Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Noise
 7.0
8 362,105 Tue October 30, 2012

Pentax K-m/K2000

The 10 MP K-m was introduced in 2009. In some markets it was called the K2000. It replaced the 6 MP K100D series of entry level cameras.

See how the K-m/K2000 fares amongst its siblings: Pentax K-x, K-m/K2000 and K200D compared

Camera Manuals:

Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night-scene Portrait, Flash Off
Maximum FPS
3.5
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 3.5 fps up to 5 frames (JPG), 4 frames (RAW) Lo: 1.1 fps until card is full (JPG), up to 7 frames (RAW)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
HDR mode
Multiple exposures
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
10: Night Scene, Surf and Snow, Food, Sunset, Stage Lighting, Night Snap, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Not supported
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
None
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX, 5 focus points)
AF Points
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync*, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control* * Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Version 1.11
In-camera RAW development
Manual: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-m.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K-m/K2000
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-8 of 8

Review Date: October 30, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: $179.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: lightweight, fast focusing and shutter
Cons: Eats AA batteries and won't take CR-V3 batteries
Years Owned: <1    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 10    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

One of the most noticeable design features of this price leader camera is the lack of a top LCD display. Pentax eliminated the display and folded its functions into the rear color display to help keep the price down. While it makes very little difference in terms of functionality, I feel it negatively impacts performance in the area of battery consumption. This thing absolutely EATS AA batteries, especially alkalines and inexpensive rechargeables. The only ones that seem to last any time at all are expensive lithium cells and Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. Another unfortunate design feature related to batteries is that it won't accept the CR-V3 batteries that I prefer in my Samsung GX-1L (Pentax *ist-DL2 clone).

Battery issues aside, it's a pretty nice camera and well worth what I paid for it. It feels a little smaller in my hands than my GX-1L, but not to the point of feeling cramped or uncomfortable. Focusing is much quicker than my GX-1L, using the same lenses, and there is no noticeable shutter lag. I have read quite a bit of criticism of this camera for having excessive noise and harsh looking images, but I haven't experienced that; in fact, I see very little difference in the image quality of the K2000 and my GX-1L and am quite pleased with both.

UPDATE: After four and a half years, the time has come to say goodbye to this camera. It still works great and has a shutter count of only 765 (seriously) but I've acquired a couple of nicer Pentax bodies and I'm ready to let somebody else enjoy it.

Location: Linlithgow, Scotland
Review Date: June 21, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small size, huge range of lenses, uses AA batteries
Cons: Kit lenses are a bit flimsy
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

This was my first DSLR, purchased when I got a bonus from work. I was drawn to Pentax as I already had an ME Super 35mm SLR, and Pentax have the best lens compatibility of all DSLRs. You can use any K-mount lens and get Aperture Priority metering out of it at the very least, with most lenses allowing full metering. Other manufacturers don't even come close to this. I also like the size, shape and light weight of this camera, and the use of AA batteries - if they run out while I'm out shooting, I can just go into a shop and buy some new ones. Using lithium batteries, I get months of use out of one set.

As someone else has mentioned, I was concerned that this camera would limit my creativity once I'd got used to it - it was the most basic Pentax DSLR at the time. However, three years on, I'm still discovering new things it can do, and I'm really, really impressed. I take it everywhere, and it copes admirably with anything I care to throw at it, producing lovely colourful images in a whole range of situations.

It's a little more limited than some Pentax models - it's not weather-sealed and some people are critical of the flash and focussing systems - but it's kept me really happy and I'll carry on using it until it wears out! A really lovely camera.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX

Review Date: September 22, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros:
Cons:
Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 7    Features: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 7    Noise: 4

I'm a Photography major in College, and I've tried everything with this camera from Portraits, to Landscapes, outings, and even Astrophotography. As a light weight camera to take places and learn the beginnings of DSLR Photography, the K2000 more than excels. It has more color depth than many cameras, and fits well in your hand.

Where K2000 seems to fall however, is in the sensetivity of it's sensor. Though images are very sharp around ISO 100 and 200, distortion begins to show at ISO 400, and around ISO 600 and greater, image clarity drops off significantly. This makes K2000 poor for Astrophotography, as I discovered one evening. It is simply not sensetive enough.

On the other hand, in daytime it's color depth and sharpness at lower ISO's make it almost ideal for landscapes, scenic shots, macros, portaits, and other uses. I highly suggest this camera to others, though I'm personally hoping for a K5 for next semester.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Baltimore

Review Date: December 25, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: $413.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Lightweight and Value
Cons: Noise at ISO over 640

Pros Lightweight and Value

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Great all around dSLR

Camera Review
I hadn't used an SLR since college days but when I spied the price of this one, I jumped on it, at $413 new including kit lens, it was a no brainer!!!

In the 18 months, I have gotten to realize a few of the cameras weaknesses, mainly too much noise at higher ISO's, I've not even attempted to shot anything over 800 ISO. The highest acceptable ISO I've found is around 640. With that said, this usually didn't stop me from taking handheld lowlight photos. I found the in Body Image Stabilization helped tremendously in lowlight circumstances and I could usually pull it off.

The only other thing that I did not really care for is the "too compact" a size, it would be perfect for me balance wise if a battery grip were available. Instead, I found using a (cheap quick release type) tripod head mounted on the camera sufficient in allowing me to feel a bit better holding and balancing the camera. Without it, this camera is really small.

One last small gripe is the focusing screen, I use manual focus lenses, so a brighter viewfinder would have been appreciated. Even having the option to change the screen to a split prism type would be nice.

These things, High ISO noise, no battery grip option and viewfinder (when using manual lenses) are really minor considering what you get in return.
  • Being able to use every pentax k or m42 mount lens is just out of this world.
  • The option to either use DNG or PEF Raw is so way ahead of it's competition.
  • The built in flash is good to very good, quick to focus and jpeg out of camera are well done!
  • The LCD menu makes sense and easy to navigate
  • Metering to date seems right on the money and very consistent along with white balance.
  • I shoot with a lot of manual and manual zoom/tele lenses, I use spot focusing and usually with spot metering. So lack of focusing indicators was never an issue.
I've found if you know the nuances your camera and you understand the dynamics of light and photography, this camera can do it all... after that all you have to worry about is composition

I rated the k2000 an 8, I'm leaving room for my next Pentax!

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Md

Review Date: November 16, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: $540.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, Quick Operations, Nice IQ
Cons: High ISO Noise, No Illuminated Focus Indicator
Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 10    Features: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

Pros Small, Quick Operations, Nice IQ
Cons High ISO Noise, No Illuminated Focus Indicator
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) 540
Years Owned 1

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
10 MP sensor, shake reduction, near flawless auto white balance, high quality build, 3.5 fps, quick auto focus, ISO priority, small and light, AA batteries

Camera Review
As an enthusiast, I find this is a very capable camera for it's position and price. Being my first DSLR, I don't have much experience with other equipment. I have shot with pro-level Canon bodies and lenses (big and heavy). My kit came with the DAL 18-55mm and AF 200 flash. Later, I picked up a couple of inexpensive manual primes - M 50mm 1.7 and 200mm F4 and got very nice shots. Later, I added the DA 18-55mm II, FA 50 1.7, and DA 55-300mm and got even better shots. My goal was to have the ability to shoot almost any event. I'm about there and haven't spent a lot of money. Over the past year, I've covered weddings, family events, car shows, sports, festivals, and done professional quality model portraits.

There is still a lot to learn and this is a great tool. But to get great shots you need great glass. Here are some sample shots taken with the auto lenses:

Drew.jpg - Windows Live

Warning: this body does not meter well with manual lenses. For old glass, you will want to shoot manual and use the preview button; it will slow you down. I also have my body set to center weight metering and spot focus since you can't see the auto focus points. Some shots have been missed due to this.

At this point, I have no need to upgrade the body; I work around it's few limitations. Next year, I plan to buy either a K20D or K7 for another setup to reduce lens changes. I could also use the increased image resolution for large prints - 20 x 30 and higher.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul

Review Date: July 13, 2009 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

The Pentax K-M/K2000 is my very first DSLR camera that I have bought. It is called the K2000 in the US and the K-M in different places of the world.

At first I was worried about limitations and was afraid that the K-M/K2000 would limit my learning ability because it is the most basic DSLR model from Pentax. I soon found out that just because the K2000 is Pentax's most basic DSLR does not mean that the camera itself is basic. The sensor is very advanced and it is the same one used in the more expensive K200D. I was surprised by the amount of things I had to learn from jumping to a DSLR from point-and-shoot, even with the entry-level DSLR from Pentax. The K2000's easy to navigate and use interface is helpful for a newbie like me. I was considering about the K20D and K200D but ultimately decided on the K-M/K2000 to save money as well as it being my first DSLR. Sure the K20D might pack more power but the K-M/K2000 still works like any other DSLR and still requires the same knowledge and technique to work like the K20D.

After playing with my new toy for quite awhile, I realized that there is much more to learn than just the camera itself and any DSLR limits itself based on how you limit your learning. Every DSLR works the same as stated, you'll have to learn F-stops, shutter speed, and ISO. The only true limitation is in the camera body from having less features, but those features have nothing to do with YOU and your knowledge on how to expose and compose the image you want. Every DSLR has the capability to produce a beautiful picture based on your knowledge and your technique. The picture quality also depends heavily on the lenses you use, so it's wise to spend less on a body and invest more on a lens if you're on a budget or if this is your first DSLR. After all, the Pentax K2000 will fit any K-mount lenses. It will fit the same lenses the K20D and K200D will.

The Pentax K-M/K2000 is the lightest Pentax DSLR camera and is non noticeably smaller than the Nikon D40. I was questioning it's size at first because I heard that this is a tiny camera and is smallest in the Pentax line-up. It is small but it's not "tiny", it will fit in my hands fine and I have long fingers. The camera is the lightest from Pentax and is one of the lightest DSLRs out there, but it is slightly heavier than the Rebel XS and the Nikon D60. The body of the K-M/K2000 feels very sturdy. The first time I held this camera I first noticed the quality of this DSLR, it is strong and well made.

The picture quality of the camera is good for a entry-level DSLR, the only problem is the noise levels at higher ISO settings, I never use 3200 because of the noise it produces at that ISO. I have my noise reduction set to weak and shoot only in RAW DNG. I try not to go over 800 ISO but sometimes I will have to go to 1600 ISO to keep the shutter speeds higher at night. 1600 ISO is still acceptable for this camera but I question if they should even add 3200 in the first place.

The kit lens that came with this camera is the Pentax SMC DA L 18-55mm AL. L after AD stands for light because it is light due to the plastic mount. The Pentax K-M/K2000 is the only Pentax DSLR at the moment to come with these "light" kit lenses. Yes it is plastic, but it is better than the original more expensive Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm AL that uses a metal mount. It's better because it uses the same optics as the SMC DA 18-55mm AL II, so it will produce the same image quality as the AL II but without the metal mount. The kit lens also does not come with the lens hood so you would need to buy it if you want some extra glare blocking.

The camera packs a lot of options and has a lot of built-in features so you can post process the image in it, but I never use this so I can't really review it. I use Adobe Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS3 to process my pictures. The auto white balance on this camera works flawlessly and there is no need to adjust them, I just shoot in auto white balance mode for all of my pictures. The auto focus of this camera works fast, faster than the K20D and K200D which is a improvement. The auto focusing in low-light is also improved on this Pentax. The K-M/K2000 has a faster continuous shooting than the K200D, it fires at 3.5 compared to 2.8 in the K200D. Although there is some trade-offs such as 5 auto focus points and non-weather sealed body. The DA WR (weather-sealed) lenses from Pentax are expensive so I would buy the regular DA lenses instead. There's no point of a weather-sealed body if your lenses aren't weather-sealed with it. There is no need for more auto focus points because I found out the best is set to single point center-weighted. Lastly the K2000 has a in-body built in anti-shake so there won't be any need to buy a lens with a image stabilization. Although lenses with image stabilization will work better than the body's anti-shake, it's still good for using older lenses that do not have image stabilization.

Location: NJ, USA

Review Date: June 8, 2009 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

I've had the Pentax K2000 for 4 days now, after 17 months with the K100D. I bought the K2000 kit from Beach Camera (via Amazon) for $539, free shipping. This kit contains the 18-55 & 50-200 lenses, but not the AF200 flash.

A few thoughts on the camera:

- despite a weight difference of only a couple ounces, the K2000 feels noticeably lighter in my hand than the K100D.

- I miss the top panel LCD.

- I miss the red focus point indicator in the VF.

- AF is noticeably faster than the K100D. Not only that, but all of the camera's operation feel more spry.

- focus in dim light is much quicker.

- the shutter is a bit quieter and "smoother" sounding.

- having ISO & WB buttons on the K2000 body is faster and more convenient than nested in menus, as is the case with the K100D.

- jpeg quality is too compressed. Things like hair detail get a bit smeared, moreso than the K100D.

A few thoughts on the DA L 18-55 and DA L 50-200 lenses:

- neither lens comes with a hood. I bought the appropriate hoods on fleabay for a total of ~ $20/shipped.

- the 18-55 has a little falloff of sharpness wide open at 18mm & 55mm. Edge sharpness is better than my old 18-55, and vignetting is less severe, also.

- the 18-55 has only slight corner softening @ f8.

- the 50-200 exposes about 1/3 stop brighter than the 18-55.

- the edge sharpness properties of the 50-200 are very similar to the 18-55, although the left edge is softer wide open.

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Newbury, Ontario

Review Date: June 3, 2009 I can recommend the Pentax K-m/K2000: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

I just bought my K-m about 4 weeks ago. I liked it's simple design set-up. It reminds of my old ME-Super, at least in terms of weight and feel. I had the auto winder on my old ME-Super.

The set-up of the controls work well for me. I like the lack of LCD panal on the top of the camera. I am finding the camera works well. I have some nice images that look good.

Lawn Statue on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Stratford City Hall on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Since I am a long time user of Pentax cameras, I have some older M and F series lenses from my film based Pentax cameras. After reading the manual, I went into cameras menu to set the camera up for using older aperture based lenses. I also have a Tokina F-8 500mm mirror lens. I just love this lens. It works great on the K-m. Here are some sample images using this lens on the K-m.

Angel on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Downtown Glencoe, Ontario. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pentax did a great job on this camera. I always have liked the entry level cameras models. I just like how it gots you back the the basics of picture taking.

Steve Robson
Add Review of Pentax K-m/K2000

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!