Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Film Cameras » Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs
Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N Review RSS Feed

22 63,729 Sat March 31, 2018

Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N

The Pentax MZ-5N/ZX-5N SLR introduced in 1997 replaced the MX-5/ZX-5 from the year before. This new model kept the classic control layout with a shutter speed dial, an exposure compensation dial, levers for metering pattern and drive modes. The aperture was set with the aperture ring on the lens. A couple of important features were added, namely auto-bracketing, exposure lock and depth of field preview.

Extra flash functions with an external flash: Contrast control.

MZ-5N/ZX-5N
Grip FG, 4x AA
Size (W x H x D)
135 x 90 x 61.5 mm

Add Review of Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 22

Registered: November, 2007
Location: Gwynedd, Wales
Review Date: March 31, 2018 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: No | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Intuitive to use, uncrippled KAF2 with metal mount, DOF preview.
Cons: RELIABILITY

This is an interesting camera, an attempt I guess nto make someting with the controls of the pre-autofocus era.

Unfortunatly, the major problem is that they break. The popup flash fails, and more importantly the pinion gear on the motor fails. OK, you can now pick up another one very cheaply (if you can find one that still works) but it is totally against the ethos of the MX and older cameras the control layout is trying to remind us of.

To be fair, I had an MX for a while and although that's a highly regarded camera I didn't really like it. I guess I'm happy with push buttons etc. And of course not everyone is.

Unfortunately, although the camera is intuitive to use and supports pretty much every Pentax film era lens and some of the newer digital lenses, the heavier lenses are very unbalanced.

It would be a good camera if not for the cheap materials.

II actually prefer the cheaper MX-30 and 50, because the main thing I use these cameras for is to have something that is not going to break my heart if they are destroyed (parties, bike tours etc.) I'm not going to take my MEF or Z-1p into that sort of environment.

If you are a digital camera user and looking for something to get the feel of film cameras, I'd avoid the MZ/ZX series altogether. .

Registered: December, 2016
Location: North Germany
Review Date: February 1, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: light, good IQ, traditional use
Cons: short life time

I owned this camera in those years close before the digital era. Its exposures were pretty good: nice colors, sharp... but: suddenly its shutter stuck and so the camera never did work again. Today you can get this camera and its sisters MZ-3, MZ-7 etc. for a couple of Euro or Dollars on Ebay, mostly with the same defect: a stuck shutter.
So keep off even though it still works because it includes a ticking self destruction.

Registered: October, 2016
Location: Porthtowan

Review Date: October 23, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: No | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Near-perfect traditional handling, very good exposure measurement and display
Cons: Poor build quality, slow motor,

I took many good shots with this camera, the hit to miss ratio was the best of any model I've ever owned. The viewfinder was very good, especially with regard to the focus confirmation and exposure readout. However, its build quality was pretty lightweight for the price. Like many I found that the flash spring gave up the ghost. Talking of the flash, it had a tendency to overexpose. The film advance rate was pretty slow. The "panorama" mode was a useless gimmick, no doubt prompted by the advent of APS.

The appearance and ergonomics of this camera were inspired by the old MX - unfortunately the build quality was inspired by an accountant.

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Nagoya
Review Date: March 23, 2016 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: No | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Light, traditional dials
Cons: Interlock on dials, feels flimsy, sounds nasty

This camera has a certain charm to it, but for me it just doesn't feel quite right. The idea is a nice one - modern AF SLR with a nod to SLRs of yore in the shutter speed and exposure compensation dials. These dials would be fantastically convenient if it weren't for the buttons that you have to press to get them out of their automatic positions, which make them just as inconvenient, if not more so, than having to push buttons to change settings on other automatic SLRs. Apart from that, the camera itself feels unpleasantly plasticky (which is fine on my MZ-10, which cost a quarter of the price), and the shutter and winder make a really horrible noise reminiscent of nasty 90s P&S compacts. Add to that this camera's reputation for breaking down and it's really not worth the price premium that it commands over the other MZ/ZX models, especially given that its USP - the dials - really isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I have a similar-age Nikon F80 that I paid a lot less for and it is superior in every single way, as much as it pains me to say it.

For a modern(ish) Pentax SLR, the MZ-10, which also has an uncrippled mount, is a much better value and simpler choice, and so is the slightly older but more sturdy (and still very inexpensive) Z-50 or Z-20.

Registered: August, 2015
Review Date: August 9, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light but solid. Real pentaprism. Classic dials. Perfect size.
Cons: Slightly noiser wind-on than I would have hoped for.

My previous Pentax film SLR's were a Z-1p and a Z-50p. I sold the semi-pro Z-1p when I got fed up with the weight of it and started using cheap light DSLR's. Last year the Z-50p died on me so I bought a "used" MZ-5n. I was astonished at it's near mint condition and am totally delighted with it. My partner and I share the camera so having the dioptre adjustment is very useful. The images you get when using decent prime lenses and fujichrome slide film are very sharp with of course the fantastic colours fujichrome is famous for. I sometimes have the slides scanned but even high resolution scans viewed on an Apple monitor look feeble compared to projections of a "real raw" slide image. Anyway I tend to take lots of nature/landscape shots with film and use the DSLR for our kids and fast-action shots so I don't feel the need to choose between the 2 formats. Quite a few people have commented on the delicate flash-hinge thingy but I'm not concerned about that as I use this outside 99% of the time so it only gets a tiny bit of fill-in flash use.
I've seen plenty of these cameras for sale on ebay with various faults so my copy may not last as long as I hope but I'm careful with cameras and even if I only get a 100 or so rolls of film through this before it dies I will have had my money's worth. A lovely portable and enjoyable camera to take with you anywhere either on it's own or as a back-up to a DSLR for any once-in-a-lifetime-trips or event. I would have preferred an all-black version but haven't seen one advertised so I may splash out on a black MZ-3 if I can find a good one at a decent price....that way the wife and I will not have to fight over our MZ-5n anymore.....if you need a solid but light film camera with a great viewfinder and all the controls you're ever likely to need then seek one of these things out and use it. Film is not dead it's as good as ever and it's a lot less hassle than a DSLR with a thousand things to fiddle with/go wrong with...not to mention the tedium and time wasted having to mess with the inferior colour of digital images on a computer with ever-increasingly confusing software.

Location: Somewhere around Seattle

Review Date: February 8, 2015 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, versatility
Cons: Makes me want a 645n

I am so glad I bought this ZX5n to replace my SF1n that suddenly stopped rewinding film. Otherwise I'd still be mashing all the SF1n buttons with both hands and wouldn't know that there really is an easier, softer way to put images on film.

The ZX5n got its design cues, size and weight from the MX, has the same controls and SAFOX IV electronics as the 645n, has full lens compatibility including FAJ/DA (sans SDM/DC) lenses, and it's quiet on top of it all. From fully automatic to fully manual, it does everything I need a film camera to do. The pentaprism viewfinder and metal lens mount put it ahead of most all the other cameras in the MZ/ZX class.

It's easy to use because every mode and function is just one or two control changes away and every lens I mount works without a fuss. Shooting an M lens in AV mode on the ZX5n is so liberating compared to fighting the hard to turn shutter speed dial while studying the LEDs on my MX. That said, A, F, and FA lenses become another camera control dial that just happen to pass light thru. Auto-focusing is fast and accurate beyond my needs. None of my pictures so far have missed focus or exposure. The TTL flash is simple, versatile, and real-world useful.

I am amazed how effortlessly it can shoot through a roll of film and how smooth the shooting experience is. Can hardly feel the mirror slap or hear the film wind, it just makes a short quiet "clkzrr" then it's ready for the next shot. I am free to concentrate on the things that really matter: composition, depth of field, motion, and breaking the rule of thirds or not. This is the first camera I have owned that "gets out of the way" of my picture taking without feeling like a point and shoot. Yet it is that, too, when I want it to be, like for quick shots around family and friends.

If my 5n breaks I'll gladly fix or replace it because there isn't a better option available. The PZ1 and MZ-S are the only significant upgrades to this at the cost of greater weight, bigger size, increased complexity, and higher price but still have the same image quality. For all that, I'd switch to a 645n knowing now that it operates exactly like my MZ5n and that I'd gain the substantial benefit of the improved IQ of 120 film.

Review Date: December 30, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: diopter correction, excellent pictures
Cons: spring of flash, too much plastic

this is a "light version" of sfx, but with indication of aperture in viewfinder and spot-metering.

plastic construction, but very fine pictures with it.

very usefull with AA-battery-grip.Have experience with some items of this line. a metal body would be better.

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Seattle

Review Date: March 2, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Classic retro-design, easy and quick to use
Cons: faulty spring on pop up flash

I have owned two of these well specced bodies for ten years or so and was generally happy with them. As always, the minority who get problems are the most vocal and generally you don't hear so much from the people who were simply satisfied.

The camera layout is straightforward and there is little need of an instruction book or manual with all the controls easy to find. Unlike some reviewers I found the construction to be fairly solid; certainly more solid and a bit heavier than than some budget Canon and Nikon bodies of the same period.

The two problems that occasionally turn up (mirror hinge and pop-up flash spring) can both be fixed cheaply if you are willing to have a go - there are instructions on the internet. One of my bodies developed the flash spring problem but this was after ten years of use.

For me this camera was a reliable, delightful to use, semi-pro design. I just wish Pentax could produce a DSLR with a similar layout!

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Kyoto
Review Date: December 29, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: No | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: strong intermediate-grade featureset, reliable operation
Cons: plastic, flimsy, small viewfinder

I'm being over-negative in the rating. It's a perfectly fine intermediate-level Pentax autofocus film body, and far, far better than most of the rest of its stablemates. The finder is small, but clear and with a good, modern display to one side with plenty of info. The autofocus is low, basic, but accurate. There is a traditional shutter-speed dial, and quick access external controls for the meter coverage and EV compensation. There's even a top LCD, though it only displays shooting mode and film count.

The best thing this model has going for it, vs. the cheaper variants, is you can use it easily in full manual, and quickly move to S, A and P modes by turning either one or both shutter speed and aperture dials to "A". If the lens is Pentax A or FA, that is. Older lenses are still quite functional though.

The most annoying thing is probably the lack of an exposure lock, and of any control over the 3 autofocus points. Its not devastating, but coming off a modern dSLR, its frustrating. I use it in manual mode.

Thing is though, it's neither fish nor fowl: too new to be fun as a vintage camera, too old to be convenient, too simple and fragile to be a professional (or even enthusiast) tool, yet unnecessarily complicated for an beginner.

It's not the prettiest camera ever made, nor the nicest one to fit in your hand, or even especially easy to manipulate.

Also: the batteries are frickin' expensive!

I bought it to give my FA lenses a workout in full-frame every once in a while. For that purpose, it's great. As a film body, though, it's no ME Super, that's for sure!

Registered: December, 2007
Location: Prague
Review Date: June 8, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very precise AF and metering

This camera is not the hottest in terms of specifications, but works well. I never had any problem with it's metering and the AF is precise enough for use with 85/1.4 wide open - even though it is not too fast.
I like the easy to use controls and light weight of it. The camera has proven to be very dyrable in abuse, but it is known that the plastic hinge in mirror box is a time bomb and it will sooner or later fail me.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK
Review Date: August 25, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Traditional controls, good AF, quieter shutter than K series DSLR's
Cons: It HAS to have aperture ring lenses to control, number of AF points, it's plastic!

I have had this camera new for 12 years, and it still works great.
Unlike some reviews on here, all of the functions still work excellently, but thats maybe because I have only put around 100 rolls of films through it, so it is not heaviley used.
It only has 3 non-illuminated AF points, but considering its era, thats okay.

As for accuracy, yes its great and with good lenses and fine film perfect for the job.

If you find a good one, buy it, as it gives you the traditional control and makes you think more.

Review Date: June 28, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: No | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Packed with features, old school Pentax
Cons: Not sturdy, slow top shutter speed

On the one hand this camera is very good with lots of handy features. And, its traditional layout reminds me of older Pentaxes. Very light weight too. Unfortunately, the camera does not hold up well. I had had one for not even two years before it broke down. From what I have read on this forum and other photography sites this camera does not have a solid reputation for reliability. Mirror lock up seems to be a major issue. If it wasn't for mine breaking down I would have rated it a 7 or 8.

Location: Sterling, VA
Review Date: June 27, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: No | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Easy to use; great features
Cons: Cheap, unreliable

This camera is very easy to use and is packed with great features. Like everyone else has said, this camera is a throwback to older Pentax film cameras. However, it is very cheap in feel and construction. I have had three of these and within a few months of purchase they all suffered mirror lock up problems rendering them useless. I have been told this problem is common not only with this model, but other Pentax ZX cameras. Too bad as this camera otherwise is great.

Registered: August, 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
Review Date: December 19, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A very versatile modern classic auto focus film camera, penta-prism viewfinder
Cons: weak plastic mirror motor gear prone to break

Pros A very versatile modern classic auto focus film camera, penta-prism viewfinder, metering mode switch
Cons weak plastic mirror motor gear prone to break
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) free
Years Owned one year
I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
A light and small camera good for traveling

Camera Review
After reading the review here, I decided to acquire a copy of ZX-5n for myself as I didn’t have any auto-focus film camera. I contacted an ebay seller and he informed me that he had non working one with mirror locked up and would give it to me for free. This is a widely known problem among ZX series of cameras and has been discussed in the film SLR forum. I therefore prepared to tackle this problem myself as the price for professional repair is prohibitive. After replacing the mirror motor, I ran through a roll of film. I really like this camera; it has all the attributes the above reviewers already mentioned. The only weak point of this camera: “it's not a matter of if the camera will break...only when.” I will document the detailed steps how to replace the mirror motor. With the new motor in, the camera works excellently without any issue. I use the following lenses on this camera: Pentax F 35-70, 70-210, FA43, DFA 100 WR, DA 40, DA 18-55, and 55-300 (vignetting between 18-20mm).

Tool of the Trade: pencil tip solder iron (ebay $3 shipped from HongKong), de-soldering pump, #000 Phillips screw driver ($4 from RC toy store, Wiha or DuraTrax brand, DuraTrax is made in Taiwan and therefore is JIS type), tweezers, masking tape.
1. Remove the back cover by pushing the little screw attached on the top hinge. Cover the shutter area with a business card and tape. Keep a cap on the lens mount.
2. Remove the bottom plate. Put all the screws together and tape them on a sheet of paper; remember the screw at the lower side of battery door is shorter.
3. Remove all the external screws and tape them on a sheet of paper and write down where they come from. To free the top cover, there are 2 hidden screws need to be removed, one silver screw in the battery compartment and a black one in the film compartment. Remove the cover around lens mount and 2 plastic front covers.
4. Remove 2 screws of electrical contact to the back door with QD in the film chamber, tape the screws and clamp on the sheet of paper. Free the contact and pull on the bottom side. Use a felt pen to mark the screw location on the bottom metal plate, remove the screws and tape them back to the original hole on the plate. Tape the film transport gears. Remove the spring and a black plastic tube on the right side.
5. Lift up the top cover. If the camera has not been used for a long time, there shouldn’t be any charge in the capacitors. Otherwise, measure the voltage between the wires (green, blue) come from flash to the flash board. Un-solder the 4 wires. Make a drawing for the location on the flash board. Un-solder 2 black wires and a red wire on the battery contact right beside ON/OFF/SHUTTER switch. Make a drawing of solder location. Attach masking tape on the red wire indicating B+. Unsolder the pin at the edge of the battery contact; this is not connected to – of battery. There are 4 pillars near the prism housing connecting the flexible board to the flash board and 2 more at the back edge. Use de-soldering pump while heating the solder point. There are 6 more wires to un-solder on the flexible board near the ON/OFF switch. Again make the drawing, white, green, and yellow, red, purple, black (re-solder in reverse sequence). Bundle the 2 and 4 wires together with tape. Remove the screw near back edge. Lift up flexible board carefully. Underneath the circuit board, there is a black plastic support which is attached to a hole beside the prism housing, pull it a little and bend the circuit board up. Don't need to disconnect the red wire on the flash board. Remove 2 screws and pull out the flash board. Remove the screw on the DOF pre-view switch. (note: in models which do not have DOF button such as MZ-5 and 7, don't even need to remove flash board and capacitors.) Un-solder the black wire on lens mount.
6. Remove 2 screws on viewfinder eyepiece and 2 more underneath the eyepiece. There are 2 more screws on the bottom side between the mirror box and the frame, the one on the right side has a piece of metal attached to it. The circuit board is double-face taped on the prism housing; carefully pry it loose. Now lift up the mirror box a little, more on the gear box side enough to reach the lower screw. Remove all 4 screws. Un-solder the 2 wires on the motor, carefully open the gear box while pushing back the gear to its place. Make sure the yellow and green gears are synchronized by lining up the holes together. Remember the label on the motor is facing the front of the camera. Remove the 2 screws on the motor. Your are done. Assemble in reverse order.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Michigan

Review Date: December 18, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: exposure control, lens compatibility
Cons: primitive autofocus

Pros exposure control, lens compatibility
Cons primitive autofocus
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) not available
Years Owned 11 yrs

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Compact autofocus 35mm film SLR with program, aperture preferred, shutter preferred, and metered manual exposure modes.

Camera Review
Overall, this is probably the best film camera Pentax ever made, even though many individual specs are bested by other models. For example, it is compact for an autofocus body, but the film *ist is substantially smaller and lighter. It has a solid, professional feel with stainless steel lens mount, but an earlier generation's SV or Spotmatic is solider still.

Lens compatibility - It has better compatibility with older lenses than most later models, allowing one or more auto-exposure modes with any lens Pentax ever made. This contrasts starkly with the *ist, which will not even meter accurately with lenses that do not have an auto mode. The only downside is that newer lenses with no aperture control ring can't use aperture-preferred auto.

Autofocus - This was my first autofocus SLR and I was very impressed at the time. However, it does not have anything like the speed and confidence of today's systems. It seems to be insensitive to the contrast in horizontal lines and you will often find yourself tilting the camera to get the sensor to respond.

Exposure control - The place where this camera really wins is operating speed. Unlike any other auto program camera I have ever seen, it doesn't require changing a menu setting, or even turning a dial to change exposure modes. If you have a lens with an aperture control ring that has the auto setting, you can set both the shutter and the lens to auto for full program automation of exposure. When you want to specify the aperture, you don't have to go to a menu, press buttons, turn a wheel or look at a screen, you simply turn the aperture ring to the lens opening you want - and this act puts you in aperture-preferred mode. Conversely, if you want shutter preferred mode, simply move the shutter speed dial from auto to the value you want and start shooting. I can't emphasize how much difference this small time saving can make in a shooting session with fleeting opportunities. Finally, if you want full manual, you don't have to set a mode, you just set both shutter and lens to the values you want, just as Oskar Barnack would have done a century ago, but without ever having to take your eye away from the eyepiece. This is very important in some shooting situations.

To be fair, we have gained a lot of sophistication with the addition of data screens and multiple program modes, but there is a steep learning curve with every new camera and operating speed never quite equals that of the ZX-5n. I hope whoever designed this camera won a prize. It was recently available online for $95 - $180 (with Lens). Mine is not for sale.
Add Review of Pentax MZ-5N / ZX-5N

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!