Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Image Quality
Noise
58 150,530 Tue October 25, 2016

Pentax K10D

The Pentax K10D was the first DSLR from Pentax to feature a sensor with a resolution higher than 6 megapixels.  It also launched a host of new innovative features which would later become standard on all Pentax bodies, such as Shake Reduction and Dust Removal.

It won the Camera Grand Prix Japan "Camera of the Year" award in 2007, and a special brown version with gold lettering was produced to commemorate this.

Camera Manuals:

Program Modes
Normal, Action, Depth of Field, MTF
Maximum FPS
Continuous Shooting
3 fps until card is full (JPG), 9 frames (RAW)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
None
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Supported (zoom only)
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Support for lenses with the KAF3 mount variant requires a firmware update. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
None
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX VIII, 11 focus points (9 cross type))
AF Points
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control* * Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash

Grand Prix

Weather Sealed: Yes
Manual: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k10d.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K10D
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 58

Review Date: October 25, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $74.55 | Rating: 9

Pros: Advanced features, solid, weather resistant construction
Cons: HEAVY!
Years Owned: 2 months    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

So I picked this camera up on eBay a couple of months ago for the bargain price of $74.55 with its original 18-55mm DA kit lens but no battery grip and no battery charger. It's in great condition and I'm still figuring out a lot of its features. This camera takes things to a whole new level from my Kx and my K2000 and I'm enjoying growing with it. I immediately picked up battery charger and a spare battery for it. I didn't initially think I'd bother with a battery grip but I found a third-party unit brand new for $20 with free shipping so I thought 'why not?'. I'm still trying to decide whether it was a good investment. While it's handy having access to both batteries' power at once, not to mention storage for a spare memory card and an auxiliary shutter button for shooting in portrait mode, it makes the camera very, very heavy. Fortunately, it's easy to remove when I need to lighten my load.

But how does it perform? So far, quite well, although the autofocus occasionally gets a little confused and focuses on nothing. This seems to happen more often in AF-S mode but I can switch to AF-C and everything works fine again. Of course, manual focus is also an option. I haven't had time to do much creative photography with this camera yet. So far, I've used it mainly for shooting items to sell on eBay. For that limited purpose, it is working great, although it's admittedly overkill. I feel like I got a whole lot of camera for what I spent and I am looking forward to challenging myself with it more in the near future.

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada

Review Date: March 23, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: CCD Image, Shake Reduction, Weatherproof, Lens Compatibility
Cons: Size/Weight, ISO Limit, Autofocus Speed
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: Used

I picked this camera up a while back for the CCD image sensor. I have used the *ist DS and the *ist DL2 for years (still do) and I love the color rendition of their sensors. But there are times when I want a bit more resolution. Short of going out and buying a 645D, this was about the best I could do with Pentax.

I have not been disappointed. I have been told that their should be no quality difference between the CMOS and CCD sensors, but my eyes see it differently. Maybe it was the algorithms that Pentax used but, whatever it is, it is certainly real. The image quality from this camera using RAW, and converting using the latest tools from Adobe, are magnificent. So far I have been using it primarily for macro work but I can easily see me expanding my use.

If you own and use Pentax digital SLR cameras this one will be easy to use. Controls are similarly placed and menu layout is almost identical. In essence, there really are no surprises. The camera can be used in RAW+jpeg if you like. It uses the DNG RAW format so the files are easily opened in most digital imaging programs. All lenses can be used, even those which use SDM or DC focusing motors in the lens. I use the new Pentax DA 18-135 zoom as my kit lens and it focuses it quickly, quietly and accurately.

My typical workflow with a digital SLR is different than my workflow with a film camera. With film I work almost exclusively in manual exposure modes, but with digital I usually use Program Mode with spot metering and exposure lock. Then I make my adjustments using the Exposure Compensation controls. With this camera the Exposure Lock button is very easy to locate and activate. Likewise, the Exposure Compensation button is equally simple to locate and press with my thumb while I manipulate the front control wheel. With an Exposure Compensation of plus or minus 3 stops this is a quick and easy way to adjust for lighting differences. If I need more than that I move to Manual Mode, which is also quick and easy to do.

Ergonomically the camera is easy to handle. My only real complaint in this area is the increased weight and size. For most people this probably doesn't mean a lot but I use the *ist series of Pentax digital cameras a lot, and I love their small size and minimal weight. First, I find it easier to reach certain controls on the *ist series cameras because the cameras are smaller to start with. Additionally the grip size and configuration is a bit different and I am just now coming to grips (pun alert) with that change. The weight is even a bigger change for me. I am no longer young and when I am hiking in the mountains taking macro shots of wild flowers the weight of my equipment is more important than it used to be. But, considering the quality of the image, and the increase in resolution, I will learn to work with the weight and size.

Another possible downside to this camera for some is the noise whenever you increase the ISO sensitivity above 400. This is actually less of an issue for me since I almost always use either a small tripod or a monopod. With these accessories I can shoot at the native ISO sensitivity even though my shutter speeds may be too long to handhold the camera. But, even with film, I rarely ever go over ISO 400. If I need more light I am not afraid of firing up some flash. Obviously there are places where flash is not welcome but if that is going to be a problem I usually bring a different camera.

Finally, I have read a few reviews here where people are concerned with the speed of the camera's autofocus. In comparison to other Pentax cameras from this era I really don't personally see what the problem is. No, the K10D is not as quick as a Pro level Nikon or Canon camera, but it isn't one of those cameras. I will say this, the K10D autofocus is very accurate so I rarely need to fine tune the focus. Low light is where the biggest problem occurs. In this situation I usually use manual focus. I have installed a Katzeye focus screen and I use manual and autofocus lenses interchangeably with relative ease. I have shot film using manual focus cameras for years so switching back and forth between auto and manual focus doesn't really bother me.

To be completely honest, I usually use film cameras, and there are actually very few digital cameras that excite me that much. I have used some nice digital equipment over the past few years and still own several of them. This is the first digital camera I have picked up that has excited me in quite awhile. The image quality of this sensor is exceptional and produces some stunning prints, at some very nice enlargement levels. It reminds me a lot of film and it takes very little post processing for me to get decent output.

I find it interesting that I can use a camera that many consider to be obsolete to produce digital prints that can easily compete head to head with some of the finest cameras out there. Don't misunderstand, this is no Nikon D800, nor is it a Sony A7R. But if you print at or below 16x20 you will find it very, very difficult to tell if you used one of those multi-thousand dollar cameras, or this nice little Pentax that cost less than $200. Attach a nice Pentax Limited prime, DA or FA, and you may just surprise yourself with the quality of your images.

And that my friends is the real story here. Stunning digital images at a terrific value. That is the entire reason that I have rated this 2006 digital camera as a 10, even though it is now 2014.

Location: Chicago,IL. U.S.A
Review Date: December 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy to use, old manual focus lenses pair up nicley.
Cons: No weather seal
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Easy to learn, great to use. My manual focus lenses mount easily with adapters , the old saying is "press the green button and shoot", that pretty mush does sum it up, the old lenses match up near flawless with this camera. I've used tons of the old M42 screw mount lenses and even mounted Nikon lenses without an adaptor. Pretty amazing little camera. I love it.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Amarillo
Review Date: December 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Dependable, sturdy, versatile, not difficult to learn
Cons: not so good with high ISOs
Years Owned: 4    Ergonomics: 6    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 5    Features: 7    Value: 8    Image Quality: 6    Noise: 5    New or Used: Used

Bought this gently used from my niece. It is a little more versatile than my k100D and the optional battery grip gives it more heft. I'm an avid amateur and this is more than enough camera for me, at least for now.

Registered: May, 2012
Review Date: December 10, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: colour rendition; simple to operate
Cons: slow AF, poor with higher sensitivities.
Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

Well, nowadays K10d seems to be outdated camera, but this mind is basically wrong- great colour rendition makes it fine landscape or portrait tool. On 10 Mpix many more lenses has sufficient IQ, files are smaller than these from modern bodies (but still bring enough data to croping or printing larger pictures).
Of course (almost) "lack" of AF and significant noise above 400 ASA must be accepted. In some conditions not so wide dynamic range might be annoying.
For me "grip" is horribly profiled (more flattened preferred), but I've unappropriate anatomy ;-) (tentacles and other stuff).

Registered: October, 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado

Review Date: November 16, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Ergonomics, Build, Quality Of Images
Cons: No TTL, Slow AF
Years Owned: 5    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 8    New or Used: Used

Overall, I'd have to say the 'Ten' is one of the finest pieces of photographic equipment I've ever owned. It is, quite simply, a joy to use and gets the job done with no fuss or drama.
The build, quality and ergonomics are superb and inspire confidence each time you use it. Mine is outfitted with a D-BG2 grip, KatzEye split prism screen and O-ME53 magnifying eyecup, since I use it primarily for Macro, legacy lenses and scenic work. It excels in those tasks.
There is no question that it's limited in other ways. 10.2 MP is hardly earthshaking by modern standards and the high ISO performance isn't great (max is 1600, but useable high is more like 800), no TTL, LV or video.
But in it's day, 2006-2007, it was the flagship model and the performance, features and innovations like SR, dust removal SDM support, 2 control wheels and top LCD reflect this. I even like the FN button, four of the most-used functions in one place. Others may prefer hard buttons for each function.
And the rendering! Oh, my, shooting in RAW with the CCD sensor produces images and colors that are practically unrivalled to this day. Seeing is believing, just ask any Ten owner. This applies to any lens I've ever tried, so it clearly is the camera making the difference.
Keeping the ISO low, staying within the limits of a 7-year old design and appreciating the many virtues of this advanced (again, for its time) camera results in a confidence in your chosen gear that's hard to match at any price. As an 'extra' body or special-use backup, it's perfect. Sturdy, reliable and a joy to own.

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Escalante, Ut

Review Date: November 7, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Dependable, easy to use.
Cons:
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 6    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

This was my first dslr when I switched from slide film to digital. I had resisted the change, but had to due to the high cost of purchasing and developing slide film. I purchased this k10d when it was first released, I have never had to have it serviced, it just works that well and has been that dependable. Only reason I will eventually upgrade is if I want more megapixels or if the camera eventually gives out.

Location: Tampere/Helsinki

Review Date: October 17, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Handling, size, low ISO IQ
Cons: High ISO IQ, autofocus so-so

The K10D is still one hell of a camera. With ISO ranging in the 100-200 territory it can take stunning pictures, and if used correctly the noise in 800 is still quite bearable. Anything above that and the CCD sensor seems to fall apart. You can still produce some neat B&W images though. The handling is great and the camera is beefy enough to get a good grip of. The top LCD is great, something I would never give up after getting used to it. Also what's nice is that the e-dials can be customized to each shooting mode. However it is done in the slightly tricky menu system as are a lot of other things.
Of course it's an old camera and can't quite keep up with the newer competition, but for me it's still a well working workhorse. However due to it being old there are certain hacks discovered for it (like the service mode). I'll eventually get a new(er) body, but I'll keep my K10D always as a backup since I think there's something on that CCD sensor that the CMOS can't quite duplicate.

Registered: May, 2013
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: just about everything
Cons: high iso performance (at the time it was fine)
Years Owned: 7    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

Although I have finally upgraded, I will always think fondly of this camera. It was with me for trips on three continents, countless life events and random excursions, and never once let me down. The pictures have always been great, and the performance was consistent. Just a wonderful machine.

Registered: August, 2007
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful quality and feeling of the body, Shake Reduction System In the body, Water proof, Wonderful UI, One of the best camera of that period (if not the best)
Cons: Low Pentax support software! They could give much more of this hardware. They prefered to give it from next model. I think that they could give a stronger OS (eg. the ability to focus adjustment etc)
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

It is one of the best cameras ever made by Pentax. The quality, the weight, the compatibility with all the lenses of the past, the present and the future in conjunction with the SR in the body makes this model still one of the best cameras in the passage of time.
I admire Pentax company and I am one of its best fans, but I would to things from this model:
1. A bit bigger size for the grips (like my Pentax Z1) for my big fingers (and nails, as I am a classical guitarist).
2. A Full Frame Sensor (which I am looking forward since then until today (October 2013) and so on)

Pentax K-10D is still one of my favorite Pentax cameras, which I still use it with great success and happiness. I wish that Pentax will not forget this model and some day give us an enhanced OS!

Registered: July, 2013
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Love this camera
Cons: N/A
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

Love my Pentax cameras

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Saguenay, Qc, Canada

Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $197.75 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pro controls, prism viewer
Cons: none to date
Years Owned: 0.12    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 8    New or Used: Used

I bought this camera last month after my K200D decided to quit. It it almost the same camera with more pro controls (more buttons), which makes it easier to set before taking a photo. I use manual lenses and believe in controlling the camera is important. I also liked the quality of the CCD images on the K200D, so this was a deciding point in favor of this model.
To date I am very satisfied with it.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: reliability
Cons: state-of-the-art features
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 9    New or Used: New

My K10D has been a reliable companion since 2006. I have taken thousands of photos in all sorts of weather, field, and lighting conditions. It has performed impeccably. If not for new technological innovations in current models, I'm sure I'd be perfectly content to continue using this tried-and-true instrument of work and art.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho

Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: $749.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ISO 100, reliable workhorse, 100 ISO, button layout, 100 ISO
Cons: More focus points would help (and smaller points too)
Years Owned: 7    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

The K10D was a landmark camera for Pentax, much like the K1000 was so many years ago.

The K10D is my workhorse camera. I had a second body as a backup, but sold it long ago because I never needed it. The layout of the buttons are very nice. You don't have to press and hold a button every time you want to select AF points like you do on some newer Pentax bodies. It's just an easy-to-use camera that has unbeatable ISO 100 CCD sensor pictures.

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Biloxi, USA
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K10D: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good Workhorse camera
Cons: Noise at high ISO
Years Owned: 5    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

I received this camera as a gift about 5 years ago. Even though it was used when I got it, it has been a valuable workhorse for me. Never had a prblem with it.
Add Review of Pentax K10D

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!