Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Digital Cameras » Pentax K-mount DSLRs

Noise
 7.3
64 158,584 Fri July 14, 2017

Pentax K200D

The 10 MP Pentax K200D became quite popular as a mid-range model between the K2000/K-m and the K20D due to it's provision for a battery grip, weather sealing, and affordable price.

Camera Manuals:

Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Action, Night-scene Portrait
Maximum FPS
2.8
Continuous Shooting
Hi: 2.8 fps up to 4 frames (JPG and RAW) Lo: 1.1 fps until card is full (JPG), up tp 4 frames (RAW)
Shutter Speeds (Auto)
Pixel mapping
Scene Modes
8: Night Scene, Surf and Snow, Food, Sunset, Kids, Pet, Candlelight, Museum
Restrictions
Exposure modes with M and K lenses are restricted to Av (with aperture always wide open) and M (with stop-down metering)
Mount
KAF2 (no aperture coupler)
Composition Adjustment
Stabilization
Yes (sensor-shift SR)
Power zoom
Not supported
Supported Lenses
All Pentax K-mount lenses except for lenses with the KAF4 mount variant. Manual focus only with K-, M-, and A-series lenses. Stop down metering only with K- and M-series lenses. M42, Pentax 645 and Pentax 6x7 lenses with the appropriate adapters (stop down metering and manual focus only).
Lens correction
None
Autofocus (viewfinder)
Yes (SAFOX VIII, 11 focus points (9 cross type))
AF Points
AF Points in viewfinder
Exchangeable screen
Depth of field preview
Digital preview
Yes (with image magnificaion)
Live View
Sync speed
1/180s
P-TTL flash
Flash functions
Auto discharge, On (leading curtain sync), Redeye reduction, Slow-speed sync, Trailing curtain sync*, High-speed sync*, Manual*, Wireless*, Contrast control* * Available when combined with external flash
TTL flash
Version 1.01
In-camera RAW development
Manual: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k200d.pdf

Add Review of Pentax K200D
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 64

Review Date: July 14, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $94.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: CCD sensor, weather sealed, nice feature set, good ergonomics
Cons: No front dial
Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 9    Features: 9    Value: 9    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 8    New or Used: New

I recently acquired this camera and although it's an older model, it still has a lot to offer. It offers most of the advanced features of my K10D in a package weighs almost half a pound less. Its user interface is somewhat simplified, compared to my K10D or GX-20, but not quite as dumbed down as my K-x, thus striking a good balance between the two. The camera is very comfortable in my hands, probably the most comfortable of any of my Pentax bodies. I also like that it uses AA batteries to keep things simple. Mine came to me with a DA 18-55mm AL II lens, both in their original boxes. I also snagged a BG3 battery grip for it, but as with the K10D and its grip, I feel the advantages it offers are somewhat overshadowed by the added bulk. Still, it's nice to have. The only real criticism I have of the camera is its lack of a front dial but hey, you can't have everything. All in all, this camera packs in a lot of good stuff and that makes it a keeper.

UPDATE: My review above was based on my initial impressions and the experience of having taken a handful of test shots when I first got it. Yesterday, I finally was able to truly put the camera through its paces shooting at a small outdoor music festival, mostly after dark and with only the stage lights for illumination. The camera performed quite well and its simplified user interface actually revealed itself to be an advantage as it is far more intuitive to make adjustments by feel than, say my K10D or GX-20. I have a feeling this camera will be seeing much more use in the future.

Review Date: July 21, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: No | Price: $1,000.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: weather sealing, ccd
Cons: af, high iso
Years Owned: 8    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 7    Image Quality: 7    Noise: 6    New or Used: New

good ccd sensor. bad high iso noise. bad low light af.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: BC
Review Date: May 16, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Weather sealing, takes AA batteries, Top LCD Screen
Cons: Heavy, Slow AF, User interface may not be easy to navigate
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 5    Autofocus: 5    Features: 7    Value: 9    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: Used

I'm primarily a Sony A mount user but from time to time I use my K200D. Prior to this I had owned a K100D as well.
I mainly use the pentax with legacy lenses so I can't comment on how it is with newer glass.

I feel that the AF on the K200D is off by a bit, but since I mainly use older lenses which are MF it isn't an issue.
I find that I can't get sharp images around ISO 800 and I'm not sure if it is just the camera (I bought it used) or maybe it is me but I do enjoy the grainy results of the photo. It brings me back to film days.
Honestly if you pixel peep it will just annoy you, other than that images printed and viewed on a monitor look great.

I do recommend this camera for those who want to try out a DSLR, those people coming from a P&S Camera

A few things that I do like about the K200D
1. Takes AA batteries
2. Use of older K mount lenses without any adapter
3. Weather sealing on it
4. Takes me back in time... grainy out-put reminds me of film
5. The useful top LCD (These days entry level camera skip this)
6. Colour output (something about CCD sensor)

Location: Madrid, Spain

Review Date: February 12, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, low ISO IQ, top LCD, battery grip, huge range of features
Cons: Inaccurate AF, no AF adjust, high ISO IQ
Years Owned: 5    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 7    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 6    New or Used: New

The K200D is the only DSLR I've ever used and I've been using it for five years now. It's produced many, many wonderful shots for me and I really love using it.

When I was choosing my first DSLR I read all the reviews of all the cameras within my price range and it became very clear that unless you already had a stack of lenses, you'd have to be mad to buy anything other than a Pentax. This camera cost less than the Canon 400D and is superior in every way. When I bought it, the only APS-C DSLR with superior dynamic range from it's sensor was the highly-praised Nikon D90.

Positive points:

Ergonomics are great, especially with the battery grip. The top LCD is extremely useful. The lack of these two features on Pentax's lower-range models since the K200D are the main reasons I have not yet up-graded.

I remember picking up a Pentax (I don't know if it was this or the K20D) in a shop and it felt wonderful in my hand. No other cameras were even close. The camera is extremely solidly built. All competitor's models, as well as newer Pentax models, around this price point are inferior, and this counts a lot for me. Weather resistance was extremely rare for a non-pro model when this came out.

The image quality at low ISOs (100-200) is amazing, and at 400 it's still very good. Above that it's not great and I end up converting to B&W a lot to avoid colour noise.

The viewfinder is quite good. I've swapped the standard screen for a Katzeye for using manual lenses, and it's a vast improvement.

The use of AA batteries is a mixed blessing. On one side they're much cheaper, easier to replace and carry spares when compared to LiIons, but I couldn't could on both hands the number of times I've had fully charged AAs (sometimes several sets) and yet the K200D simply refused to work with them. I chose the K200D largely because of it's use of AAs but came to regard it as more of a problem than a help. And yes, this applies even when using Eneloops, the highest quality rechargeables on the market.

Negative points:

The AF speed is not too bad, the problem is that it's not very accurate and misses a lot. This is the camera's major flaw, even more so that high-ISO image quality. There is also no AF micro-adjust for individual lenses, which is a criminal exclusion on any DSLR. There is a global setting that can be applied to all lenses, but you need to hack the camera to get to it (which I've done).

The noise above ISO 400 makes the camera tough to use at those settings. At 1600 you're almost obliged to convert to B&W to avoid colour noise. In many situations you can get around this by learning to use bounced flash, and I'm glad I've been forced to do so but that's not a solution for all situations.

I've taken one point off for the AF and high-ISO performance, but other than them, this camera is an absolute pleasure to hold and use, and produces wonderful images.

My Flickr album of photos taken with this camera can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/69424694@N06/albums/72157632365698058

Review Date: February 8, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very very sharp 100 ISO, excellent colors
Cons: higher ISO a few noisy
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: Used

for maco shootings my favorite inspite of not eliminating CA's like k-x or k-5

with single lenses excellent sharpnes at 100 iso.

good antishake with m42 lenses

additional AA-grip very usefull. If battery empty touch a switch and continue shooting.

Review Date: January 3, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very good camera for starters
Cons: Not so good in low light situation
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 9    Image Quality: 9    New or Used: New

This is a solid camera with all features you need to start learning photography. This is my first DSLR acquired in 2008 when it first came out. Later I found out that it was discontinued the same year, which means that I am one of the few using this camera now! I used it for fashion photography mostly and it's been the one which brought me appreciation of many....Take a look at my page. Most of the photos done before November 2013 have been done with the Pentax 200D alone. People appreciated my photography and I can't believe I did that with an entry level DSLR.....

Registered: October, 2013

Review Date: November 24, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: CCD, build quality
Cons: Controls, stiupid SD card slot cover
Years Owned: 1    Ergonomics: 7    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 7    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

I liked my first K200D so much I bought a second body. I like shooting outdoors and the build quality and WR mean I don't have to worry about the occasional knock or inhospitable conditions. This is one heavy camera (for an 'entry level' model) though and lugging two around plus lenses provides quite a work-out.

As I have mentioned in detail in another post, I like CCDs. I feel they reproduce subtle tones more accurately than CMOS, especially in low light - although the maximum 1600ISO is not so good. Detail from the modest 10MP sensor is excellent, especially with some cheap fast primes glued to the front.

I only ever shoot RAW so I'm not going to bother writing about the various filters and editing options. I generally use the same settings whatever the situation - centre weighted metering and AWB - and mostly use manual lenses so most of the options in the menus are irrelevant to me. I'll change ISO if the light is low but that's about it. I don't even know what all the buttons do, except they slow me down and distract me from taking photos. I like to keep it simple and as long as the IQ is good I leave well alone.

Not so good is the menu system which is distinctly old-hat, and I don't like the top LCD as I prefer to see all the information on one screen. I am not a huge fan of menus for ISO, WB, Drive and flash but as I never use flash and rarely change the other settings, it's no big deal. But what I hate most is the SD card cover which simply does not open wide enough, resulting in a real struggle to remove the card. It's a minor detail and one which my K-x doesn't suffer from, but one wonders what they were thinking when they designed it.

A word about image noise as other people have rated it low here. It does not possess great low-light sensitivity in the way my K-x does for example, but I don't see this as a problem. Low-light detail is better than the K-x, which just proves to me that the amount of processing needed to increase sensitivity is considerable and comes at a cost. There is noise at ISO1600 but it is not unpleasant noise - I quite like the graininess, which reminds me of old Ilford 400 B&W film. Don't moan about the noise, be creative with it.

If you're a Pentax user you'll know why Pentax is best, but for anyone else reading this - just look at the lens reviews. Look how many lenses there are, the quality and the price. You don't need another reason to buy Pentax.

Sample images

Registered: September, 2008
Location: Tallinn
Review Date: November 23, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: WR, CCD colors, accurate autofocus with small aperture lenses
Cons: slow writing speed, slow autofocus, inaccurate autofocus with large aperture lenses
Years Owned: 5    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 9    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: New

Bought K200 + DA 18-55 + DA 55-300 kit in '08 and I fell in love with it. Colors of CCD sensor are amazing; WR is handy - body coupled with DA* 16-50 withstanded a sea storm; autofocus is slow, but accurate. High ISO noise is not a problem for me, I'm sucker for grain. With ISO sensitivity up to 6400 and F2.8 luminance flux cross sensor, this would be perfect camera.

Location: Dublin
Review Date: November 20, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: excellent ergonomics
Cons: N/A
Years Owned: 3    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 10    Features: 7    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 8    New or Used: Used

Excellent camera at the beginning of the adventure with photography

Registered: August, 2008
Location: Maine USA
Review Date: October 20, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Clear shots,solidly built
Years Owned: 5    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 9    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

I love this camera , I also own the k100d Pentax makes a strong durable camera, easy to use.

Registered: July, 2012
Review Date: October 15, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, well built camera with easy to navigate menus
Cons: Pentax cameras have few cons for the price you pay for them...
Years Owned: 1 1/2    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 10    Autofocus: 10    Features: 10    Value: 10    Image Quality: 10    Noise: 10    New or Used: Used

I moved up from the K110D and there is a big difference in image quality and overall is just an awesome camera for the money!

Registered: October, 2011
Location: Toronto
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: solid build,
Cons: bad at higher isos
Years Owned: 3 Years    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 8    Features: 8    Value: 8    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: Used

First camera when I just started getting into photography.
Likes
-Very well built, solid and weather resistant.
-comfortable to hold
-uses AA batteries. Very easy to find
-top screen

Dislikes
-Loud shutter (I like to be hidden when taking photos)
-grainy at high isos.

Overall good value for the cost.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Review Date: October 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $520.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent image quality; AA batteries; weather seal
Cons: lack of third party accessories
Years Owned: 6    Ergonomics: 8    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 8    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 10    Image Quality: 9    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

Pair it with a weather sealed lens, you are ready to go anywhere on the planet. From humid amazon jungle to arid african desert, to rainy tropics to frigid arctic. All couple hundreds shy of a grand. For a comparable set up in you-know-what brands you will have to take a home equity loan.

Location: Kristiansand S
Review Date: August 18, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: WR, Value, Quality
Cons: no live view
Years Owned: 5,5    Ergonomics: 9    Build Quality: 10    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 9    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

My first DSLR´s and at the time it was one of the best choices. (2008) Good picture quality, well build and WR. Easy to get used too. A good choice for a starter camera.

Registered: November, 2011
Review Date: April 13, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax K200D: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Suit larger hands; takes good photos; WR; top LCD screen; no live view
Cons: slow focus; single card slot;
Years Owned: 4    Ergonomics: 10    Build Quality: 9    User Interface: 9    Autofocus: 7    Features: 8    Value: 9    Image Quality: 8    Noise: 7    New or Used: New

8 might sound low but its not meant to be.

It takes great photos and remains a much loved back up and 'use when camera might get damaged' option as I now have the k5ii as special events camera.

In company with the ubiquitous 18-250 it rarely let me down, and with the 50-135 it performed very well.
Add Review of Pentax K200D

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!