Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Image Quality
Noise
108 865,362 Fri September 25, 2015

Pentax K-x

The Pentax K-x is an excellent entry-level DSLR which in 2009 revolutionized the market for beginner cameras.  With a kit price of below $700, the K-x offered amazing performance at an extremely affordable price.  Its highlights include a 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with excellent low-light performance, Pentax's shake-reduction and dust removal systems, full-auto "green" mode, a use-friendly menu, and a very large LCD screen. The K-x was discontinued in 2011 being replaced by the K-r.

Find on eBay

Imaging
Exposure Modes
Auto Picture, Scene, P, Sv, Av, Tv, M, B
Program Modes
Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night-scene Portrait, Flash Off. In live view also: Blue Sky, Sunset
Maximum FPS
4.7
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 4.7 fps to 17 frames (JPG), 5 frames (RAW) Lo: 2 fps until card is full (JPG), up to 11 frames (RAW)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
+/-3 EV
Auto bracketing
3 frames
Expanded dynamic range
Highlight (on, off), Shadow (high, medium, low, off)
Exposure lock
Multiple exposures
Yes, average and additive, 2 to 9 shots
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
10: Night Scene, Surf and Snow, Food, Sunset, Stage Lighting, Night Snap, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Not supported
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
Distortion,Lateral Chromatic Aberration
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX VIII, 11 focus points (9 cross type))
AF Points
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Memory card type
SD, SDHC (max. 32GB), SDXC via firmware update
Size (W x H x D)
122.5 x 91.5 x 67.5 mm
515 g (580 g with lithium batteries and SD card)
File format
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control* * Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Flash exposure comp
-2 to 1 EV
Video
Resolution / Framerates
1280x720 (16:9) at 24 fps,
640x416 (3:2) at 24 fps.
Composite video out (no HDMI out)
Exposure Modes
Movie mode restrictions
The aperture is fixed during recording
AF During Recording
Not Supported
Tethering
None
Connectivity
PC/AV terminal (USB 2 compatible)
Latest Firmware
Type: Intro-Level
Weather Sealed: No
Manual: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-x.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K-x
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 108

Location: Los Angeles metro
Review Date: October 17, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Decent IQ, Good color management
Cons: Poor low light ability
Years Owned: 4    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 7    Features: 7    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

This is my first dslr, after owning several Pentax 35mm cameras and lenses. I basically got into the pentax line because of its value-to-price ratio, and the K-x falls right in line with that. It is a great all-around still camera, but now after 3 years I'm yearning for something that has better low-light capability and more video features. Maybe the K-3???????

Registered: July, 2013
Review Date: October 16, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Easy to use, good picture quality
Cons: Autoexposure is very unreliable
Years Owned: 4 years    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 7    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 7    Features: 7    Value: 10    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

This is an excellent beginner friendly camera that is marred by a very temperamental auto-exposure system that is easily fooled in uneven lighting conditions resulting in unexposed images. Exposure compensation of between +0.3 to +1.3 is required for most shots for best results.

Otherwise for the price I paid and for the features available, this was by far the best value DSLR that was on the market at the time.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Panama
Review Date: October 16, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $460.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Has excellent features for the price. Works with the full Pentax lens line.
Cons: Manual focus is a bit difficult using the viewer.
Years Owned: 2.5    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

Bought it on a whim, as I had always wanted to own a DSLR.
It's a great beginners camera, and the fact that it uses K-mount lenses as allowed me to build a set of working lenses that will work perfectly with future Pentax models.
I've used it for portrait, street photography, travel and macro photography.
The only complain I have, is that using the viewer for manual focusing is difficult, and that it has no focus point indicators in the viewer.

Location: Arad
Review Date: October 16, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, user friendly, beginner proof
Cons: Depends how you use it, it is outperformed now by newer models
Years Owned: 3 1/2    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

The camera is great for newcomers to the brand and beginners with dslr.

Registered: September, 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, weight durability, AA battries
Cons: No focus indicators in OVF
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 6    Features: 7    Value: 8    Image Quality: 7    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

My first DSLR coming from a Pentax K1000. This was a very good camera for the manual to digital conversion, not difficult to use at all. Images much better after a while of adjusting to digital and all the different options. I normally use Spot focus, as there are no focus point indicators in the OVF, but as that was what I used in the K1000, it didn't bother me much. Taking all into account, a very good camera, still in use today

Registered: April, 2010
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: High ISO, Light, Video
Cons: No external mic imput
Years Owned: 4    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

I bought this camera when it was first issued and got the Red kit for about 600. I had previously owned the pentax K110d I did enjoy that camera but decided I needed an upgrade. So I ended up buying the K-x, It is a good camera with many great features. There are a few things that it could do better. But it gets the job done.

Registered: August, 2013
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy to learn
Cons: less MP
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 7    Value: 10    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

This is my first DSLR and I'm in love with Pentax already. Most of the time I face a question, why Pentax? I just smile and say: I like it. Dreaming of buying a New Pentax K-5ii when my study is over.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Kenjeran - Surabaya
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, beautiful body, good picture, and shutter sounds
Cons: 12 megapixel
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 8    New or Used: Used

It's red , beautiful on hands, eye catching to everyone arounds me when i take it out nice pics... N i just love to use it with the old manual lens.

Registered: July, 2012
Location: SeaTac, WA
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, Relatively small size, Ease of use, Unique color (white)
Years Owned: 2012-Presemt    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

This is my first DSLR, and it has been fantastic. I love having a white camera to stand out!

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to use, good low light capability, lots of lenses
Cons: flash is only fair
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

I bought this for my wife to use and since that time it has been in the hands of over a dozen of my friends who use all kinds of other cameras. They really liked seeing what I could do with it and then I said you can too so they tried it and loved it. My wife likes using it for snapshots because she can take snapshots of the little grandkids without a flash even in low light and have them turn out very good. I love it for many aspects of use including it's ability to fit any of my 35+ lenses, many of which are manual lenses. I like the ability to use AA batteries and in my case AA rechargeable ones. I have also used it extensively for indoor video with great results. I usually have a manual focus super wide lens on it for video which is an f4 lens but it still gives me great video with the ambient light in a room. I know of at least 3 more people who have bought one of the Pentax DSLR's due to trying out our K-x. What better recommendation can there be than "I have to get one of these!".

Registered: July, 2010
Location: Crossville, TN
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, easy to navigate menus, excellent image quality
Cons: None really

This was my first DSLR. I had purchased a Pentax ME a year or so before this purchase, and was familiar with the lenses and the superb quality of the Pentax brand. I bought the K-x after looking at several cameras, including Canon and Nikon, even after handling a few of them.

The K-x has more than enough features for a DSLR beginner to absorb. I have been working with mine for three years now and I'm finally feeling ready to move up to a more advanced body. I would definitely recommend the K-x for anyone considering tackling a digital SLR camera!

Here are a few samples:

Old Iron by Jamfke, on Flickr

A hand-held macro shot:

IMGP6701a by Jamfke, on Flickr

Nyah Nyah by Jamfke, on Flickr

IMGP8585a by Jamfke, on Flickr

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Essonne
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AA batteries, compact, price, rubust, high ISO
Cons: No focus point illuminator, not enough buttons, shutter noise
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

This is my first DSLR, so I can't compare it to other cameras.
I can only say that I don't regret buying it, after a few months comparing brands.
What made me choose Pentax : build quality, in-camera shake reduction, AA battery, features vs price. I must admit that not following "ordinary people"who buy Canon/Nikon gears is pleasant too.

Location: Botosani
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: light, use AA's, green button, compatible with M42 via adapter, decent build quality, lots of features for its class
Cons: no visible points in viewfinder, AF points a little big, continuous AF not great
Years Owned: 2    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 8    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 6    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Great camera to start in DSLR world, light, best bang for buck at that time. Still great at second-hand prices available now.

Location: Doylestown, PA
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: handling, performance, price
Cons: age
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 7    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 7    Value: 9    Image Quality: 8    New or Used: Used

I bought my girlfriend a used K-x from a PentaxForums member a little over a year ago. I use it almost as much as she does, so I feel fully able to review the camera.

At the time I bought it for her, I owned a Canon Rebel T3. My first impression of the K-x was excellent. While it was clearly an older camera than my T3, it was more responsive, and easier to use. The kit lens was better (than the Canon kit lens), too.

Since those first days, I've used many other cameras, including some higher end models, and I can say that the K-x now is beginning to feel a bit long in the tooth. It's still a great camera, but it's getting old. Newer cameras have better noise at high ISO, are faster, more megapixels, etc.

The K-x has served us well, and I don't regret the purchase at all. It must have been a fantastic camera when it was brand new.

Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K-x: Yes | Price: $590.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: high isos management
Cons: low batterys performance, no high speed sync flash
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 5    Features: 7    Value: 10    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Add Review of Pentax K-x

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!