Pentax Camera Reviews » Pentax Film Cameras » Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs
Pentax P3N/P30N Review RSS Feed

9 48,935 Sat November 1, 2014

Pentax P3N/P30N

The Pentax P3N/P30N is an upgraded version of the P3/P30. The only difference is the addition of Av auto exposure mode to the Program and Manual exposure modes of the predecessor.

Unlike the P30T, the P30N has a horizontal split-screen focusing screen.

P3N/P30N
Battery grip/pack
Size (W x H x D)
137 x 87.5 x 50.5 mm

Add Review of Pentax P3N/P30N
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-9 of 9

Registered: February, 2014

Review Date: November 1, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: dirt cheap, robust body, manual mode, no light seals
Cons: no pc port, dx locked, batteries required, no aperture indicator, no shutter priority

I bought a P30t, many years ago, after I lost my MX in a move.
I lost the P30t in another move, still had a few lenses and accessories.
Bought an MX of the ebay, then decided to buy a P30t as well, as it came with several lenses and other stuff.
Then I ended up with a couple other P series bodies that came with various lenses and stuff I wanted.
I now have a P3n and a P30t and they both get use. I use the P30t for color film, and the P3n for B/W.
For bang around sturdy reliability with the awesome selection of lenses available for the Pentax 35mm cameras, and at the price they can be found, the P series cameras are excellent for any level of 35mm photographer.
I do wish the body had a pc port for off camera flash.
I wish the body had a non electronic shutter function.
I would like to have some indication of aperture used in finder.
I prefer the MX LED exposure indicator. And I would also like a match needle as well.
In bright light, the LED is hard to see and use, and in very dark, the match needle is hard to use. Having both would be best. And Free Beer would be nice too.

Location: Madrid, Spain
Review Date: October 30, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid feel, reliable, compact, great meter, great viewfinder
Cons: No ISO over-ride, 1/1000s max shutter speed, ugly shutter sound

I have a P30 and a P30N and they are essentially the same but the N adds aperture priority.

The P30 series of cameras is probably THE bargain of 35mm manual focus SLRs. Solid, compact, reliable, competent, extremely cheap - they have everything you really need in a film camera. The viewfinder is extremely good, very similar in size and brightness to the ME Super.

The ugly shutter sound is a minor annoyance. The camera automatically detects the ISO from the DX coding on the canister and defaults to 100 if the canister isn't coded. It can't be over-ridded except by making your own DX codes using paper, glue and tin foil and putting it over the existing code. I spent an hour doing that and made up a variety of DX codes to use when necessary and that's that. I feel that for the era this camera is from, 1/1000s is a bit poor for a maximum shutter speed, but then most of my other (older) film SLRs have the same limitation.

There's no real exposure compensation, but there's a "memory" button - you point it where you want to meter, press the button, and the exposure locks for around ten seconds to give you time to re-compose and focus. I never use it, I prefer to just change the aperture or shutter speed on manual mode to make the necessary changes.

Despite being from the 80s, these cameras are still quite handsome and were probably the last line of well-built consumer cameras produced before the plasticky, cheap AF bodies came in. The P30 series are always the first cameras I recommend to beginners because they're so good and cheap, but even for people beyond beginners they're still very useful. My P30 and P30N are possibly my most-used film cameras.

Here are a couple of photos from this camera.

Pro Image 100 043a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

NY T-Max 400 063a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2014
Review Date: October 30, 2014 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Design, Body, Auto Modes, Simple
Cons: Tiny bit plasticky, Requires Batteries, Matte Paint

Nice body and design, a delight to use. Shooting with it is very fun and the meter is superb. As it is one of the newer, older SLR's (If that makes sense?) it is easy to find in perfect condition.

The only two things I didn't like was the requirement of batteries, which is only a slight annoyance but if you have them it doesn't matter and they are easy to find, and the fact that it is plasticky in some areas. It has a metal body but certain parts are plastic and the matte finish for the metal body makes the metal feel like plastic which is an annoyance.

Overall I would definitely recommend this camera as a simple auto SLR or as part of a collection but not as a first SLR or for someone who expects the world from their equipment.

Review Date: March 21, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: ergonomics, weight
Cons: iso override

This was the camera i started learning photography a few years ago, for me it was just a camera... i didn't know what were features, so i didn't really care...
i always used it in manual mode and with manual lens with no A setting even though it supports A Lens

The camera has a built in timer that didn't work, so i couldn't really test it
I love the body, it's lightweight (compared of course to what i use today, a dslr k20d) and from what i can see, it was sturdy.
im not sure if it's a feature since this doesn't happened on the p50 i currently own so i'm not sure it my p50 is bad
when you half press the shutter button, the metering system turned on, on my p50 it doesn't , it has a button on the side that turns it on for you.
i love the wheel to set the speed, overall if you get this camera to learn photography it think you are well served

i didn't sold the p30, i had to return it since it was borrowed
if i ever come across a p30 for the price it's worth i will get one. (i found a cheap p30t but the gray plastics didn't game me much confidence)

Just a few pictures i did with this camera, nothing fancy like i said, and not very high quality scans too
black and whites were developed by myself with homemade recipes

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Bangalore
Review Date: March 14, 2013 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A mode, Excellent viewfinder
Cons: No ISO overrides

Lovely small camera. I never thought I will buy this as I already have too many film SLRs but when someone wanted to sell it and when I played with it for a moment, I really found it worth picking up.

Has a gorgeous viewfinder like my other cameras (Super A, ME Super) and overall camera feels solids. Does everything like my other cameras and has A mode, the only disappointment is that it does not have ISO override for push/pull however I can live with that.

It surely doesn't replace by other camera only because I love to shoot wide open and this one is limited to 1/1000s, apart from that it's a lovely camera.

Not important but worth mentioning, it has non-Pentax shutter sound, the shutter sounds way different from other Pentax cameras I have used, probably one of the reasons why I wanted it to be in my collection

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Kansas City
Review Date: May 17, 2012 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: $37.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Intuitive, well-placed controls and very reliable
Cons: No manual override for DX coding

I wanted to get into street photography, but I didn't want to put any of my Nikon stuff in harm's way. So, I figured I would pick up an inexpensive Pentax SLR (I'd had a couple of MXs and a full array of M-lenses when I first got into photography in the late 1970s). I checked out this and other forums, and decided I'd look for a P3N.

I now have two of these -- both purchased off eBay. The build quality was good enough to convince me to re-invest in a lot of Pentax lenses, and I now have a really nice system.

Some see the P3N as a more modern version of the K1000, but I personally find it compares more to the MX. With its built-in grip, this is a very comfortable camera to hold and use. It is well-balanced with all of my lenses, has an easy-to-use and seemingly quite accurate meter, and a very nice single-stroke film advance lever.

Frankly, I'd give this a 10 if not for the lack of an override for the DX coding. That said, it really has not proven to be too big a deal when it comes to pulling/pushing film; I just make a mental note when I'm reading the meter, and I then adjust accordingly.

This camera has -- along with my 645N -- rekindled my love for Pentax gear. My Nikon FM2 and lenses now just sit in a box on the shelf. The Pentax stuff is just more fun to shoot.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Virginia
Review Date: July 28, 2011 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid feel, clear controls, bright viewfinder
Cons: No shutter-priority mode, lacks pop-up flash

I like the heft of this little camera. Not such a tank as the SF1n, it still feels solid and firm in the hand. The settings are simple, intuitive, none of the push-button gimmickery of the MEs or the slide-this-while-pushing of the SF1n. Use an A-lens, set the dial to A, the lens to A, and you're in program mode. Turn the aperture ring away from A and you're in aperture-priority mode. Turn the aperture ring away from A , the dial away from A, and you're in manual mode. A well-lit, easy-to-read column appears on the left margin of the viewfinder, showing your shutter speed setting, which will kindly blink if it's not optimal and stop blinking when you get the settings adjusted properly. The lack of shutter priority may give pause to some (it did to me), but, after all, manual mode enables you to shoot with the shutter speed you want. Same goes for exposure compensation: just use manual mode and adjust the aperture or shutter speed so that you have the under- or over-exposure that you want. The lack of a pop-up flash can be a nuisance if you find yourself needing a flash and have forgotten to bring one along, but since I seldom, if ever, use a flash, this lack hasn't really bothered me. In short, this camera is a joy to use.

Registered: July, 2009
Location: 14er Country
Review Date: November 29, 2010 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It's a forgotten workhorse that can be picked up cheaply.
Cons: No MLU, No ISO adjust

Pros It's a forgotten workhorse that can be picked up cheaply.
Cons No MLU, No ISO adjust
Rating 8
Price (U.S. Dollars) $20
Years Owned 1 Year

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
The P3n comes loaded with just enough features to make it a worthwhile shooter. It's size and weight are my ideal, and the camera is a joy to shoot with. As for value, it'll be tough to beat this one. These seem to be forgotten cameras of Pentaxia and they can be found pretty cheaply with a little hunting.

Camera Review
The P3n seems to be a bit of a forgotten camera, but makes a great little manual focus shooter. It has just enough features to make it pleasant to use, but not so many that it takes 5 hours with a manual to figure it out. The camera is just the right size and weight to match well with some Pentax primes, or a small zoom. Ergonomically, I really like how it fits into my hand. I'd have no problem shooting a P3n all day long.

In the end, there are only 3 real gripes I have with the camera, and one is just me being silly:

1) There's no Mirror Lock Up. It's not a huge deal, but when shooting in the 1/2 to 1/30th range, I can note a tiny little bit of blur on images, and I'm wondering if it's a result of mirror slap. Now, I try to avoid that shutter speed range if possible. If not, I use the biggest tripod I can manage to carry to my shooting location and try to damp it as best as I can. I think with those precautions, the blur would only be noticeable in the 16x20 or bigger enlargement range. Since I'm already pushing my luck blowing up 35mm slides/negs that big anyways, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

2) There's no DX coding override. Since I don't do much push/pull processing, this isn't a big deal to me. I could see it being quite problematic for some shooters, though.

3) I don't like the shutter sound of the P3n. Yeah...I know that it's silly to list this as a fault, but shooting film is purely for enjoyment for me these days. It's kind of a journey back in time for me. The cameras I remember using when I was younger (Canon FTb, Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL, etc.) all had quite satisfying "Ka-Thwacks!" to them. When I picked up a K1000 for the first time, it surged to the front as my favorite camera acoustically. Man it sounds nice! The P3n, on the other hand, has kind of a squeak to it that reminds me too much of a Canon A-series camera with the dreaded shutter squeak. Unlike those Canons, the P3n seems to be in no danger with it's squeak, but it still isn't quite as satisfying of an experience for me. I'm just weird like that, I guess.

Beyond all of that, though, the P3n has proven to be a reliable, enjoyable camera that I quite like to take out and shoot with. Much of my last stash of Kodachrome has been shot with either the K1000 or the P3n. I can't think of a better way to have a final huzzah with my favorite film than with these two classic Pentax bodies!

Registered: February, 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Review Date: June 16, 2009 I can recommend the Pentax P3N/P30N: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

The P30n was delivered both with a metal film door similar to the P30 and with a plastic film door similar to the P30t. All of them had a plastic bottom plate where one can open the battery cover without using a coin.

I bought the P3n not long after they were introduced, and used it regularily until 2005. I chose it over the still-available-new K1000 for the split-prism focus screen, DOF preview, off switch and smaller body. The P3n has a lot more features than that, those were the important ones at the time. As I recall the K1000 was $99 and the P3n was $149.

I had to return my first one; if I tightened a tripod mount too much the shutter wouldn't fire. That's the only problem I had until lately. Lack of use has made it necessary to wind and dry-fire the camera empty a few times before loading film, otherwise the shutter won't fully cock without winding two or three times. I have never had it serviced or taken it apart. I dropped it in 2005 hard enough to break my Sigma 35-70 zoom, but the camera still worked well and has no visible damage.

My sister got a P3 and I was surprised at the differences. The P3n has a cable release socket, Av mode, a grip on the film door as well as the front grip, and a battery door that doesn't require a coin. Both these have a horizontal split-prism. I handled a P30t and it felt more plasticky, but I don't know if that's actually true. The P3 and P30t reviews match my experiences with the P3n.

The camera has a very clean design at the top, and the knobs and controls are all protected. I've seen a lot of other film cameras with broken bits, and I am sure this protected design kept mine from breaking. I traveled everywhere with a barely padded camera bag, P3n, A50/1.7, Sigma 35-70 something, Takumar-A 70-200 f4 and Vivitar 550FD flash. The camera still looks great. Lately I added an eyecup from a ZX series camera, which works well. The markings on the shutter speed dial are painted, not engraved, and worn. They are displayed in the viewfinder, though.

I have a very nice black MX now, and yes, it does have a nicer mechanical feel and the best viewfinder. But I am afraid I'll scratch it. The P3n matches it very well for practical features.
Add Review of Pentax P3N/P30N

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!