Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Film Cameras » Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs
Pentax ME Super Review RSS Feed

33 161,131 Mon September 2, 2019

Pentax ME Super

The Pentax ME Super improved upon the original ME by introducing two push buttons on the top plate allowing the user to electronically dial in the desired shutter speed, giving him or her much more flexibility when shooting manually. This design was later carried over to the ME F (Pentax's first autofocus camera) and the Super A (which could set the aperture automatically and hence provided Tv and Program automation in addition to the Av and M exposure modes of the ME Super).

Other improvements over the ME was a faster top shutter speed of 1/2000 s and a warning light in the view finder when EV compensation was engaged.

Variants:
PENTAX ME Super: The original
PENTAX ME Super SE: A 'Special Edition' version was released in later years, featuring a diagonal split screen rather than a horizontal one

ME Super
Battery grip/pack
Size (W x H x D)
131.5 x 82.5 x 49.5 mm

Add Review of Pentax ME Super
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-33 of 33

Location: Waldorf, MD
Review Date: July 4, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax ME Super: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

The Pentax ME Super was the first serious camera I ever held, and was what my dad chose as the camera that would take my baby pictures.

I still have Dad's ME Super, and with nought but a cleaning, it has been functioning beautifully for the last nearly thirty years.

The ME super has almost everything you could want in an SLR...Aperture Priority AE or fully manual operation, compact and lightweght size, feels good in the hand, and dead-simple to use. It even has exposure compensation!

It meters accurately and handles beautifully, takes great flash photos, and has a mechanical 1/125x flash-sync so it can even be operated without batteries (I've done this many times with an ME super and it works superbly.)

The only thing I can't say I like about the ME super is its lack of aperture preview. That's one very tiny strike against what's otherwise an excellent SLR.

Location: Mohave Valley, AZ
Review Date: November 23, 2009 I can recommend the Pentax ME Super: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

What a long, strange journey it's been. I picked up the ME Super because my Dad had the ME (but it was stolen) and I was just starting to take photography seriously.

I originally had a Canon EOS 650, which I personally disliked using because of all the buttons and automation. It really just seemed like Canon was putting as much as possible between me and photography. Sure my exposures came out just fine, but I wasn't learning anything.

Then I picked up the ME Super on eBay. It's the perfect balance between automation and manual control. I simply adore shooting in Aperture priority mode for all of my normal shooting, but when I was learning the zone system the subject brightness range was easy to find thanks to the LED's in the viewfinder! What a brilliant design!

Many people say they don't like the push-buttons that set the shutter speed, but in situations where speed is of the essence, you just switch it into auto-mode and make sure you can stop the action! Brilliant!

Registered: May, 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Review Date: July 9, 2009 I can recommend the Pentax ME Super: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

The venerable ME Super... where do I begin?

I used two of these cameras for years, decades actually. Small, light weight, accurate light measuring, and bright viewfinder - what's not to like?

Well a couple of things maybe. Although top technology for the time, if you are hung up on auto focus and one button picture taking, stay away. On the other hand, if you want a cheap work horse that will give you beautiful prints and/or slides, provided you do your part, you can't miss with this camera.

Many accessories were also made for this camera, including a motorized winder with an optional 25 or 30 ft remote cord, data back (out of date unfortunately), right angle viewers, and I think at one time a high capacity motorized film back. And I'm not even going to start in on the cheap but great glass you can buy for this camera!

Given the low prices these are bringing on ebay, it's hard not to like this little jewel!
Add Review of Pentax ME Super

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!