Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Image Quality
Noise
1 9,804 Sat January 21, 2017

Pentax K-70

The Pentax K-70 was announced in June 2016 and is a very advanced 24MP APS-C DSLR for its price point. It inherits features from the K-50 and the K-S2, and adds several features otherwise only found on high end bodies like the K-3 II and K-1. As if this wouldn't be enough the K-70 adds two new features of its own: It is the first Pentax DSLR to support lenses with electronic control of the aperture, a feature that videographers will benefit from because it allows precise exposure adjustment during video recording, and it is also the first Pentax DSLR to have a hybrid phase detect/contrast detect autofocus system in live view and for video recording.

The K-70's key features:

• 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor with phase detect AF capability
  • Hybrid phase detect/contrast detect autofocus in video mode
  • Continuous autofocus during video recording with select lenses
  • Focus peaking
  • Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
  • Full HD video recording at 60p
  • 4K interval movie
  • Star stream movie
  • In-body shake reduction. Works with all lenses, old as new
  • Compatible with the optional O-GPS1 unit including support for astrotracing

The pixel shift capability has been improved over the K-3II in that the K-70 like the K-1 will attempt to correct artifacts stemming from moving objects.

The K-70 has no anti-alias filter in front of the sensor. Should moiré be an issue the K-70 includes the unique Pentax feature of an AA filter simulator that works by vibrating the sensor ever so slightly during exposure thereby reducing or eliminating moiré. An AA simulator bracketing mode is available (off - weak filter - strong filter).

Camera Manuals:

ISO Range
100 - 102,400
Imaging
Exposure Modes
Auto (green), Scene, HyP, Sv, Av, Tv, TAv, HyM, B, User(3)
Program Modes
Normal
Maximum FPS
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 6 fps up to 40 frames (JPG), 10 frames (RAW), Lo: 3 fps up to 100 frames (JPEG), 16 frames (RAW)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
30s - 1/6000s (stepless), Up to 300s in Astrotracer mode
Shutter Speeds (Manual)
B, 1200s - 1/6000s, Up to 300s in Astrotracer mode
Shutter Life
Exposure compensation
+/-5 EV (+/-2 EV in movie mode)
Auto bracketing
3 frames, one-push bracketing
Expanded dynamic range
Highlight (auto, on, off), Shadow (auto, high, medium, low, off)
Exposure lock
Multiple exposures
Yes, average, additive and bright, 2 to 2000 shots
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
20: Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Moving Object, Night Scene Portrait, Sunset, Blue Sky, Forest, Night Scene, Night Scene HDR (JPG only), Night Snap, Food, Pet, Kids, Surf & Snow, Backlight Silhouette, Candlelight, Stage Lighting, Museum
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Not supported
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses). M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Distortion,Lateral Chromatic Aberration,Vignetting,Diffraction
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX X, 11 focus points (9 cross type))
AF Points
Autofocus sensitivity
-3 EV
Front/back focus correction
Yes (adjustments for up to 20 lenses)
Autofocus with SDM
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Dust removal
Yes, Sensor Shake DR
Dust alert
Memory card type
SD, SDHC, SDXC (UHS-I Compatible)
Size (W x H x D)
125.5 x 93 x 74 mm (4.9 x 3.7 x 2.9 in.)
628 g (688 g with battery and SD card)
File format
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual, Wireless*, Contrast control*
* Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Flash exposure comp
-2 to 1 EV
Video
Resolution / Framerates
1920x1080 (16:9 Full HD) at 60i, 50i, 30p, 25p and 24p,
1280x720 (16:9) at 60p, 50p
MPEG4 AVC/H.264
Interval Movie (4K, Full HD, HD)
Star Stream
Connectivity
USB 2.0, HDMI out, Stereo mic, Wi-Fi
Latest Firmware
Link to Download Page
Astrotracer compatible, Electronic Aperture Control, Electronic Level, Embed copyright information in EXIF, High ISO NR can be customized for each major ISO value, Image plane indicator, In-camera RAW development, Moiré suppression via SR mechanism, Moiré suppression bracketing, Multilayer digital filters, Night vision LCD display, Save last JPG as RAW, The RAW button is customizable and can perform a variety of functions, hereunder exposure bracketing
Special Editions

LCD: 3.0", articulating
In Production: Buy the Pentax K-70
Type: Upper entry-level DSLR
Weather Sealed: Yes
In-Depth Review: Read our Pentax K-70 in-depth review!

Add Review of Pentax K-70 Buy the Pentax K-70
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-1 of 1

Registered: November, 2015

Review Date: January 21, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K-70: Yes | Price: $670.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: handling, lightweight, tilt-screen, superb high-ISO performance, very good dynamic range
Cons: images a bit washed-out in default setting, no default option for wireless flash, no dedicated metering button
Years Owned: 2 months    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

This camera has been around for quite sometime now but I was a bit surprised that there are no reviews up for it yet. So I thought I should get the ball rolling. First, let me tell you how I ended up with this camera. My first venture into the Pentax world was the K-50. I was frankly overwhelmed by its image quality and the bang for buck I could get out of it. However, I felt that the autofocus could have been slightly better. After using my K-50 for 7-8 months, I found a great deal on Amazon on the K-3. I bit the bullet and took the deal while simultaneously selling off my K-50. I kept my K-3 for quite sometime and I was loving every bit of it (although the high-ISO noise was something to be desired). However, was usually using a flash for lowlight indoor shooting, so that did not bother me so much. I kept my K-3 for a long time and amassed a good line of lenses over time to go with it. I was a happy photographer. But then Pentax announced the K-1. So much feature for EUR 2000? I could not resist. So I sold off my K-3 and quite a few of my "cropped sensor" lenses and bought the K-1. Was I a happy photographer? Yes and no. Frankly, the image quality provided by the K-1 is incomparable. Probably the best in its class. But hey, what's wrong with my old lenses? Those lenses that used to be perfectly decent on my K-3 weren't as decent anymore? I figured the super-high resolution of the K-1 demands a lot from it lenses. And good quality lenses do not come cheap. Could I invest more in higher quality lenses? No. And the second and more pressing con for me was the sheer bulk of the K-1. My camera bag which could easily fit the camera, a couple of lenses and a flash now was struggling to fit the K-1 and the flash. Not to mention the weight I was carrying all the time. Also as I travel a lot and mostly on foot, carrying such a heavy material did have its downsides. I found I was mostly leaving my K-1 at home (when I went out on small trips) and thus missed many nice images. In the meanwhile I faced a financial crunch and so decided to sell off my K-1.

What should I get as replacement? A K-3, or the K-50 once more? But just then Pentax came up with this K-70. It was lightweight, small (like the K-50), had a 24MP sensor, pixel-shift, weather sealed, tilt-screen and everything I love about Pentax and in quite an affordable package. And so I finally settled for it. Am, I happy with my purchase? Yes. Will I recommend it? Yes.

Since this is supposed to be a review. Let me list out what I like and don't like about the K-70.

What I like:
1. Lightweight, compact easy to carry.
2. Tilt-screen not only helps to get that shot from the weird angle but also closes on itself to protect the screen from scratches.
3. Superb noise control at high ISOs. Is it better than the K-3? Yes, by almost a couple of stops. Is it comparable to the K-1? I would say yes but the K-1 definitely edges ahead by about a stop thanks to its full frame sensor.
4. Superb dynamic range.

What I don't like:
1. Images tend to be a bit washed out and lack contrast in the default. I went to the image settings, increased the clarity by a couple of points, the contrast by a couple and increased the sharpness by one point. The result was much better and crisper than the default setting. Note that the very same problem was reported by dpreview in their review.

2. No built-in support for wireless flash. I discovered this the hard way the other day when I wanted to click some portraits with my AF540 FZ off camera. Later I read up and realized that Pentax had silently done away with this feature since the K-S1. That means I need to buy an external trigger unit. But how I missed my K-3 at that moment!

3. No dedicated metering button and not even the option to configure one of the custom buttons! Who needs a dedicated button for wifi (which doesn't even work half of the times)?

4. AF is ok but not as good as the K-3. It hunts sometimes and I get around 95% keepers even in bright daylight. (Note however that my comments about its AF performance is purely for the limited lenses (20-40 Ltd, 40 Ltd, 70 Ltd), the 55 F1.4 and the 16-50 F2.8 SDM lenses. Heard that the AF is much better on the new 55-300 PLM and perhaps also the kit 18-135 DC. Haven't yet had the chance to tenses though)

Finally the million dollar question: Since both are similarly priced today and have similar specs, would I recommend it over the K3? If portability and light weight is your preference and you don't mind the polycarbonate body and the slightly slower AF and also if you shoot a lot in high ISO, then Yes. Otherwise, no.

Enough said, now time for a few pics:

This next picture goes on to show the amazing dynamic range this camera is capable of. I did not use a flash. I pulled out the foreground from absolute shadow in postprocessing. Yes, the noise control is superbly low.

Update 29/01/17:

I figured out a way to fire my AF540FGZ off-camera using the built-in pop up flash -- put the AF540 in SL2 dumb slave mode and then the pop-up flash will trigger it. Of course I don't get P-TTL and everything is manual but hey it's still something. And I like to control my speedlights manually anyway. Of course the pop-up flash will contribute to the exposure but that can be 'minimised' but setting the pop-up flash to 1/128. I don't mind that too much because the actual 'wireless' mode in the K-3 also does contribute to the exposure even if very slightly. So my con no. 2 is less harsh now!

However, while I was at it, I seemed to have opened another can of worms. The K-70 seems to overexpose like crazy when the on-camera flash is in bounce in every mode (except of course M). This problem has been raised by others too:

Apparently this was a well documented problem with the K-5:

Pentax claimed to have corrected it eventually with the K-3. And surely enough, I never had any problem with exposure when bouncing my AF540 in P-TTL. The story is totally different with the K-70. Seems like it is a software issue but I am amazed at how it can resurface even when Pentax fixed it for the K-3. This is a serious bug and I hope they come up with a firmware upgrade soon to address it. But does it show poor quality control and testing on Pentax's part? Disappointed.
Add Review of Pentax K-70 Buy the Pentax K-70

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!