Showing all 1 reviews by pentaxbart

Review of: Pentax K-70 by pentaxbart on Fri September 15, 2017 | Rating: 9 View more reviews
pentax_k70.jpg

Views: 69488
Reviews: 18
Well, here we go! Until the K-70 I owned an very cheap compact-superzoom with a tiny sensor and adequate image-quality. We (me and my wife) needed a new camera, but the fast paced quality of cameras in smartphones made us decide that if we want to buy a new camera, it has to be something serious, otherwise it wil probably be very dated, very soon. But we especially wanted to make better photos instead of quick snapshots with our smartphones. In our opinion we made the best photo's if we take our time and use a dedicated camera with a good grip. Around januari 2017 I borrowed an old Canon from a friend (1000D) just to practice a bit. Apart from the dated camera we loved taking time to make nice photo's (or at least trying to). Conclusion: we want an ILC. But then? I was already reading reviews on a number of websites and making lists about camera's. Then walked to the nearest large retailer and was almost talked into buying a Nikon D5400. After that we went to a dedicated camerastore and almost bought a Sony A58. I then realised my knowledge was too basic for just buying a very random DSLR without thorough research. So back to the drawingboard. One large and extensive excel-file later I had a better view of wat was available. The most important lesson I learned is that we wanted to have IBS, excellent image quality, flipping screen and some sort of WR. That was the end of Nikon and Canon. We tested mirrorless, but didn't like the EVF and on average they were small en we wanted a good chunky grip. My conclusion of months of research was that the camera with fitted our wishes best was certainly a Pentax. And specific the K70. I read a lot of good reviews en we went to another camerastore with had the K70. It was love in first sight. Really good grip, very rugged exterior. It feels like a camera you can drop 821 times and still works just fine. We had a good deal for the K70 + 18-135mm WR + da 50mm f/1.8 for 999 euros (1192 dollars) After using it for about six months I wanted to share my review. Handling: Very nice camera to hold on to. Deep grip en chucky exterior. Buttons are on the right places and you can almost customize every button. Operation: Startup is almost instant. The menu is at first overwhelming in the sheer number of settings. But without using the manual to much I found a lot of settings in a reasonable time. (even tho my wife already found it in the manual and tried to tell me wear I can find specific settings faster) I then edited the standaard JPEG settings to increase the standard quality of the JPEG output. The camera works as a charm. One drawback, the battery. My wife uses the wifi a lot (works very well in contrary of what some reviews say). This wil empty your battery quite fast. If we went for a daytrip, in most cases it was almost empty at the end of the day. AF: Moving objects (escpecially fast moving) is difficult, you will need some practise to get it right. And in my experience you have a lot of misses. I did compare it with the 7Dm2 with 100-400LII from an uncle. Okay, I know, that's not fair, but the difference is gigantic. (the price gap is also gigantic) But an larger dof and high shutterspeed will do in most cases. Image quality: In my opinion excellent. The real profit of a dedicated camera is not in bright light, but in situations of high contrast and low light. The dynamic range is fantastic, you can lift back a almost black foreground to match the sky. I'm experimenting with Lightroom to get the maximum out of raw-files. Conclusion: I can really recommand the K70 to any first time buyer. Just be sure to tweak the settings for the JPEG output. Image quality is stellar, dynamic range is huge and the OVF is beautiful. The grip is solid and the WR build look and feels durable. A great first Pentax!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!