Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Noise
128 514,424 Tue September 6, 2016
99% of reviewers $1,019.30 9.26

Pentax K-5

The Pentax K-5 DSLR was developed using the Pentax K-7 as its base; the K-5 inherits the user-friendly operation, array of advanced features and compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, yet it is more resourceful with its high-speed, low-noise CMOS image sensor and high-performance PRIME II imaging engine.

The continuous shooting mode has a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second. It also offers a sensitivity range between ISO 80 and ISO 51200 (when expanded via a custom function) and Full HD-proportion movie recording at 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Other improvements over the K-7 are a faster autofocusing speed and an upgraded HDR (High Dynamic Range) function now usable in hand-held shooting.

The K-5 features a new-generation, wide-frame SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle). The AF system has completely redesigned optics, and factors the light source at the time of shooting into its calculations so as to improve the accuracy of autofocus operation. It also offers a choice of shutter-release options - between focus priority and release priority in the AF.S (single) advance mode, or between focus priority and speed priority in the AF.C (continuous) advance mode.

The K-5 sensor is estimated to be 2-3 stops more sensitive than that of its predecessor, the K-7, meaning that a K-5 photo taken at ISO 6400 will look about as grainy than one taken at ISO 800 with the K-7.

The launch price was US $1749.95.

Read our Full-Length Pentax K-5 Review

Discuss the Pentax K-5 here

Compare the K-5 with other DSLRs here

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

• Version 1.10: Added support for O-GPS1 Astrotracer

ISO Range
100 - 12800 (80 - 51200)
Imaging
Exposure Modes
Green, HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, HyM, X, B, User(5)
Program Modes
Auto, Normal, Action, Depth of field (deep/shallow), MTF
Maximum FPS
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG) with firmware upgrade, Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to appox. 40 frames (PEF/DNG)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
30s - 1/8000s (stepless)
Shutter Speeds (Manual)
B, 30s - 1/8000s. Up to 300s in Astrotracer mode
Shutter Life
Exposure compensation
+/-5 EV (+/- 2 EV in movie mode)
Auto bracketing
2, 3 or 5 frames, one-push bracketing
Expanded dynamic range
Highlight (on, off), Shadow (high, medium, low, off)
Exposure lock
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
None
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Supported (zoom only)
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Distortion,Lateral Chromatic Aberration
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX IX+, 11 focus points (9 cross type), light wavelength sensor)
AF Points
Autofocus sensitivity
-1 EV
Front/back focus correction
Yes (adjustment for up to 20 lenses)
Autofocus with SDM
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Top LCD
Focus Peaking
Back LCD
3 in., 921,000 dots (VGA)
Body
Weather resistant
Control wheels
Battery grip
D-BG4 (takes D-LI90 or 6x AA)
Card slots
Dust removal
Yes, Ultrasonic DR II
Dust alert
Memory card type
SD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware update
Size (W x H x D)
130.5 x 96.5 x 72.5 mm
660 g (740 g with battery and SD card)
File format
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control*
* Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Motion JPEG (AVI)
Exposure Modes
P (auto-aperture), Av
Movie mode restrictions
Av:The aperture can be set manually before recording and is fixed during recording
AF During Recording
Sound in Movie mode
Stereo (external mic), Mono (built-in mic)
Interfacing
Connectivity
USB 2.0, AV out, HDMI out, 3.5mm stereo mic, DC in, X-sync, cable release
Latest Firmware
Version 1.16
Astrotracer compatible (requires firmware update), Electronic level, Embed copyright information in EXIF. High ISO NR can be customized for each major ISO value. Image plane indicator. In-camera RAW development. Save last JPG as RAW. The RAW button is customizable and can perform a variety of functions, hereunder exposure bracketing. The 11 autofocus points cover a wider area of the image than on previous models.
Special Editions

Limited Silver (2012, with silver DA 40mm XS), Limited Silver (2011, special grip, limited SMC DA silver lenses available)

Megapixels: 16.3
ISO Range: 80-51200
Weight: 660g
FPS: 7
LCD: 3.0"
In Production: No
Type: Prosumer/Advanced Amateur
Weather Sealed: Yes
In-Depth Review: Read our Pentax K-5 in-depth review!
Manual: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K-5 Buy the Pentax K-5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-45 of 128

Registered: October, 2011
Location: ct
Review Date: October 16, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $999.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, Build Quality, Easy Menus, Weather proof.
Cons: none so far
Years Owned: 2 years    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

After using my k10d for a couple of years, I decided that I needed an upgrade for something better, and I have to say that it was for the better. This camera is amazing. The Image quality is awesome, it's astonishing the things that I've recovered from a totally underexposed photo. The colors are vibrant, and it feels like a dream in my hands.

Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,015.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast and easy menus, great image quality, weather proof, easy to customize.
Cons: No manual video mode, no tether without 3rd party software.
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Got the K-5 as my first DSLR. I've been shooting film SLR's for 3 years prior to this purchase and, besides my old Pentax ME being my favorite, I chose the K-5 for the weather proofing and compatibility with my already owned lenses, features that I couldn't get with any other manufacturers.

After 15 months with this camera, I can't see myself switching to any other brands. I've shot other cameras from friends, but apart from very few advantages, it's still tough to beat the "bang-for-your-buck" Pentax offers.

The weather proofing and the in-body Image stabilization (the later allowing for any old K-mount manual lenses to be used without any hassle), work flawlessly. My first day with the camera outside it survived a quite decent amount of rain with it's kit lens, and it didn't take me more than 30 minutes out to learn all the little tricks the K-5 offers and switch to manual mode without second guessing myself.

The video quality is good, but I do miss manual video exposure. It can be done but needs some working around, and even then you can't really switch any settings after you start recording.

Image quality blew me off right away. The amount of dynamic range in the RAW files is extensive. To be fair, I never really shot any JPEG's to be able to compare to anything else, but even at that, the camera let's you customize the jpg output for sharpness, contrast, saturation, hue etc... quite easily (1 button to be exact).

Besides those, you get all of Pentax's goodness: in-camera HDR, auto-bracketing up to 5 exposures, interval shooting for time lapse, in-camera RAW processing, filters, 5 custom user modes, microphone input, really long battery life, 100% view finder coverage, a full-range of weather resistant accessories, fine focus adjustment profiles, etc.

In my experience with the K-5, I gotta give it a 9.5 out of 10 at the very least.

Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quiet shutter, excellent image quality, customizable
Cons: Slow focusing at low light
Years Owned: 1 year    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I jumped from a Pentax K-110, from 2006, directly to the K-5. The difference was mesmerizing. Going from an entry level to a semi-pro meant that I could compare the features in both cameras. Foremost for me, what stands-out of the K5 is its image quality, such as noise handling at higher ISO, color depth and exposure. The K5 outshines the K-110 in all these areas. It also has some features that I now find invaluable, such as the level-indicator, a quiet shutter, the innumerable customizable settings, and its all-weather sealing. Pentax engineers made a truly remarkable camera, and it remains a great camera even 3 years after coming out.
There are some flaws, of course. I find that focusing can become erratic at low light, but it is nevertheless light-years improved over the K-110. Video options are limited, and sometimes I wish that it was more capable in this area. But as a photographic machine I cannot complain, as I'm using a piece of equipment that would've been a professional camera only a few years back.

Registered: September, 2010
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, dynamic range, small
Cons:
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

Probably the best APS-C camera out there now competing with the Nikon D7000/D7100. Amazing dynamic range and there's so much detail you can pull out of raw files. Almost as good as the D600/D800 and better sensor than the Canon full frames.

Moderator

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good size, easy intuitive operation, good battery life, I can use all my old K-mount lenses.
Cons: Only one really: I don't like the LV (Live View) button where it is located.
Years Owned: 1 year    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 7    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

I really enjoy my K-5. It is my first digital SLR and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to make the change to digital with this camera.

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Washington, USA
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid feel (not cheap and plasticy), great controls/functions, weather sealing
Cons: video recording
Years Owned: 1.5    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Honestly, I'm glad that I bought this and took the step up from my old *istDS. It was worth it because my photography level had grown beyond entry level DSLRs. I'm pleased with the weather sealing, and the strength of the camera in low light. I'm also pleased with the fact that it works with so many great Pentax lenses. Now I just need to have money to buy those lenses!

Location: Seattle,
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $679.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: easy to handle, 7 fps, excellent image quality, good live view
Cons: live view autofocus hunts a lot, usually use manual focus
Years Owned: 1 year 4 months    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

An excellent camera. This model solves several of the problems of previous cameras - slow frame per second rate and no hd video and seems to operate without any bugs. Though compact it balances very well with longer lenses like the DA*300mm f4. It is also small enough to be easy to handhold even in vertical position without an extra grip. Battery life is very good. I almost never run out of power unless I am starting with a partially charged battery. Exposure with older MF lenses is pretty good, though some require tweaking. F, FA and DA series lenses all work beautifully. Also had very good luck with aftermarket Sigma and Samyang lenses.

Location: Idaho
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Almost perfect from my perspective.WR is awesome!
Cons:
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

I am really excited every time I use this camera. It definitely is a bargin for the pro construction. The WR is what brought me to Pentax. Perfect for outdoor enthusiasts.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: USA

Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $899.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ergonomics, Weather-Resistant, In-Body Stabilization
Cons: Mediocre AF performance, stabilization could be a lot better
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 6    Autofocus: 6    Features: 7    Value: 7    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

In-Body Image Stabilization is a blessing at times but quite often it's underwhelming when compared against the best Optical Image Stabilization lenses available for Canon/Nikon. The K100D had an external switch to turn stabilization On/Off but the K-5 requires menu diving which is a pain. Any time you're not in a good shutter speed range to benefit from stabilization, images are usually sharper with it off, sometimes dramatically sharper.

No problems with single-AF on static subjects but then any camera can do that. With only 11 AF points, Continuous-AF on moving subjects is nowhere near as good as Nikon's 39 or 51-point AF systems with predictive tracking.

Resale value is hardly a Pentax strong-point either. On the plus side, it's well-built (except for the lens-release button which a lot of people have seen fall off), it feels great in the hand (except for the stiff/sluggish weather-resistant buttons), and the viewfinder is large, bright and 100% coverage.

The K-5 is a good enough camera but whether it's the best one for you depends a lot on whether your needs coincide with the camera's strengths or it's weaknesses. Personally, I detest Nikon's frequent rendering of reds as orange so that's a huge hit against Nikon for me. Canon's cheap-feeling plastic bodies with poor-ergonomics and often sketchy AF means that only their high-end professional and semi-professional models hold any appeal. Canon and Nikon have impressive lens ranges but that does me little good if I can't afford them. With Pentax, there are some remarkable yet affordable lens options: DA55-300, DA40, DA70, Tamron 28-75/f2.8 and 70-200/f2.8, and the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (all stabilized to some degree).

Registered: October, 2011
Location: British Columbia
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, Build, AF fine tuning
Cons: Stubby grip
Years Owned: 1.5    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

I was considering an upgrade for quite a while from my K-x, but was held back by the thought that the K-5 was more of a body upgrade than a true image quality upgrade. And, I was half correct in my thinking.

I am still pleased that I pulled the trigger on the purchase of the K-5. AF speed, accuracy, and fine adjustment is what really has impressed me on this camera, relative to the K-x that I had been used to. The ergonomics of the camera are generally great, with all features being within thumbs reach while using the camera. My only gripe is the shallow grip on the camera. Is it tiny? No, it isn't. However, with larger lenses, I really wish it had a bit more depth to it.

The good button placement has increased my keeper rate for photos in practise. Hypothetically, if I didn't shoot weddings or kids, would I care? Probably not. The ergonomics of the camera facilitate quick adjustments on the fly so, for me, the K-5 is a good fit.

IQ wise relative to the K-x, you'll get a bit more dynamic range, a slight improvement in high ISO performance and more reliable AF for fairly still subjects. I'll be keeping mine for a good while.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Pros: long time battery life
Cons: n/a
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

The reason why it is a 9 is due to we have to give pentax a reason to improve and yes they did. They have just released K-3 which is another gorgeous camera worth to have.

Instead heading for K3, with holding my k5 I have nothing real to complaint about. I believe this camera will be with me until the day pentax release their full frame camera.

I used to have a kr. Comparing with kr, k5 does a bettery job in battery time lasting (easily satify a requirement for a 2 day trip) and noise limiting. I didn't see a big jump in image quality at low iso settings, but at higer iso the improvement is obvious.

Good job, pentax. I am waiting for your full frame keep it going.

Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: It is simply a thing of beauty to me and outperforms my friends more expensive Canon in virtually every way
Cons: The finicky dial and the card slot is hard to extract the card for me, thats all
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

First off the obvious, I'm posting this review for the compo entry. that aside it is a good exercise to write a short review.

At age 43 this is my first DSLR so I found the scoring above difficult, it is very much my perception as I have no direct comparison.

I purchased my K-5 from a studio photographer who had decided the Pentax platform wasn't for him along with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, a Metz AF50, a battery grip (never used by me) and some other bits for what I felt a very good price of 650. I've since added a DA55-300, a sigma 105 EX and a M50. Every single item I've bought since I took on this hobby has been second hand (apart from a SD card) and to me that in itself is one of the major joys of the Pentax platform, the second hand market is incredibly viable. Sellers have for me at least been very honest and prices are very favourable compared to Canon / Nikon.

I have a couple of small issues with the ergonomics (both of which appear fixed on the K-3) but the proof of the pudding lies in the image quality. Around the same time as I purchased the K-5 a friend of mine bought a 650D. He couldn't believe how much better results I was achieving side by side so he went and spent his tax rebate on some L series glass. Already many hundreds of pounds over what I have spent he upgraded to a 70D and is now thinking of selling the lot to buy a K-3! As I don't have the experience or expertise to give a technical review I think that story is review enough

I have always been one to choose the niche product and then find out to my cost why it was niche in the first place and was concerned I was falling into my own trap with the K-5 but I couldn't be happier that I stayed away from the big three.

Thanks for Reading

Registered: September, 2012
Location: Apex, NC
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, ease of use, beautiful pictures, large selection of lenses, good for the pro or beginner
Cons: bit slow in low light
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

The K-5 is a great camera. It is my second pentax as well as my second DSLR. I would say that I am a moderate user. I've shot just around 30K pictures with this camera and have had great success. It's user interface is very easy to get used to and I find it has every feature that I would want. I don't think I'll be upgrading or changing brands. It has been such a good machine that I've invested the money in a decent set of lenses. 10-24mm, 18-135mm, 70-300mm, 50mm prime and 90mm prime of various manufacture.

This camera is also very rugged; I have had two occasions where it has left my grasp and made the journey to the hard ground below. After nearly having a heart attack, the only thing i can find wrong is a light scratch in the black finish.

I love this camera

Registered: October, 2013
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: waterproof, image quality, easy to learn/use, built-in stabilization, lens range and availability
Cons: no
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Bought this camera to replace my first ever Pentax DSLR the K200.

I am very very pleased with the k-5 and cannot fault it, guess i will be sticking sith Pentax for a whilst longer now.

Registered: May, 2013
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-5: Yes | Price: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast focusing, low noise, water seal, easy to use
Cons: only 11 focus points, not high speed flash sync, A little slow focus in dark conditions
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

I love it. I just wish that Pentax would have more lenses selection. Some third party company have but not enough. For example, a lens converter, extension tubes, 180mm macro 1:1 etc.
Add Review of Pentax K-5 Buy the Pentax K-5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!