Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Image Quality
Noise
21 53,618 Tue April 11, 2017

Pentax K-50

The Pentax K-50 introduced in June 2013 replaces the K-30 and is like the K-30 a 16-megapixel mid-level DSLR from Pentax. It shares most specifications with the K-30 but has a more conservative body design. The K-50 is built around a metal chassis and the body is made from polycarbonate. The camera features weather-sealing and is cold proof, and it has a good array of external buttons to make it faster to use in the field for the demanding photographer.

The K-50 kits (camera plus one or two zoom lenses) are available in black, red, and white body color, whereas the body itself is available in a large number of color combinations.

Three K-50 kits were introduced:

Some of the key features of the K-50 are:

- Cold proof to -10 degrees C/14 degrees F
- Weather-sealed
- A focusing screen optimized for manual focusing is available
- Two User Modes for saving/recalling user settings
- RAW/Fx customizable button
- Wireless control of external flash
- Composition adjustment
- Astrotracer mode (with optional O-GPS1 GPS unit)
- Electronic level and horizon correction
- Wired and wireless remote control
- 19 digital filters, multilayered
- Optional AC adapter K-AC128
- Comes with a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
- Can use AA batteries with an optional battery holder

Compared to the K-30 the differences are:

- ISO tops at 51,200 (up from 25,600)
- Green shooting mode has been replaced with Auto picture mode

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

• Version 1.02: Added compatibility with HD Pentax-DA Rear Converter 1.4X AW
  • Version 1.01: AF assist light function made compatible with the new flashes, AF360FGZ II and AF540FGZ II

Camera Manual:

Program Modes
Normal
Maximum FPS
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 6 fps up to 30 frames (JPG), 8 frames (RAW) Lo: 3 fps until card is full (JPG), 10 frames (RAW)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
30s - 1/6000s (stepless)
Shutter Speeds (Manual)
B, 30s - 1/6000s. Up to 300s in Astrotracer mode
Shutter Life
Exposure compensation
+/-5 EV (+/-2 EV in movie mode)
Auto bracketing
3 frames, one-push bracketing
Expanded dynamic range
Highlight (auto, on, off), Shadow (auto, high, medium, low, off)
Exposure lock
Multiple exposures
Yes, average and additive, 2 to 9 shots
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
19: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Moving Object, Night Scene Portrait, Sunset, Blue Sky, Forest, Night Scene, Night Scene HDR (JPG only), Night Snap, Food, Pet, Kids, Surf & Snow, Backlight Silhouette, Candlelight, Stage Lighting, Museum
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Not supported
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Distortion,Lateral Chromatic Aberration
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX IXi+, 11 focus points (9 cross type), diffraction lens, wavelength sensor)
AF Points
Autofocus sensitivity
-1 EV
Front/back focus correction
Yes (adjustments for up to 20 lenses)
Autofocus with SDM
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Dust alert
Memory card type
SD, SDHC, SDXC, Eye-Fi
Size (W x H x D)
129 x 96.5 x 70 mm (5.1 x 3.8 x 2.8 in.)
650 g (23 oz)
File format
DNG (RAW),JPG,MOV
Battery life
480 images with Li-Ion battery (no flash use) 1250 images with AA lithium (no flash use)
Battery
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control* * Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Interval movie
Exposure Modes
P, Av and M exposure control
Movie mode restrictions
In Av and M mode: Aperture must be set prior to shooting (unless using a lens with manual aperture setting)
AF During Recording
Connectivity
USB 2.0, AV out, cable release
Latest Firmware
Link to Download Page
Astrotracer compatible, Electronic Level, Embed copyright information in EXIF, High ISO NR can be customized for each major ISO value, In-camera RAW development, Multilayer digital filters, Image plane indicator, Save last JPG as RAW, The RAW button is customizable and can perform a variety of functions, hereunder exposure bracketing
Megapixels: 16.3
ISO Range: 100-51,200
Weight: 650 g (23 oz)
FPS: 6 fps
LCD: 3 inch, 921,000 dots
In Production: Buy the Pentax K-50
Type: Weather-sealed DSLR
Weather Sealed: Yes
In-Depth Review: Read our Pentax K-50 in-depth review!

Add Review of Pentax K-50 Buy the Pentax K-50
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 21

Registered: April, 2017
Review Date: April 11, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: image quality, handling, controls
Cons: (somewhat) focus, video
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

The Pentax K50 is a solid, satisfying camera, its sensor is capable of excellent results but it is still lacking a bit in terms of focus speed.
Even though I really like this camera, I'd never recommend it where shooting video is a must, while for photo-oriented tasks I'd say it's still very good in spite of it being 4 years old.
Focus speed is not great but with some lenses it is much better; more-than-occasional low-light hunting may happen, something that is becoming an annoying thing of the past with more modern models but I personally don't care very much. The idea is that with the right lens also this issue can be almost forgotten.
Controls are OK for anybody familiar with other Pentax digital bodies and mostly well laid-out; I am still a nostalgic of the film era so sometimes I'd like some more past-oriented options but from this point of view Pentax is even more conservative than other brands, so it is quite from thids point of view, too.
The live view, once you get used to it, can be very useful especially with old lenses. It's not a novelty but on SLR cameras, in 2013, a good live view experience was not for granted.
I give an 8 just for the focus thing, otherwise I'd happily give it a 9!

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Port Elizabeth
Review Date: February 12, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: No | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: High ISO capabilities
Cons: Numerous intermittent problems

My first DSLR was a Pentax K-r, which I am still using. I have thoroughly enjoyed this camera. It has given good service and has over 60 000 shutter clicks and is still going strong.

As I am keen on wildlife photography became frustrated with continuously changing lenses to suit the circumstances, so I decided to get a second Pentax. I read all the reviews and settled on the K-50, because it looked like a good option and because of its compatibility with the K-r - batteries, remote and other accessories. My K-r is now armed with the 170-500 mm lens and the K-50 with the 18-250 mm. This makes a great combination when shooting wildlife, because of the flexibility.

However, I am not entirely happy with the K-50, because I do not always get the results or the performance expected. It is generally a good camera and has a lot of great features that I like using. The high ISO capabilities are excellent, as there is little or no noise.

Things I do not like are a the intermittent problems, which bring its reliability in to question and take the fun out of using it:
  1. Sometimes instant replay does not happen after a picture is taken. I find this feature useful as a quick check, to ensure that the picture is ok. Also means I don't have to chimp.
  2. Playback button does not work after a picture is taken. To be able to view pictures taken I have to turn camera off and then on again. Only then does the playback button work.
  3. When taking a series of photos the autofocus stops working after a few clicks. I have to turn the camera off and on again for it to work again.
  4. The inability to shoot a series of shots, unless the camera is set to "continuous mode". Unlike the K-r that keeps firing away as the stutter button is pressed.
  5. Pictures, especially landscapes are often very dark, even when using the AF lock function. On a recent trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park I had to work on my settings to ensure decent shots (TAV or manual). This is not ideal when you only have a fleeting opportunity to take the shot. I've been tempted to buy a manual light meter, so that I can go back to the traditional way of doing things. With the K-r, I set it to Av and away I go - no problems.

The fact is that I prefer using my K-r and if I knew then what I know now I would never have bought a K-50.

As Pentax does not honour its guarantees worldwide I cannot get it sorted out in South Africa. Sending it back to the USA is not a viable option.

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Review Date: July 26, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $291.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Durable, great image quality, light
Cons: None I've found yet.
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

This is a little tribute to Pentax. I retired from my day job in February, 2015. I began setting up at least one camera in the yard, daily, to take hummingbird photos using Catch-In-Focus. Up until then, I had been doing this only on weekends and holidays. A year ago (July 23, 2015), I received a K-50 to use as the main hummingbird camera, since experience has taught me that I'd be shooting a LOT of hummingbird photos in retirement, and I didn't want to burn out my K-3 and K-5. I got it from Amazon for $290. A good deal for a 16MP camera that will shoot at 6 frames-per-second. On July 23, 2016 I checked the EXIF data for the last image taken on the 22nd. In the one year that I've had it, my K-50 has taken 64,668 shots. It's still out there today, taking more. It's been pretty toasty here in California lately. At 12:41 PM on the 22nd, it recorded an internal temperature (also in EXIF) of 51.7ºC, or 125ºF, in the image below. It has a tendency to shut down when the ambient temperature seems to get over 95ºF. I just go out at around 2PM and reset the shutter release to wake it up again. I don't know if Pentax gave the K-50 a bit of self preservation code to do that, but it seems pretty smart to me. Not only do Pentax cameras taken nice photos, they're durable as well. I'll try to remember to post an update in a year to report the shutter count at that time.
UPDATE: Today is July 23, 2017. Two years since my K-50 arrived. The 'Shutter Count' recording on the last image it recorded today was 237,243. I was hoping to get to 250,000, but that's not the K-50's fault. I blame that on the current dominant hummingbird in my yard who wants only her image taken, and chases all the other birds off. Perhaps in a couple weeks... At one point, back in May, this K-50 shot over 2,700 hummingbirds in one day. I'd say this is a robust camera.
Here is image #237,243:

Registered: June, 2014
Location: Springhill Nova Scotia
Review Date: May 4, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $495.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: viewfinder, build,
Cons: no top LCD, view finder info.
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 7    Value: 7    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

Image quality is very nice there is no fault here. On sunny days I find it hard to read info shown on the view finder, this where a top LCD is useful and I dont like reading from the LCD screen. Shutter is very noisy but not a big deal.
I would advise any one to try before buy as I went by positive ratings and not touch. very good camera I think for the right person just not me.

Registered: November, 2014
Review Date: April 18, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IBIS, Pentaprism viewfinder, dual control wheels, weather sealing and a great feature set
Cons: Solid but not state of the art AF, a bit loud
Years Owned: 1.5    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

After being away from serious photography for over a decade, I decided to get a DSLR. After some research, I found that the K-50 offered the best bang for the buck and I really like the IBIS.

The camera handles great, it has excellent image quality and between physical and operational features, it is really pretty loaded feature-wise. And the IBIS make buying lenses more affordable. Plus, I intend to get into astrophotography and the GPS option is a killer.

I eagerly and honestly recommend this camera to anyone looking for a camera that meets a budget. Obviously, if you can afford a K-3 or K-1, go for it, but for people with more limited resources all the features and performance the K-50 offers are hard to beat.

About the only people I wouldn't recommend this to would be serious sports photographers or people that want sexy video features. Or maybe people that really, honestly need a quiet camera. Just about anyone else should consider this fine camera.

And just to be clear, my price for the camera was with the two kit lenses but before a $100 rebate.

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Review Date: March 3, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: weather sealing, ability to use old lenses
Cons:
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

I love this camera .

For the cost I don't think there's a better DSLR out there. The similarly priced Nikon D3200 is way worse (the Nikon has no weather sealing, feels like plastic, and has only one dial--dual dials are a must). For a photographer with a limited budget, the K-50 is a quality option that allows to to experiment with legacy lenses without breaking the bank.

Almost immediately after buying I paired it with a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 and the pictures are simply amazing. The camera is very comfortable in my hand and feels solid. The only ergonomic complain I have, which is quite minor, is that the SD card is a little difficult to extract from the camera. You just have to be a bit patient and gentle with it.

I got mine with an 18-55mm kit lens, which is a pretty boring lens and I haven't used it since upgrading to the 50mm. However within its limitations the kit lens is pretty sharp and it's portraits at the longer end are very nice as long as there's enough light. To compare, the portraits from the 50mm f/1.7 are an order of magnitude better, so I recommend just going with the body and getting a cooler lens from the start.

For the most part the noise is negligible. Pictures up to ISO 3200 are usable, though definitely not as crisp as ISO800 for instance. The rendering of backgrounds isn't as creamy as I would like but that's only at 100% pixel peeping.

So far I've shot about 3500 pictures and no problems yet.

Registered: November, 2015
Location: Cornpatch, Iowa

Review Date: February 13, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $129.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Value and versatility
Cons: No articulated screen
Years Owned: <1    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

While I am reviewing only the K-50 here, I’m certain that a lot of what I say will apply to the entire Pentax line of DSLRs, and probably more precisely to the K-30 and the K-500. I have owned a few Pentax film SLRs, but this is my first Pentax DSLR.

I bought my brand-new K-50 body for $129, so this review might be a little skewed in its favor. Before Christmas, Samy's Camera was selling a kit that included the K-50, and 18-55 WR lens, and flash for $349, with a $100 Promaster rebate. I received the rebate, sold the lens and flash. Even a middling camera is going to seem better when purchased for such a reasonable price. Did I say reasonable price? I guess I mean ridiculously low.

However, the K-50 is certainly not a middling camera—in fact, it is a steal even at the current asking price of $295 for body only. This camera would be a steal at $400.

There's only one thing I miss on the K-50: it doesn't have an articulated screen—those things are indispensable for getting down-to-earth or over-the-crowd shots. Once you’ve used one, you’ll never want to go back.

I can’t say very much about the K-50’s auto-focus capabilities, because I seldom use AF lenses. The only auto-focus lens I own, in fact, is the 18-135 WR. It's a good lens, but not nearly as fast (aperture- and focus-wise) as the 25-400mm (equivalent) on my FZ-1000; however, it covers a good range... and it's weatherproof. When I use it, focus seems to be quick and precise. I also use a Rokinon 8mm—I guess you'd call it semi-automatic on the K-50, as it has an "A" setting. But for 90 percent of my shooting, I’m the one doing the focusing, because my other six lenses, four primes and two zooms, are vintage glass, M-42 and K-mount.

I don't know of any other camera line that can shoot with such a variety of legacy and third-party glass. Also, I don't know why the K-50 is advertised or reviewed in so many places as an "entry level" camera. What more could one possibly ask for in this price range (or even if you spent another $400 to $600?). The K-50 beats the hell out of Nikon's 5000 series. It has a dial front and back for aperture/shutter speed, conveniently placed for forefinger and thumb, making manual shooting a dream. Also, these dials and most of the buttons are customizable.

To put this review in perspective, I also shoot with a Panasonic FZ1000, so I am spoiled with outstanding optics (amazing viewfinder and the sharpest 25-400mm lens around, and a very capable one-inch sensor—with top-notch focus peaking and an articulated screen) so my K-50 has some stiff competition for ease of use and IQ. Also, the FZ1000 rivals the K-50 for its ability to print professional-grade photos up to 20x24 and larger, although the FZ1000 begins to lose ground above ISO 1600.

Things I love about the K-50: outstanding sensor and low-light capability, industry-leading viewfinder, focus peaking (although not as good as the FZ1000), excellent JPEGs, great balance and a really chunky grip, ability to use a variety of vintage glass, weather resistance and cold proofing (a big advantage here in Colorado), tough, good looking, easy-to-use menu and customizability...

Did I mention that I can use almost any lens ever made? And like Panasonic and Olympus, Pentax puts the image stabilization in the body, so that every lens I put on the camera is a stabilized lens. What a huge advantage that is over other camera lines!

An interesting thing: with screw-mount vintage lenses (M-42 mount), the K-50 acts almost like they're auto lenses... just set the aperture and shoot in M or AV mode (you can shoot in TAV mode, too, if you limit the range of ISO)... no pressing of the green button, no delays, no missed shots.

NOISE: I always wonder when I see people rating noise if they're talking about 1, the actual sonic element (shutter, mirror, auto-focus too loud), or 2, image quality. In regard to 1, the Pentax is loud enough that it might interrupt a wedding during the vows. It ranks up there with a lot of film cameras: noisy but not overbearing. 2, the sensor is virtually noise-free up to ISO 3200, where it shows, especially on tightly cropped images, but the "noise" lends an artistic quality akin to film grain—pleasing, not ugly. The noise in my Panasonic looks like someone threw straw on a floor.

I grew up with a film camera in hand, graduated to SLRs when I was in the service, developed and printed my own film; had a Nikon Photomic Ftn, a Yashica-D medium format; then, later, three Canon AE-1 Programs. I currently own a Honeywell Pentax SP 1000 (up for sale here on the forums); just sold a cherry ME and a sweet MX.

More things I like about the K-50:
  • excellent images: JPEGs are very good, so I only shoot RAW when I'm shooting for $$$
  • the menu is laid out in simple format—one of the best (I'm comparing to Olympus and Panasonic)
  • ISO 3200 is not only doable, but the "noise" looks like fine camera grain, not like straw thrown on a floor, so high-ISO shots are pleasing to the eye
  • focus peaking
  • weather and cold resistant

Here's a quick roundup of a few things I don't like about the K-50:
  • SD card removal is difficult—you almost need tweezers
  • what good is the ability to use AA batteries if you have to buy an adapter?
  • no articulated screen—making it difficult to see the screen from various angles, and leaving this otherwise tank-like body vulnerable to damage
  • focus peaking is only adequate
  • auto focus with the 18-135 is okay but not industry leading
  • no direct video button
  • green button, which I use a lot, is poorly placed

In summary: You could spend between $600 and $1100 on a camera kit (I’m thinking of the Nikon D3300 and the D5500 2-lens kits on sale at Costco) and get less for your money than you get with the Pentax K-50. I would buy it again even if I had to pay $300 for it, because that is half what it’s worth.

The K-50 is an amazing photographic tool. I love mine.

amateur dirt farmer...

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Review Date: January 17, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $526.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: ease of use, manual modes, dual control wheels
Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

I purchased my K-50 in December 2014 and used it as my primary camera until December 2015, when I was able to upgrade to the K-3. The K-50 is my first DSLR - I jumped to the K-50 after several point-and-shoot and bridge cameras previously. I bought the K-50 with the two kit lenses.

The K-50 is an amazing value, especially today with the lower prices; I don't know of another DSLR that covers its range of features and image quality at this price-point. To begin with, I started using the K-50 in 'green' mode, but quickly was able to learn to move to its more accessible manual modes. I learned about ISO, aperture, and shutter speed on this camera - all of its features are so accessible.

Ergonomically, it is a well-thought-out camera. The grip is solid and stable, buttons are well-marked, and while the user interface may not always be intuitive, with help of the manual and the available e-book (definitely worthwhile), I was able to drill down to the features I wanted to use. The bright optical viewfinder is so much better than an EVF - there is no comparison.

This camera is responsible for the beginnings of my LBA and I was able to use every single lens I bought on the K-50, from the K300 and M 50, to the DA 18-135mm. Every lens delivered amazing shots through the K-50.

I keep my K-50 as a backup now (to my K-3) and would not think of parting with it. In the year I used it, I shot over 20,000 pictures without a mechanical/electrical problem at all, and any shots I did not keep were due to the shortcomings of the loose nut behind the viewfinder.

Registered: December, 2015
Review Date: December 29, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great feature set including weather resistance and 100% view through a real penta prism
Cons: Ergonomics could be better (i.e. the exposure compensation dial.)
Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

I dumped a Nikon 5200 for this Pentax and wow what a difference. I have shot with nikons for 25 years, but I am so glad I made the switch. There are so many used lens choices, and so many creative features to choose from that I could spend a few hours writing about these two points alone! The image quality is excellent and so far I am extremely impressed by the build quality. The Pentax K-50 is simply the best bang for your buck available in the market today!

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Catalonia
Review Date: October 29, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $255.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: All except 2 cons
Cons: Video codec!! and a litle AF
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

Pentax sells this camera like an entry camera, but... it's so amazing, i can't buy another camera because the quality gain for me is negligible. Only i'm waiting pentax put a decent video codec in kS2 and will be a perfect camera for me.

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Review Date: October 7, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $530.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2 control wheels, 100% pentaprism OVF, WR, in body SR, using old lenses, etc.
Cons: None so far
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

This is an AMAZING camera. Bought for 600 CAD with two lenses. (600 CAD was 530 USD when I bought it and 600 CAD is around 460 USD now).
It feels perfect in my hands, better than any canikon I tried.
Very cheap with tons of features, not found in entry level canikons.
I can use this camera with old K-mount and M42 (with simple adapter) lenses with ease.
So many positive things, nothing negative.
With this price it is impossible to beat.
Have already taken upwards of 5000 pictures with it and never had an issue.
I can't say anything bad about it.

You will love this camera if you get it!

Edit:
Did actually have the aperture failure at around 10000 shots.
Fixed under warranty and all is fine at around 15000 shots now.

AF and Noise does leave something to be desired but for the price I can't complain.

Registered: May, 2015
Review Date: July 19, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $270.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: WR, 2 control wheels, built quality, price
Cons: no battery grip,
Years Owned: 0.5    New or Used: New

I got mine this January on a spend-all-your-Christmas-money-here sale at Saturn. I already had an eye one the k30/k50 and when I saw the price of 300€ I couldn't resist and I was happy when an employee told me about the cashback which made it an even better trade for me. I already got to grab the K5 but I found it to be to much for me, the Nikon didn't feel right and the Canons in this league (650d/700d) well you know felt cheap and I found them useless for night shots.

So what can I say about it? I love it! I like the fact that I don't have to care about the weather, as long as I mount a WR lens and I love the 2nd wheel which spares me from going into the menu for changing the most basic settings.

The only complain I got is the fact that there is no battery grip available, but on the other hand if you really need to enhance the endurance then you can still go for the battery cage.

So if you want a solid performer in its class, the K50 is the right choice!

Not the best image on the web but okay for showing the WR in action

Registered: November, 2014
Review Date: March 26, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $485.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built in shake reduction, two mode dials
Cons: new lenses are less in number and more costly compared to canikon
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

I am from India and am using this camera from last 6 months. While this camera is a decent performer and has many features like shake reduction and weather sealing that are good for a camera of this segment, on the down side it is noisy at higher ISOs and the new lens prices are higher compared to canon and nikon. In an industry dominated by canon and nikon if you want to get a foot hold, competitive price and better quality and features is the key. While Pentax is good at features it lacks in competitive pricing of its lens. At least in India which can be a big market for it, the availability of the pentax lenses is low and the prices are too high. Here are few of my click using this camera and some inexpensive lens.you can visit my flickr page to get some. But altogether this camera is a great one.

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Sumner, WA
Review Date: November 29, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: Yes | Price: $899.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: focus peaking, comfort in the hand, ease of use
Cons: loud shutter, no grip, battery life using LV
Years Owned: 9 months    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

Have been very pleased with the K-50, having put 15k+ shots in it over the past 9 months. Is my first DSLR, though I have shot with a Nikon D5100, and a Canon 7D. Build quality on the K-50 smokes the D5100, and feels just as solid as the considerably more expensive 7D. I will say that the K-50's AF is definitely in a lower class than the 7D, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as so many people have made it seem to be. All modern DSLR's are capable of taking great shots, and the K-50 is no different. The real clincher for me is Focus Peaking. Checked it out when I first started learning the K-50, didn't give it a second thought, but revisited the feature towards the end of the summer, when I was really in full swing with macro flower shooting. In short -- what was I thinking?!?! It's a fantastic feature, definitely a must have if you do macro work with MF. Super-easy to use, and it allows me to control the focus plane with little effort. As tempting as it is to "step up" to a K-5iis (they are practically giving them away right now) the K-5iis lacks Focus Peaking -- so it's a no go, regardless of how great the pricing is.

K-50 feels good in my hand, looks stylish (white/black) and has the excellent Pentax ergonomics (twin wheels, comfortable grip). Since I started using LV a lot more (Focus peaking) I have definitely noticed the shorter lifespan on the battery, but 3rd party units are cheap, so no big deal. I listed the lack of grip as a negative, and it is for me. I didn't do my research well enough been I bought the K-50 (new to photography, and DSLR's, specifically) and didn't realize the option wasn't there -- so no fault of the K-50, just poor research on my part. I have actually fashioned a grip from an old Nikon D60, and while I don't have the actual usage features, I do get the added support for my larger hands, so it definitely sees some use. I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be disappointed to the lack of a top LCD, and I was right, having pretty easily trained my eye to just look in the bottom of the VF for settings. I did have a couple of lockups early on (where I had to pop the battery to get things going again), but I haven't had it happen in the past 6 months, so not sure what caused it. Shutter is indeed noisy when compared to my buddy's K-5 (and the 7D), but it's not a problem for the shooting I do. I would say that even in a church wedding, teh ambient noise would drown it out, so it's a non-issue to me.

I think the K-50 is a fantastic first DSLR for anybody, and a significant upgrade to folks using older Pentax models. The current pricing (sub $400) + the overall feature set makes it an excellent purchase, and while I may "graduate" to a K-3 (or whatever) someday, I'm pretty sure this K-50 will be staying in the family a long time.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Review Date: May 27, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K-50: No | Price: $496.95 | Rating: 1

Pros: Excellent sensor/image qualities
Cons: Unfriendly for manual & screw mount lenses
Years Owned: 2 months    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 4    Autofocus: 6    Features: 1    Value: 5    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Purchased from B&H 03 27 2014 - Returned to Pentax for repair 05 27 2014.
Changing camera modes and functions appears to induce the camera to freeze up and will not power off without removing the battery -
Add Review of Pentax K-50 Buy the Pentax K-50

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!