Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Film Cameras » Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs
Pentax KX Review RSS Feed

22 163,851 Fri March 24, 2017

Pentax KX

The Pentax KX was one of the three original K-mount cameras introduced by Pentax as a replacement for the Spotmatic family of screw mount cameras.

The KX model was one step up from the KM with a more sensitive light meter, a wider ISO range, and mirror lock-up. It had a match-needle exposure readout so that the shutter speed set was indicated in the viewfinder. The aperture set on the lens was visible in the viewfinder through a small window.

The KX is the only Pentax where the wind lever must be pulled slightly out for the meter to work. This makes the camera unsuitable for left-eyed users. Fortunately Pentax didn't repeat this poor design on their later cameras.

KX
Battery grip/pack
Size (W x H x D)
143 x 91.5 x 52.5 mm

Add Review of Pentax KX
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 22

Registered: February, 2017
Review Date: March 24, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, handling and features

I bought my KX in October 2015 not long after acquiring a KM (which I have also reviewed). Everything said about the KX in other reviews posted here is true. Its a wonderful mechanical machine that is very well built with all the features you need to take good pictures with.
It is relatively big and heavy when compared to the MX, but not massively so - take a look at Canon Ftb s, Nikkormats or Minotla SRTs for big and heavy! It provides a good amount of space to grip the camera with and balances well with bigger lenses - I like to use the 55mm f1.8, 35-70mm A f4,Tamron SPii 90mm and Tokina 70-210 f4-5.6. My m series lenses (20mm, 35mm 40mm and 50mm f1.7) I prefer to use on the MX.
I think that the KX and the MX actually compliment each other. If I know what photo I am going to take I generally use the KX. If I'm just going for a walk and may take a few pictures or so of something I come across I use the MX because its smaller and lighter.
When compared to the KM however I am of 2 minds:-
I prefer the KM's wind on and simple viewfinder display, but don't like the fact that the meter stays on whenever there is sufficient light to power it. I like the facts that the KX has a shutter lock and MLU.
My particular model is in black with just a little brassing showing through. There is some light scratching to the base plate but no dents showing anywhere on the body. I've replaced the light seals myself as there were none, not even goo, and at some point I will need to do the mirror foam. Although everything seems to work perfectly at present I may treat it to a professional service for my own piece of mind sometime this year. Its a camera that's certainly worth it!

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Review Date: November 22, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: built like a tank, fast metering, DOF preview
Cons: Weight and size

This beautiful beast puts you in full control of the picture. The light meter instantly flicks to a specific shutter time and all you have to do is change the settings of the shutter or the aperture to match the colored needle in the viewfinder with the black one of the meter. Then forget about it.
Press a knob on the front of the camera and you get a perfect DOF preview.
It shares the attraction of the widely available K-mount lenses with the K1000-model and the later ME and MX's. Still I leave it at home too often and take my ME instead not because of the ME's auto exposure, but for its lighter weight, its bigger viewfinder, its smaller size and quiet shutter (making the camera less obtrusive - I like street photography).
I paid €70 for my black KX, including a smethless 1.7/50 PK lens and poor light seals. Both sides of the ground glass badly needed cleaning since the mirror cushion seal had desintegrated before migrating all over the place. Opening the top had a surprise for me. A peculiar black metal ring that sticks downward into the darkness of the camerabody and operates the light meter switch, escaped before I knew it. Somehow I got the little bugger back in its proper position, but don't ask me how.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Review Date: April 13, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, clockwork everything.
Cons: Not still in production!

My price above includes case, flash, K55 f/1.8 and cost of getting the light seals professionally replaced.
Build is just gorgeous. There's also no mistaking that you've taken a photo - the shutter makes a really sharp 'Schunk!' noise that can surprise people.
Not as large and heavy a camera as I had expected, it's just right.
If you like the size and weight of a K-3, this is about the same, but without the deep grip.
Full featured viewfinder is great and 'match needle' metering is really easy to use and responds near instantly to changes in light.
Focus can be slightly hard to judge, as the focus matte is a bit subtle when it 'pops' into focus. On the other hand, the view is more clear than with more textured focus mattes.
The manual is excellent too - very clear.
Here are links to scans of my manuals:

Registered: March, 2015

Review Date: March 8, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This camera is really a perfect 135 SLR.

All the controls are easily accessible. The shutter speed dial can be readily turned with just the index finger, unlike the dial on the MX.The viewfinder is bright and large, with plenty of eye relief for those who wear glasses; the entire field of view is easily visible. The aperture-setting window is a great touch, and makes all your key settings visible through the view finder.

The meter is accurate, even at low light levels. The match-needle system is extremely easy to use, and allows the user to easily set exposure compensation. Furthermore, the batteries are standard watch-batteries, which makes the KX relatively future proof (compared to Olympus OM-1 or Nikon Photomics, which require battery modifications to use in contemporary times).

Try one out if you get a chance; it's wonderful.

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Berlin
Review Date: September 12, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Just great for taking pictures.
Cons: The advance lever/lightmeter situation

I just love this camera. It feels great in the hand, solid and well balanced. It takes great pictures. Everything on it works so well. I love the depth of view preview button, the match needle exposure system, the judas window. The lightmeter is the most consistent and accurate of all the cameras I have used. Its a hard thing to quantify, but I just really trust this thing.

my ONLY gripe is the unusual system for activating the lightmeter by half-cocking the advance lever. It's annoying.

The K-series lenses I have used have also been fantastic. It seems for a few golden years Pentax really had something going before they started miniaturising everything to hell.

Registered: March, 2014
Review Date: April 4, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: solid, black & beautiful, mechanical shutter
Cons:

Got the camera together with K105mm 2.8 lens, they were bought by my mum on a second hand street market for under 10 euro... it is my first Pentax and I consider myself to be very lucky, since it indeed (see all the other reviews) is an excellent camera. I used some Nikkormats in the past (20 years ago) and the KX reminds me of them; very solid build quality.

I very much like the fact that it works without batteries, and that the batteries it uses are silveroxide types and not mercury types. No fuzz with adapters. The focussing screen (in my case) has a split-screen focus aid, which I also like. Switching on the lightmeter by pulling the advance lever a bit is marvelous! I never forget to turn it off that way. With my Olympus OM2n it happened more than once that I forgot to turn the switch to off, resulting in an empty battery after some time (often exactly at the moment you want to make photos again...).

Might have to change the light seals after a while but the camera is completely reliable and going strong!

Location: Capital Federal, Buenos Aires
Review Date: July 20, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Hi guys I need help with this wonderful piece of history. My grandpa gave me his old Pentax KX that looks brand new by the way :P

Im having problems with the film speed indicator and its pin. It used to spin and work well but sometimes it cames loose and spins ineffectually.

If the lightmetter is on and I change the film speed to a higher asa value, the lightmetter needle is supposed to go up, isn't it? PLEASE HELP becasue I don't know if it's working properly.

THANK YOU!!

Location: Queensland

Review Date: November 22, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The best, last, full-size pure manual Pentax camera
Cons: A removable screen would have been good

I have read the previous well done reviews so won't go over what has already been well stated about the mechanics. Rather I will talk about how one relates to the camera. When I bought my Pentax MX in 1976, I figured I had the ultimate Pentax. I still have that one along with two others, but fast forward 35 years, and I went on to become more acquainted with the original K series. What I had dismissed as 'practice cameras' until they made the MX, gave way to a new appreciation. I first came across the KM, and immediately thought of it as a beefed-up MX, wonderful. That set me going up one more step, the last pure manual step in the K series - the KX. (The K2 had left the pure manual world and and was in the land of the battery dependent).

Do I love the KX as much as my MX? Almost, but that is just the long term relationship coming through. The KX is fabulous, and only the fixed viewing screen is a subtraction. Here is the strange part. The K1000 which was a bare bones stripped down KM, had been dismissed by me as made for beginners. Now I began to appreciate it's solid simplicity as an asset, and that beginners were best suited to the automatics that did their thinking for them. The new appreciation for the K1000 only strengthened my love for the more sophisticated KX.
There you have it: K1000, KM, KX and K2, the K family in order of price and ability, but not quality. To me, the KX is the sweet spot, without more gizmos on it than most will need, but not so many that it will spend time in the shop getting them fixed.
Anway, I stuck a Rikenone 50mm lens on my KX and it was happy to snap me this "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow" (top photo) The lower two are with M50mm/f1.4

Registered: November, 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada

Review Date: February 29, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: All mechanical. Batteries only required for meter needle. Full view viewfinder including both shutter speed and aperture.
Cons: I recall none

When my original 1957 Asahi Pentax shutters got too worn, I sold it to a collector and bought a used KX with 55/1.8 lens and a mount adapter K to continue using my screw mount lenses until I could replace them with bayonet lenses. It worked hard for me, and it always worked. I traded it on an SF-1 when I was a stringer taking sports for a newspaper and discovered that my KX did not have the winder drive on the bottom. To this day, I regret not keeping it. I see that others say the viewfinder was dark, but coming from the old original, I did not find that. Perhaps the change from f/2.2 to f/1.8 compensated, but I never had troubles focusing with the camera. The screen was split prism. I frankly still prefer a viewfinder without focus aids, but with good grain, and my K10D is wearing an LL-60 screen for that reason.

I can recommend a KX to anyone who wants an excellent camera to shoot with film. For my stringer duties, I used print film, but I have a huge number of slides from my personal photography.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Review Date: November 9, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $108.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons: Don't make them anymore...shucks

I have owned a number of Pentax cameras: a Spotmatic, K1000, MX, K2, K20D and now the original KX. My new baby is up there with them all. I was lucky to snatch a beautiful, virtually pristine late production black body for a rediculous price of $65. It cost me $43 more for new light seals, which was the only thing "wrong" with it. All I can say it is a pleasure to use. If there is any criticism it would be the flash sync of only 1/60, but hey, I didn't buy it for flash work. My K20D is much better there. I do a lot of macro work, so the mirror lock-up was a must-have. It works really well. I suspect I'll be using this camera as long as there is film to put in it. I love the simplicity of the match needle metering, plus I can use all my old Pentax lenses...Hooray!

Registered: December, 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Review Date: May 27, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

My first SLR was a KX and my wife bought it for me secondhand as an engagement present 35 years ago. It eventually needed a good service about 5 years ago but other than that it is still going strong.

It is rugged workhorse. The MX was out but I chose this as it had the mirror lock up and to my mind a better finder display. I also find the MX to small. It has been round the world several times and never faltered.

I paid for my first LX by selling the photos I had taken with this. Since then, it has taken a slight back seat to the LX but it always the backup body. It used to be much cheaper secondhand than the K1000 but not anymore. They now seem to be keeping their value like the MX.

Kim

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Europe, Benelux, Zeeuwsch-Vlaanderen, Terneuzen

Review Date: September 27, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: All mechanical, pleasant matte screen
Cons: no connection for winder/motordrive (separate version, but rare) no interchangable screens

Pros All mechanical, pleasant matte screen
Cons no connection for winder/motordrive (separate version, but rare) no interchangable screens
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) ƒ 250 (dutch guilders)
Years Owned since 1994

Value, Features, Performance & Size
For me the Pentax KX is the best camera I ever had. It is uncomplicated (yet full-featured), easily operated and runs very smooth.
1) Fast SPD (silicon photo diode) light-meter, contrary to the slow CdS meter of most contemprary competitors (including K1000 and KM).
2) Depth-of-field-preview, Mirror-Lock-Up (and Self-timer)
3) great matte focussing-screen and viewfinder with full exposure info (although not as bright as more recent camera's)
4) pleasant shutter-sound, although not as silent as many cloth-curtain-shutters. Just run it at 1/15 and you hear the same sound as that of the legendary Spotmatic-shutter.

Camera Review

This camera gives full controll to the user. I can fully confirm what Stevopedia wrote above here. I prefer it well above the MX and LX just because those miss the smoothness that the KX has. Despite MX has a motor-drive-connection and is more compact, I do not like it as much. The needle is more convenient as the led's and dials on the MX are way too difficult to adjust.

For me the best 35mm SLR's Pentax ever made are:
1) KX (this one from 1975, not the digital version of 2009)
2) LX not as smooth as the KX, but definately second and with so much extra I still regret not buying one in 1993 (instead of Z-1).
3) SV the most Elegant of all Pentaxes

Other competitors in the top 10: Super-A, K2(dmd), Z-1(p), SFXn, MZ-S.

In fact, I like KX and LX more than the Z-1. Nowadays I use a K200d but still like to incidentally use my S1a and would do so with the KX if I hadn't made it's shutter lock. (I would also still use the LX, but the one I bought has a back that opens when a film is inside)

background
I started photographing with my father's Voïgtlander Vitoret D (viewfinder) and Agfa Colorflex (reflex, inherited from my grand-dad) which both had an uncoupled selenium-lightmeter. I preferred the Agfa because I could accurately focus (using split-image) instead of setting the lens to an estimated distance only. For my first camera I settled for a secondhand Ricoh KR-10 super. That is how I entered the K-mount world.

In the following years I had a couple of lenses including a Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 which I used for birding, mostly using a shoulder-mount. As I wear glasses, it is not possible to advance the film with the camera at the eye, e.g. while following a the moving subject. Therefore I purchased a winder for the Ricoh. Despite that I constantly hit the limitations of that camera:
the lack of a depth-of-field preview, lack of AE-lock and high sensitivity to bright skies being the most important. In 1993 I bought a Pentax Z-1 which would addres all these issue's.

The KX seemed to me the perfect addendum to the Z-1 and indeed, since then the Ricoh has hardly been used.

Registered: October, 2006
Location: NJ USA

Review Date: July 23, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A K mount pinnacle

Pros A K mount pinnacle
Cons none
Rating 9
Price 100
Years Owned 6

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Superb basic camera with some magic
One of the better Pentax viewfinders
Spotmatic like size and heft

Camera Review
The reviews above cover this camera rather well, so I'll just add some of my own observations.

The viewfinder - excellent information, really a joy to use. While not the largest or brightest Pentax ever, the KX excells in focusing: the image pops into focus better than with any other Pentax I've used.

I like the manual metering, very accurate, and I get to pick what to measure.

Finally, there's something intangible with this camera that has resulted in a bigger 'hit' ratio in my photography than with other cameras. I suppose it's the balance of all features and controls, the beautiful view finder, and the size and heft overall. Or maybe it's the Pentax pixie dust

The incredible Pentax KX (1976) by Nesster, on Flickr

Location: Vancouver, Canada
Review Date: June 16, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: $243.33 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use, build and durability.
Cons: None this camera has all the features you need and is built to last decades.

Pros Ease of use, build and durability.
Cons None this camera has all the features you need and is built to last decades.
Rating 10
Price Black - $325.00, Silver - $320.00 (1975 list price), Silver Split Screen - $85.00
Years Owned 35

Value, Features, Performance & Size
The KX was released in 1975 as part of the new “K” series line of film cameras & lenses, featuring the new bayonet mount. The KX was second inline to the K2.

The “K” series in my opinion is the height of Pentax’s quality, durability and ease of use. The KX is well built, large enough for my big hands and has all the features you need:

- TTL metering
- 1 to 1/1000 sec. shutter
- ASA range 8 to 6400
- Bayonet mount

Camera Review
I bought my first Pentax camera in late 1975 and picked a KX, along with a K55/1.8, K28/3.5 and a K135/3.5 for lenses. This KX has been in continuous for 35 years now and had no work done to it, until 2008. (It’s first CLA and the film take-up spool was replaced)

Not bad for a camera that has travelled around the world multiple times and taken pictures in all seven continents. The KX has also worked perfectly in all environments; the cold of Antarctica, the heat of North Africa, the humidity of Australia’s “Top End” and the dampness of Vancouver, Canada.

The KX is perfection in a fully manual film camera.

July 31 2016 Update
I took my 40+ year old KX out for its yearly shoot today and it was just like getting together with an old friend! Popped in some fresh batteries, loaded the film and turned on the meter, everything worked like it was brand new.

I have purchased many other Pentax film bodies over the past 10 years (Spotmatic, K1000/SE, KM, K2, K2DMD, ME, MX, LX, Super A/Super Program, P50, 6x7, 67 & 67II), but using the KX again makes me feel "happy", everything is just right with this body compared to my other cameras. The KX is by no means the "best" camera that I own, but it's still my favourite camera. All my other film bodies seem to have issues, lack of features or designs that somewhat annoy me, but there is nothing I would change on the KX after these 40+ years of use that would make me like it more. It's still number one in my books.

Registered: April, 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Review Date: May 7, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax KX: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros: Rigid, user friendly, ISO range, Fully mechanical, Timer and MLU at once.
Cons: Viewfinder could be brighter, shuttertimes, film lever has to be half cocked to use exposure meter.

Pros Rigid, user friendly, ISO range, Fully mechanical, Timer and MLU at once.
Cons Viewfinder could be brighter, shuttertimes, film lever has to be half cocked to use exposure meter.
Rating 9
Price 90€ with 55/1.8
Years Owned 3

I can recommend this camera
: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
One of the most value for money Pentax bodies in my opinion.

Camera Review
This camera has been my workhorse since I got it, and it has served me well. The only known fault my KX has is that the blue shutter indicator in the viewfinder stops working below around -18°C. Otherwise it has not had a single error since I got it.

What I like about it:
- Fully mechanical, never have to worry about batteries
- Feels solid and heavy, I see weight as a positive aspect as it makes it more stable
- Every dial and button is exactly where you would expect it to be, very easy handling
- ISO range from 8-6400 means no problem with having right ISO even when pushing a lot (or pulling for example efke 25, if you want to do that...)
- You can use self timer and mirror lock up at the same time (which is logical, but not the case with the LX for example), I use this a lot for low light from 1/15 -1sec
- Full information viewfinder with a match needle exposure meter, LOVE IT!, you instantly see what time you need (as opposed to the for example the MX where you only have over or under exposure indication.)

What could be better?:
- The viewfinder is not up with the MX and LX viewfinders when it comes to brightness and size, still not bad but it could be better
- Shuttertimes could well be extended to 4-1/2000 as the LX has
- The "half cocked film lever when using exposure meter" is a bit unnecessary, I could do well without it

Not really cons but this is what drags it down from the 10, this camera has no real cons in my opinion.

The dim viewfinder can be helped by using fast glass, and when doing to this camera really shines! Focus really clicks into the microprism, KX + 50/1.2 is a dream combination and I rarely miss focus even at 1.2. When using slower lenses (from f/3,5) on the other hand I would like to have a split screen also.
Add Review of Pentax KX

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!