Log in or register to remove ads.

Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Film Cameras » Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs
Pentax MX Review RSS Feed

65 286,429 Sat February 10, 2024

Pentax MX

The Pentax MX was introduced in 1976 as a pro-caliber all-manual workhorse SLR camera. It was very compact but yet had one of the largest and brightest viewfinders of any SLR. A 250 images film back was available as well as a 5 fps motor drive and a 2 fps winder and numerous other accessories.

The set shutter speed and aperture are visible in the view finder, the latter via a window that projects the aperture value from the aperture ring into the view finder.

Exposure is set by adjusting shutter speed or aperture until a green LED lights up in the viewfinder. This is an electronic version of the match needle metering of the Spotmatic and KM.

MX
Panorama format
Battery
2 x S76
Battery grip/pack
Yes, for the motor drive
Size (W x H x D)
136 x 82.5 x 49.5 mm

Add Review of Pentax MX
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 65

Registered: August, 2017
Location: Ronneburg
Review Date: February 10, 2024 Recommended | Price: $105.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, classic design, viewfinder, mechanical, 3 colour meter reading array
Cons: no mirror lock up

Pro: size, classic design, large and bright viewfinder, battery independent, good lightmeter, easy to handle
Cons: shutter dial diffult to move, not the smoothest film advance action

conclusion: the pure feeling of taking photos without unnecessary gadgets

Registered: December, 2023
Location: Murcia (Spain)
Review Date: December 31, 2023 Recommended | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, design, viewfinder, mechanical
Cons: no mirror lock up

The Pentax MX is a beautiful camera but it cannot be considered a professional camera.
Of course, you can take "professional" photos with this and any other camera, but this one doesn't meet a professional standard.
In its time it lacked professional quality lenses, especially bright wide angles; it has no mirror lockup or high shutter speeds.

Yes, it's true it has a lot of interchangeable focusing screens, date backs and other things but... who needs those things? I do not know anyone.
Apart from this, it is a well made, reliable camera and very suitable for advanced users and, of course, it can also be used for some professional work.

What I like: size, timeless design, large and bright viewfinder, battery-free operation, good lightmeter.

What I don't like: shutter dial stiff to move.
In the mirror box there is too much foam that is difficult to replace when it degrades.
The periscope to see the diaphragm is quite bad and almost useless.
It doesn't have a mirror lock up, but that doesn't matter to me because I don't use it for long exposures or landscapes.

Despite these shortcomings I really like the MX, it's pretty, small and very bearable, as well as pleasant to use. I like and use it quite a bit with an A 24mm f/2.8, a K 28mm f/3.5 and an A 50mm f/1.4.
For the Takumars, I prefer the Super A in which these lenses are much more comfortable to use, even simpler than in a Spotmatic.

If you like a manual, mechanical, small, very nice and pleasant to use camera, go for a working MX. It will not disappoint you.

Registered: December, 2021
Location: Ancona
Review Date: August 23, 2022 Recommended | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: practically perfect
Cons: nothing

I found this MX with the Pentax smc m 50mm f1.7 lens and paid everything for Euro 180

Registered: January, 2020
Location: Oregon

Review Date: March 4, 2022 Recommended | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, Lightweight, Sturdy, Simple, Superb Viewfinder

Oh, where to begin.

The MX was my first mechanical camera, and it's left quite an impression. It may be small, but it feels very rugged. The viewfinder is really second only to the LX, which has the best viewfinder of any 35mm camera I've ever used. It's giant and as clear as it gets, and the aperture readout window is miles better than the Nikon FE2 I had. I also love the SA-3/SA-23 focusing screens for fast lenses. Being fully manual, it just stays out of your way and lets you focus on photographing. I would call it analogous to a fine musical instrument.

One thing that I really had to get used to was how sensitive the shutter release button is on this camera. Coming from a Canon A1 and new digital Nikon bodies, this one felt like a hair-trigger. The meter on mine has unfortunately stopped working, but it doesn't really bother me. I just use a handheld meter or meter by eye. Otherwise, I can't say I have any real complaints.

Overall, if you can find one in good working condition, you can't really go wrong with an MX.

Registered: September, 2021
Review Date: October 8, 2021 Recommended | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: large viewfinder, smooth mechanical shutter action, compact body, simplicity, solid built, adapts M42 lenses perfectly, beautiful timeless design
Cons: not the smoothest film advance action, compact size not for everyone, thin body material, no interchangeable viewfinders, no TTL flash metering

Good
The viewfinder of MX is large, sharp, and flare-less; it's easy to acquire precise focus on this camera. The shutter action is super smooth and absolutely lag-free; which is impressive for a vintage camera, which I actually expected it to be sluggish and vague. For me, the performance was on par with modern professional full size SLRs like Canon 1DX. Like what Pentax advertised, there's very minimal, almost no shutter/mirror recoil (all hail horizontal cloth shutter); and it even performs better than most modern cameras that I have used. I really love the light meter, it's simple, clear, and ergonomic. I also appreciate the fully mechanical flash sync hot shoe. I use it with modern flashes and have no problems. Just that it has no TTL metering so it's fully manual. One thing that most people doesn't talk about was MX adapts M42 lenses perfectly (focus to infinity!) thanks to K-mount, and this provided vast lens choices for the MX. I use Super Takumar lenses on the MX. I opt them for the optical quality and also the cosmetic/mechanical quality (I really hate rubber/plastic focus rings).

I refer the Pentax MX as the Ferrari F40 of the cameras. I felt the design principle was similar; which is pure driving experience (in this case photography). The Pentax MX only gives you what's necessary. No fancy dials, no confusing buttons and levers, everything is simplified and focused purely for photography. It's one of the few cameras that I can completely forgot the existence of the camera itself when I'm using it. It's a camera that feels very "connected".

No fancy functions/dials means less parts, and less parts is beneficial for durability. I have no worries about the camera's durability as most reviews praised the mechanical durability and shutter accuracy of MX, and it's designed to withstand the punishment of five frames per second bursts. The maintenance/lubrication for Pentax MX was also very easy as most of the mechanical parts were located at the bottom plate.

Middle Ground
I favored the compact design, but it's definitely something that needs to get used to. A lot of people complained that the shutter speed dial was too stiff, but I'm fine with it as it prevents me to accidentally knock the dial out of its adjustment. The Pentax MX is a solidly built camera, but I felt the material that it used was too thin (probably to reduce weight), so it's quite common to see a Pentax MX have various dents and marks all around its prism/body. You definitely don't want to knock it against a hard surface.

Update: My MX have shutter accuracy issues at 1/1000, for some reason it's almost two stops faster than how it should be. It probably became one of the few MXs that have a 1/4000 shutter speed

Bad
The film advance action is very mediocre. Often times, it feels "sticky". Definitely not what I expected from a professional grade camera. This my only major complaint about the MX. Besides that, I also heard the accessories (motor drive etc) for MX were quite mediocrely made and scarce to find. You might want to take note on that. Also, the Pentax MX offers no interchangeable viewfinders and mirror lock up abilities.

Update: After shooting with it for some time the film advance became noticeably much smoother. Probably like what people said, vintage mechanical cameras will repair themselves!

I absolutely love the Pentax MX. In my opinion, it's one of the best professional, fully mechanical SLR ever made. What a lovely, underrated machine.

Registered: April, 2020
Location: Lincolnshire

Review Date: April 19, 2021 Recommended | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact size, rugged and robust construction

I have owned my Pentax Mx since 1979, it was my first Pentax SLR and has been a fathfull companion over the last 41 years, I had looked at the Olympus OM1 and Canon AE-1 as well but settled on the MX as it felt right. The compact size had been a bonus when traveling which it has over the years, USA, South Atlantic, Middle East, and around Europe. The mechanical construction means no worries about batteries running out, but they last for years anyway. Maintenance wise it's had a couple of CLAs in its life. Back in the 1980s it was used to cover motorsports coupled with a 2fps winder and I would have loved to have the motorised film rewinding that the LX has but that is the only improvement I would have to this fantastic little camera.

Registered: March, 2019

Review Date: February 24, 2021 Recommended | Price: $104.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, weight, selection of lenses available, looks, features
Cons: possibly reliability

When it rains it pours.
I have been on the hunt for an MX for over a year now. Each time I found one I was either too slow contacting the seller or I baulked at the high prices. Like the K1000, prices of MXs have skyrocketed here in Australia with sellers asking many hundreds of dollars for decent working examples with a 50mm lens attached.
Fast forward to this past month and I now have three MX bodies. The price listed above is the average of all three, two of which also came with lenses (a SMC Pentax 50 f2 and a SMC Pentax 55 f1.8).
My main focus of this review is to tell you that these cameras seem very easy to work on. If you have opened a lens before to clean fungus from elements you can definitely do simple repairs of these generally reliable cameras. The second MX body I purchased had the mirror in the up position and extremely slow shutter curtains. The third body I purchased refused to wind on. In both cases it was the 'slow shutter speed mechanism' that was to blame. I am lead to believe that this set of springs, cogs and levers controls speeds from bulb through to 1/60sec. In each case the mechanism was dirty and full of grime. The whole assembly can be taken out in one piece, given a good clean and then put straight back. This requires the removal of just two screws. So, if you fancy doing a little tinkering, don't discount Pentax MX bodies that have stuck mirrors, stuck film advance levers and slow curtains. It is very possible that the fix is an easy one. You could save yourself a good amount of money and end up with a lovely little camera that is a joy to hold, use and look at.

Registered: September, 2020
Location: Derbyshire

Review Date: October 18, 2020 Recommended | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: The 3 colour meter reading array and errrmmm..............
Cons: Slow in use, basic centre weighted meter, stiff shutter speed selectors

I've had two of these. The first just perplexed me and then I saw another all beaten up and tried again only to end up where I was before.

On paper there is a lot to like about the MX. The viewfinder is quite good, the judas window giving you the aperture read out; the disc carrying the shutter speed you have selected, the meter readings with it's simple colour red, amber and green read out is great (better than my FM2N if I'm honest). The magnification of the viewfinder is very helpful.

And yes - it's a well made, rather wide camera loved by many.

I simply however did not get on with it.

1) It was slow to take pictures with.

2) The centre weighted metering was very basic and could lead to under-exposure. For example you'd get a different reading if you went from
landscape to portrait mode. It reminded me of my Olympus OM-1 metering wise but the Olympus was a much faster camera to use.

3) The shutter speed knob is too stiff to be useful - in both samples that I had serviced at Pentax House in Harrow, London. Even the KX I now have has an easier to use shutter speed knob you can push with your finger when composing and metering. The FM2N's shutter speed knob is SO easy to use and that (and the KX) is what a manual camera should be like to use - you should not have to fight it.

In fact, when I got my first KX, I knew that the MX was just not what I was after at all. I never looked at one again. I know people love them and that's fair enough - but not for me folks.

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Review Date: September 25, 2020 Recommended | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Manual, mechanical
Cons: viewfinder could have been 100%

One thing most people don't realize about the MX is that the shutter is actually an integral part of the chassis. Unlike most other cameras where the shutter is a modular unit installed into the chassis. MX photos always seem to have a certain something, pixie dust if you will and I have always thought it was due to this construction. I have 2 of them and they are my go to full frame cameras.

Registered: July, 2019
Review Date: February 23, 2020 Recommended | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great build quality. Full mechanical operation. Small size pro SLR in its day. DOF. Great bright viewfinder. Interchangeable focus screens.
Cons: propr mirror lock up would be nice

I also own a ME Super. Since getting the MX the ME Super sits on the shelf. I also have a Nikon F3 which I absolutely love and the MX feels like its baby brother. Great solid construction packaged into a small body, all the controls are in a right place so that whilst its small its easy and intuitive to use. Its full mechanical so look after it and it will never die of circuitry issues. This camera is such a pleasure to use. Coupled with M glass and you have a small compact extremely well made and rugged camera that you can take anywhere. The viewfinder is really good, bright clear and easy to use for focusing and the arrangement to the shutter speed dial indicator and the red/amber/green meter lights is well placed and easy to use. Mine came with the motor winder which adds grip depth but I don't put it on the camera as I like winding the camera myself - its part of my I shoot film. Want speed? get a Mirrorless or DSLR

Registered: November, 2016
Review Date: July 23, 2019 Recommended | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, View Finder,
Cons: Shutter speed selector is tricky if you have large fingers

If you are looking for a small light weight Pentax slr this is the one for you. The view finder is without doubt a major plus especially if you find yourself in low light conditions or times when you need to be quick. I've graduated to the MX after owning a K1000 and KX and simple additions like the exposure confirmation lights (as opposed to the needle) make exposures that bit faster and more intuitive especially if you are used to focus confirmation in digital cameras, if you have a green light just focus and shoot. Success rate is much higher as a consequence of all the above.

I've walked around all day comfortably with this camera and lens strapped around my neck, try that with a K1 .

However, its strength is its weakness! It is small, if you have large hands the camera is tricky use, shutter speed selector is tricky especially as the ASA selector is incorporated into it. I've accidentally adjusted ASA without realizing it while changing shutter speed and I don't have particularly large hands!

The MX really is a joy to shoot with especially with a fast 50 or 35 lens. The MX is my 35mm film camera of choice, it travels with my Pentax 6x7 and Rolleiflex TLR

If you find one in good condition don't hesitate.

Registered: September, 2016
Review Date: May 12, 2019 Recommended | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

First off I own a few Pentax K1000, a K1000 SE, and K2, they are my most used cameras. Here is my observation: Regarding film camera image quality, truthfully the choice of which Pentax film camera used does not matter. Using the same lens on each film body capturing the same scene, same settings, produces the same exact results. Thus, all this about how good ones images appear with a specific camera are utterly meaningless.

Camera functions, ergonomics, and its feature-set are important to us users, however they have absolutely nothing to do with the image quality. Save your comments about “oh look at this image from this old Pentax XYZ film camera” for the lens section; that is where they belong. The lens determines how our images appear not the camera.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: lake constance

Review Date: February 17, 2019 Recommended | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: absolute pure, mechanical independance, sturdy, light, beautiful
Cons: viewfinder is not suitable to the rest of the camera ( plastics )

This is my favourite analogue camera for infrared photography. Solid and really beautiful in black and chrome. I also use it as alternative camera in my holidays in the alps, if my digital camera doesn´t work because its battery is exhausted. It is light weighted and all my lenses are useable on the MX and my Sony A7 with Novoflex adaptor unit. Ok, 500g additionally in my backpack, but you´ll never walk alone with this good oldschool "friend" - safety first!

In connection with the M series lenses, there are only less subjects, you can´t manage with the MX.

The only point I don´t agree with the Pentax engeneers of the seventies is the
beginning influence of plastics. The viewfinder window of the MX is very poor and doesn´t suit to the sturdy body of camera. The viewfinder itsself is very bright, I like it very much in using it with dark filters, because I am always able to see enough to shoot.

A really legendary camera - similar to the Nikon FM and the following FM2.
Its a great pity, that you have to buy such cameras in used condition, because
you must have a little bit luck to get a long lasting one.

Good luck!

Registered: June, 2018

Review Date: August 15, 2018 Recommended | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fully manual, featureful viewfinder, size, weight, build quality
Cons: shutter feel, price?

Prior to this camera I have used a Minolta x-300, Chinon CA-4 and Minolta XG-1.

I've been using it regularly since I got it, and have found it very easy to get accustomed to, although having been using the Chinon for so long that occasionally I forget to set the shutter.. (a terrible habit!)

One of the main reasons I got it was because I've been looking for a fully manual camera, it is almost entirely mechanical which I like very much. It does mean, though (obviously) that there is no auto settings, so if that's what you're looking for then obviously look elsewhere (probably the ME Super).

I haven't used the self-timer much, but it has two settings on it, longer (30s?) and shorter (15s?)

The viewfinder shows the shutter speed and the aperture. I use the shutter reading a lot more frequently than the aperture, though I find having both useful. The viewfinder isn't as good as the ME Super's. The ME Super doesn't have the aperture reading but is notably brighter.

The shutter is a bit noisy and doesn't feel as nice as the Minoltas, the Chinon CA-4 (metal shutter), or the ME Super. I'd say the same for the wind on mechanism. Both these mechanisms feel a bit light and not as refined as the other cameras I've used. I got used to the feel, though and maybe it is just the two that I have (both MXs share this).

Now, having got passed all of my criticisms, time for why I am using it on the daily. It has many features! all of which are mechanical! This makes it, despite some of my previous comments, a nice camera to use. The camera fits my hands nicely and isn't too light or too heavy, overall it feels sturdy to hold. One of the best pieces of praise I've heard for the K1000 (I forget where) is that it allows the user to forget about the camera and to think about the photograph; for me the MX does this, despite being, in comparison to K1000, fairly feature laden, it remains simple to use and none of them are distracting. I can see if the film is wound on, I can see how many exposures I have left, I can preview depth of field, I can set ASA, I can set the self timer, and I can see the shutter and aperture readings in the viewfinder.

Finally I want to talk about price..! It's certainly not the most expensive, usually a fair bit less than a k1000. But it's not the cheapest either and what I have to say here is: What do you want it for? For image making lenses and film are what matter. You can get a Chinon or an ME Super for less than these MXs, I still use my Chinon CA-4, from my uncles attic, very regularly, almost as much as the MX. I use these cameras because I can trust the light meters on them and because I have been accumulating K mount lenses.

I vomited all over my Chinon CA-4 recently and the bottom is peeling off of it, it has been around Europe with me. I still use it all the time, I took it with me on a trip last week and shot 1 roll through it and another roll through my MX.

I took the MX on a nice walk along the beach today, I was very happy with it, it looks and feels nice before and after I pick it up. I didn't think about it too much as I'm taking the photos. Sometimes I look at it in wonder at all the mechanisms inside and how I exchanged about 8 hours of bar work for it.

Does it make me feel inadequate?
Do I deserve it?

Well... I think it's happy that it gets out in the fresh air, it felt some rain today, maybe the first time in decades?

Much better than being in an attic or, even worse, a cabinet! .. hehe

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Land of the Salish Sea

Review Date: June 22, 2018 Recommended | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Diminuitive size, fully mechanical, ultra bright viewfinder, ruggedly build and extreme reliability
Cons: None worth mentioning

I've owned and used 4 different MXs in the past 5 years, two early models (one black) and two later models. There are enough reviews of this camera but I wanted to add my six cents for two reasons: I've owned 4 of them, and more importantly, over the years this camera quickly became the one-camera-I-would-keep-if-there-could-be-only-one camera. I've a lot of cameras and a few have tried to unseat the MX, but most have fallen incredibly short and a few have come reasonably close (the LX, the SV).

It is incredibly well built. I've watched my black early model ("my camera - my main one) tumble down a hiking trail and be perfectly fine. It's gotten a bit wet (not drenched, but wet) and not skipped a beat. The only thing the battery controls is the meter itself which has no bearing on operation of the camera's functions, which are entirely mechanical. The battery is unneeded except for in-camera metering. The meter is very accurate. Initially the LED type metering display was a bit annoying but I quickly grew to like it very much simply because I can see it in the dimmest of scenes which is just not true of nearly every other needle type viewfinder display of the era. Certainly the LEDs may be prone to failure eventually but none of my copies have ever had a problem nor shown any signs of one.

Two of my bodies were CLA'd (by Eric Hendrickson) and two have simply not needed a CLA yet (a testament to them). One was sold and another given to my sister. I currently have the older CLAd black model which is my daily-driver and quite frankly completely beat to hell... And I've a newer bright-capped version that is practically mint. Both operate flawlessly.

There is something simultaneously scrappy and elegant about the MX - it's quite utilitarian and rough in some ways, yet diminuitive and refined in others. With the MX Winder attached it is an entirely different beast and handles like a literal pro. Without the winder and with a small M series attached it is as small as any Leica (or smaller) and the only thing to give it away is its shutter/mirror noise which is not subtle, but far quiter than many other SLRs.

The viewfinder is the star of the show; it is gigantic and bright, and with a fast 50 attached the magnification is such that you can experience the rare both-eyes-open shooting which is truly the pinacle of 35mm SLR use insofar as I am concerned. In this way you experience every benefit a rangefinder window has to offer combined with TTL DoF feedback and (nearly) exact framing that is the benefit of shooting an SLR with a prism and mirror, all at the same time.

Shutter speeds go only to 1/1000th which isn't great, but is customary for the era in which it existed and more than sufficient. The dial has been often criticized as too stiff and I partially agree -- it is a bit stiff -- however many characterize it as "impossible" to operate without removing your eye from the finder and using more than one finger. This just isn't the case. Spend time with it and it becomes easier and second nature. The dial is stiffer than that on many other cameras, but (see video links below) it can absolutely be operated with a single index finger, or even still with a two-finger pinch grip whilst still looking through the finder.

Another, though less frequent complaint is the lack of a mirror-lock up but as you may have heard there is a workaround known as the "flick trick". I didn't try it for years and wish I had (I just don't have need for MLU very often as long exp for me are usuallly done on medium format) because it is ridiculously easy to do and takes just a few tries to get the hang of it. I've added a video for that below as well. Give it a try.

Camera bodies are personal, very subjective things in the sense that what "works" for one photog may not for another. But the MX, taken as a whole, "works" for me better than any other (though there is a particular Konica that comes very close, but that's another discussion entirely). The "one-camera" title would fall to the LX in a perfect world, but that will never happen due to that camera's suspect, early printed circuit boards that are begining to fail and negatively affect AE and shutter timing/operation as those models age. For that reason it's less reliable despite its near-perfect operation, and the MX remains "my one camera".

Pentax MX one-fingered shutter dial operatios - part 1

watch the family grow by Kevin Rosinbum (Eyewanders Foto), on Flickr

everyday shooter, now and then by Kevin Rosinbum (Eyewanders Foto), on Flickr

an experienced professional by Kevin Rosinbum (Eyewanders Foto), on Flickr
Add Review of Pentax MX

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!