigma 17-50 2,8.

i want to mary it with a 50-135...

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Adelaide
Review Date: May 14, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $425.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good high ISO performance
Cons: A little small in size.
Years Owned: 5 months    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

I bought this in January from a colleague at work who just upgraded to a K-3. I had planned on keeping my Samsung GX20 (re-badged K-20D) until a Pentax FF was available, but my colleague offered me a very good deal so I thought the used K-5 would be a good Interim upgrade.

Performance wise, In good light the two cameras produce similar results, but at higher ISOs the K-5 is quite a bit superior and the auto focus is better too.

I pretty much like the K-5 but I do have a couple of negatives. I don't have huge hands, but I still find the K-5 a little bit small in my hands so I'm glad my camera came with a Pentax battery grip. I had a grip with the GX20 but mostly used it only with larger lenses. With the K-5 I leave the grip on almost all the time. Hopefully when Pentax finally releases it's FF DSLR it's closer to the GX20/K-20D in size although not any bigger than that.

The only other minor gripe I have with the K-5 is that it's difficult to remove SD cards. They used to pop right out of the GX20, but I have to pull them out of the K-5 and it's a bit fiddly.

Registered: August, 2013

Review Date: April 15, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, IQ, ergonomics, low-light performance
Cons: AF speed/accuracy, a few minor ergonomic quirks.
Years Owned: More than one year    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

This is my first DSLR--and my first autofocus SLR--after a few years shooting almost exclusively with classic film cameras (Pentax, Konica, Olympus OM, and Nikkormat SLRs, plus Canonets, Konica Auto S2, Kodak Retinas, Yashica-Mats, etc.). I learned a lot of photography basics, and picked up some nice K-mount primes in the process--hence my decision to go with Pentax for my first DSLR.

Bought my K-5 used from KEH, after figuring out that the it had the same sensor as the K5II/s, and the same build quality/weather sealing. I thought this would be the best compromise between cost, IQ, and build quality for a second-hand DSLR. (And it arrived looking like new from KEH, with a very low shutter count.)

I shoot mostly candids, street, architecture and abstracts, mostly in natural/existing light. (I don't really need the faster autofocus of the K5II.) And this camera delivers: fantastic dynamic range, great colors--once you find a good camera profile--great ergonomics, and all in a small, rugged package.

I'm used to shooting family/friends with a small rangefinder camera, something I can disappear with into the background. I find the K-5 a little more obtrusive than what I'm used to--a little bigger, a little louder, a little more technical--but of course it's a quiet and meek as a mouse compared to other DSLRs. But it turns out the K-5 is great for candid photography, especially when coupled with one of Pentax's primes. And the low-light performance makes f2.8 fast enough.

I'm still getting used to the control-dial interface. I'm more accustomed to anticipating the light and pre-setting my cameras using shutter/aperture dials that I can see at a glance; having the top panel LCD is helpful, but not quite the same. (The Fuji X-T1 is looking very good right about now!)

One annoying quirk: toggling the arrow buttons between shooting settings and focus-point selection; it's not always easy to figure out when it's switched from one mode to the other.

Wish list: better AF with faster lenses, maybe focus peaking (implemented in successor models, I know), a better solution for manual focusing. (I cut down an old Konica focusing screen for use in the K-5, but I'd prefer it if Pentax had a better microprism screen available for working with their legacy fast MF primes.)

EDIT (September 23, 2014): I've had the K-5 for more than a year now, and have shot ~30,000 frames. I'm mostly shooting with Limited primes these days--the DA 21mm f3.2, the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro, and the 70mm f2.4--and I'm left a bit dissatisfied with the autofocus implementation. I shoot a lot in low light and in natural light, and I'm finding the K-5's AF doesn't quite deliver the goods with faster lenses. I've tried fine-tuning focus, updating to the latest firmware, etc. Sometimes the K-5 nails it, sometimes it doesn't. (It has particular problems discerning a dark subject from a lighter background; daylight outdoor shots of my black dog often end up mis-focusing on the background instead.) But often the only way to know if you've really nailed focus is by looking at the shots on a monitor later.

I'm thrilled with the sensor's low-light performance and dynamic range, happy with its 16mp resolution, and love the K-5's build quality and ergonomics. (The more I use it the more at home I feel with it.) But now I'm considering upgrading to a K-5II or K-5IIs to see if I can't wring more consistent performance out of my Limited primes.

Registered: March, 2009
Location: St. Cloud Minnesota
Review Date: March 2, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: W.R., Build Quality, Image quality, Ergonomics, low noise, wonderful to be able to use my SMC-M and A primes!!
Cons: none yet
Years Owned: 1 month    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

Upgraded from my much appreciated K20-D for speed, noise and features. I will use this primarily for color landscapes, macro, architecture, portraits etc. Have all of the lenses I will ever need as I have both great SMC and DA, FA lenses. I still use my K-1000. Me Super, and Mamiya 645 1000S for black and white. I'm an old fart who is more comfortable in my darkroom than in Aperture for B&W. That won't change. Will update this review in a year when I'm completely familiar with it, but elated so far.

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Ancona - Marche - Italy
Review Date: January 10, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weather resistant, high Iso, image quality, great colors, small, light, build quality, battery life, durability
Cons: None so far
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

According to me the perfect camera

Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Review Date: January 6, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $405.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great upgrade from K20D
Years Owned: 0.1    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 10    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

Wow.... I've had my K20D for a year, after giving it a whirl for a year and reading on this forum knew I wanted to upgrade to the K5 as soon as I could afford one.
Since buying my K20D I've bought a few lenses (cough) a couple of limited primes, a DFA 100mm macro, a 200mm 2.5 telephoto, a 55mm 1.2 prime, 18 -135mm zoom - but the cost of the K5 just seemed to big to justify over the expected improvement of a K20D.
Well Pentax announced the K3 - and the prices of used K5's dropped suddenly...
I guess a lot of dedicated pentaxians are upgrading - and boy am I happy about that.
The K5 is everything I was hoping for.
Way better in low light conditions. Much better AF. Image quality is superb - not a huge upgrade from my K20D but I don't really need more megapixels... the AF and noise reduction were what I was after.

So for the price a *huge* upgrade over my K20D - which I was (and am still) very happy with. But the K5 is definitely a game changer in terms of what it can do.

Registered: August, 2013
Review Date: January 1, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $670.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality, small, light, insane build quality, battery life, lenses, durability, etc.
Cons: Slow write speeds, small dark viewfinder (most DSLRs are like this so technically this isn't an issue), metering sometimes quirky.
Years Owned: 6 months    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

This is my very first DSLR. Before I purchased this in July, I was using a K1000 and Canon EX Auto for film. When I first opened the box, what I immediately noticed was that this camera is durable, solid, and metal. I love metal. Build quality is very important to me, and this camera certainly passes the test. It has a solid stainless-steel chassis wrapped in magnesium alloy, sealed entirely. Lovely. Quite a pretty camera too. Ergonomically, my big hands don't always feel comfortable around it. To me, the grip could be a bit fatter and bigger (which seems to be the case in the new K3). It feels relatively nice though. The user interface, to me, could look a bit nicer and I wish Pentax would integrate more customizability into the interface, since they're known for their innovation and new ideas. Also, the camera is rather slow at writing raw images to the SD card (I have a class 10, this has nothing to do with the card I'm using), and it takes several seconds to write before I can view the image. This bothers me sometimes, I'm kind of used to it by now though. Autofocus is decent, pretty accurate, and relatively fast. The screw drive literally sounds like a quieter form of a power drill though, but it's not terribly loud or anything. This camera is a steal for the price I paid for it, and it's getting cheaper and cheaper as it ages. Definitely worth the money. Image quality is absolutely wonderful, I LOVE it. Noise is decently controlled, much less color noise than other cameras. It handles really well. Highly recommended. The majority (like 99%) of my photos on Flickr are taken with this camera.

Review Date: December 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $380.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Brilliant camera !
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

Upgraded from Kr (which was fantastic) and totally impressed ! Lots of camera for a ood price and much better value from the Canikon ranges.

Registered: October, 2009
Location: Texas
Review Date: December 9, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Feels like glove in your hand
Cons: low light focus can be issue sometimes
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I love the camera, overall for the money I can say it's worth it. I had the camera for a year.

Registered: October, 2011
Location: Nebraska
Review Date: November 27, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $715.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible rendering, High Iso, The Standard of APS-C cameras
Cons: Autofocus
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 6    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

The Pentax K-5 was a complete game changer. It not only changed the standard of ISO performance and image quality, but it changed what I thought I could get from a camera. My K5 has been extremely good, taking amazing quality photos and its ISO performance has been superb. This camera really made me enjoy being a photographer and demonstrated that it could push the limits long beyond its "electronic wear out date". It is 3 years old and it is still one of the best. White balance is incredible, image quality is incredible. The only con to this camera is its Autofocus can be erratic and inaccurate. If Pentax fixes the speed and reliability of their AF system - they win best primes, best cameras, and best legacy glass support. All while having Shake Reduction built in. This camera is awesome and has been my work horse since I have owned it.

Registered: March, 2011
Review Date: November 11, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: solid built
Cons: 3rd market accesories
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I am not much of a reviewer writer but I just know I love this camera. Here is a summary of the Pentax K-5 by Pentax Forums "A fantastic DSLR with exceptional image quality, fast autofocus, high sensitivity, a compact and lightweight design, weather-sealing, and shake reduction backwards-compatible with old lenses even from the screw-mount era. We highly recommend it for three groups of photographers: serious amateurs who have sufficient experience with DSLRs to be able to take advantage of all the K-5's features, outdoor photograhpers who frequently travel and are looking for a complete weather-resistant DSLR system, and professionals who are looking for a camera with high image quality but are on a budget. If you fall into any one of these groups, we feel the K-5 will be the perfect match for you!"

Registered: December, 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Review Date: November 4, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Low noise, fast burst rate, quiet shutter
Cons: Not A Full frame :)
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

This is a fantastic camera. A huge step up from the K-7 in terms of AF and Noise performance. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Texas
Review Date: November 3, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built, weather resistant, great colors
Cons: Slightly slow auto focus
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

This was my first DSLR and really has served me well. It's well built, weather sealed, solid, and takes great images. It has proven great for all types of shooting and hasn't failed me yet.

Registered: September, 2012
Review Date: October 18, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: WR, backward compatible with lenses. good performens, price
Cons: strait out colors sometimes exaggerated
Years Owned: 1 1/2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Compared to some other brands, it seems pentax made ​​a tightly packed camara that exceeds its price in the market. Could maybe be a little bit better, but also much worse A good camara that can be used as you want to get the result. And for me, the cheaper old lenses are in several ways cool things, like the color rendering they provide. It`s also a solid camara with weather sealing which is a big plus here in the north eroupa.

Location: Maui, HI
Review Date: October 17, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,020.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything you need
Cons: Not everything you want
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

Best camera of any brand for the money, I Love it.
Add Review of Pentax K-5 Buy the Pentax K-5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!