Pentax Camera Reviews » Ricoh Digital Cameras » Ricoh Compact Digital Cameras
Ricoh GR III Review RSS Feed

2 20,656 Mon September 16, 2019
100% of reviewers $1,000.00 9.00

Ricoh GR III

The pocketable Ricoh GR III announced in 2018 continues the acclaimed Ricoh GR line by upping the pixel count to 24MP, adding shake reduction, and hybrid autofocus. The focal length of the length is 28mm equivalent, and through image cropping 35mm and 50mm equivalent focal lengths are available.

A wide angle attachement is available resulting in an equivalent focal length of 21mm. Available are also two optical viewfinders which attach to the hot shoe.

The GR III hit the market in March 2019.

- Camera Manual

Camera nameRicoh GR III
Sensor24.24 MP APS-C CMOS (23.5 x 15.6 mm) without low-pass (AA) filter
Aspect ratio3:2 (6000 x 4000), 1:1 (4000 x 4000)
Image stabilizationYes, sensor-shift shake reduction (SR), three axis
Moire reductionAA filter simulator using SR unit with two settings. Can be turned off.
 Software based moirť reduction available in editing mode during playback
Dust removalUltrasonic vibrations of the sensor "DR II"
Pixel mappingYes
ISO range100 - 102400
Exposure modesP, Av, Tv, Manual, 3 user modes
Light meterMulti-segment, center weighted, spot, highlight weighted
Exposure compensation+/- 5 EV (+/- 2 EV in movie mode)
ND filter (2 EV)On, auto, off
Noise reductionHigh-ISO and long shutter speed noise reduction
White balanceAuto, multi-segment auto, various manual settings (can be finely adjusted)
Imege controlSeveral settings
Dynamic range correctionHightlight and shadow correction
Film simulationYes
Digital filtersSeveral
ShutterMechanical and electronic
Shutter speeds30 s - 1/4000 s, bulb, time 10 s to 20 min
 Fastest speed limited to 1/2500 s at F2.8
Self timer10 sec. and 2 sec. delay
Shooting modesSingle, continuous, exposure bracketing, interval, interval composite
Lens18.3 mm (28 mm eqv.), F2.8 - F16
Crop modes35 mm and 50 mm eqv.
Optics6 elements in 4 groups (2 aspherical lens elements)
Auto focusHybrid Phase/Contrast detect AF
 Working range 0.1 m to infinity
 Macro mode 0.06m - 0.12 m
 Auto-area, zone, select, pinpoint, subject tracking, continuous
 Face detection: on, auto-AF area only, off
 AF assist light
Manual focusYes, plus infinity and snap
Closest focus distance10 cm, 6 cm in macro mode
ViewfinderNo built-in viewfinder
Live ViewYes
Monitor3 inch, aspect ratio 3:2, 1037K dots, wide viewing angle, air-gapless
 Touch-screen
 Adjustments: Outdoor view setting +/- 2 steps, brightness, color balance
In-camera editingRaw development, crop, resize, white balance, levels, moirť reduction, movie cut and divide
FlashHot shoe for external flash, Pentax P-TTL protocol
 Modes: On, On + red eye, slow-speed sync, slow-speed sync+red eye
 Flash compensation +/-2 EV
MovieFull HD (1920 x 1080) (60p, 30p, 24p), up to 25 minutes or 4 GB file size
SoundStereo
ConnectivityWi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB-C, HDMI (via optional USB-C to HDMI conversion cable)
Storage mediaSD, SDHC, SDXC, 2 GB built-in memory
File formatJPG and RAW (DNG), RAW+JPG, MOV (MPEG4 AVC/H.264)
BatteryDedicated rechargeable battery DB-110, battery life 200 images
Size109.4 x 61.9 x 33.2 mm
Weight257 g loaded, 227 g body only
Notes14 bit color depth in RAW, 8 bit in JPG.
 Body constructed of magnesium alloy
Megapixels: 24
Movie Mode: Full HD
Zoom: No
In Production: Buy This Item
In-Depth Review: Read our Ricoh GR III in-depth review!

Add Review of Ricoh GR III Buy the Ricoh GR III
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-2 of 2

Registered: July, 2016
Location: Alps
Review Date: September 16, 2019 I can recommend the Ricoh GR III: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: compact, light, excellent IQ, ergonomics, almost everything
Cons: battery life, cost

Huge improvement on the RICOH GR (mark I) I previously owned.
- shake reduction makes 1/4s handheld shots possible for beautiful shots including moving water with no tripod

- 24MPX makes the 35mm crop used without thinking about resolution loss at about 15MPX
- much more responsive (ex: ADJ button to set aperture was so slow on mark I, it's now immediate)
- touchscreen is so good for focusing, and navigating
- more focusing modes

- WiFi/bluetooth

GR was a very good camera, GR III is wonderful.

Sharp across the frame, pocketable and not intrusive, mid-fast 28mm/35mm, good JPG rendering options and customisation, snap focusing, macro capability, ergonomics and Fn customisation...

What to say ? Perfect camera for me as I always struggle to go out with my K3-II other than pro-use because of size/weight, but I want no compromise on image quality at the smallest package possible.

My use is mainly landscape, nature, and travel. Truly a perfect (wide angle) walk-around .

Whats bad ?
- battery life (you need more batteries and they are expensive, no-name batteries works fine at a good price, but even lower battery-life)
- accessories prices (leather case, batteries, charger are VERY expensive, and you REALLY need them).
- price of the camera itself is a bit high (maybe will be less steep in a few months/years), but I'd pay it again for what it is !

I'm really digging the 21mm converter for my landscape use, costly for sure, adding quite a bit of bulk, but still more than reasonably light package for an awesome IQ from what I can find online.

The GR -I or III- changed my photography for sure, because it's a pleasure to use, it's fixed focal length, and you always can have it with you.

Location: Tokyo

Review Date: July 10, 2019 I can recommend the Ricoh GR III: Yes | Price: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, image quality, controls
Cons: Battery life

Having had the GR III for a couple of months now, I feel Iíve used it enough to write a review. In the past I had the very first GR Digital camera, with the much smaller sensor. I really liked that camera, but by the time the first APS-C GR came out, I was recently invested in quite a lot of Pentax gear, so I could not justify buying it. When the GR III came, they had got the size back down, and added IBIS, and I was in a position to buy, so I went to the Ricoh store in Tokyo and bought it direct.

Battery
Iíll get the worst aspect out of the way first. This is a very power hungry camera. Iím sure I could get 250 shots out of it if I just switched it on to shot and off again. However in reality I donít often shoot that much in one go with this camera. I have been spending quite a lot of time in the menus and reviewing images. Also, I think it may drain power a little when switch off. The upshot of this is that you have to have a spare battery ready in case. I actually have three and I bought the external charger. This solves the problem for me.

Build
I really like the purposefulness of the design. There is nothing decorative or superfluous on the camera. With the plastic of the pop-up flash from previous models gone, it is metal all around. There is no plastic top for the wifi antenna because the window in the magnesium body for that is now under the rubber of the grip. Mine does not exhibit any manufacturing flaws. When you change the orientation of the camera while switched off, you can hear/feel the sliding of the sensor inside. It seems to be less of a hard ďclonkĒ than in Pentax bodies. They must have damped it somehow.

Controls / Ergonomics
I find the controls and the hold basically perfect. It never feels like Iíll lose grip of it and all the main features fall under my fingertips. Itís quite difficult to describe in detail because there is a lot of depth to the interface. Iíll summarize like this:
- There are a lot of control points (three dials, numerous function buttons, d-pad and the touch screen.
- There is a huge amount you can customize about what the controls do and how they behave.
- You often have more than one way of doing something. So for example, you can scroll the menus by swiping, using the circular dial around the d-pad, or pressing the d-pad itself. When you want to finalize a selection, you can press a button on the screen, click the OK button or the shutter release.
- What Ricoh has chosen as the default for most controls suits me. I actually havenít needed to do much customization. I think Iíve only changed the ďmovieĒ button to toggle SR on and off.
- There are some useful tricks and shortcuts. For example, if you hold the play button while off, the camera will switch on in play mode without extending the lens. If you hold a second longer, it will activate wifi and connect to your phone. I use this all the time.
- The touch screen is great. It makes menu diving and image review so much nicer. Because going into the menus is less of a chore, it has made me more adventurous with trying out different settings.

Operation speed / Autofocus
The camera starts up very quickly, and is always responsive to button presses. The guys in the Ricoh store updated my firmware when I bought it. Iíve found the AF to be quick and accurate. There are times when it preferred some contrasty texture in the background to a more obvious target in the foreground, but Ricoh just updated to firmware 1.20, and it apparently addresses this. Using the touch screen to select a focus point is really useful. Even if I donít agree with the cameras choice of focus point, I can just touch where I want to focus and correct it. On the default settings, it resets to the center after one shot, which is what I like. The other alternative is to press down for the preset snap focus distance, but I donít have to do that much, because the AF has usually worked in time.

Image quality
The lens is extremely sharp and uniform across all apertures and the whole frame of the image. After my first trip out with the camera, I examined the images for soft edges and other weaknesses, but I couldnít find anything. I use JPEGs, so it is possible that I am looking at some kind of corrected images, but the short story is everything is sharp all across the frame at all apertures. There is not much defocus blur because of the sensor size and aperture, but it blurs nicely in macro mode.

I personally like the default JPEG profile. Iíve been trying some of the others as well, and the standard monotone one is lovely too. Of course, this is just a matter of personal taste, and you can adjust each JPEG profile using a number of parameters. If you want it more ďpunchyĒ, you can use vivid or play with the saturation/contrast and so on. If you shoot RAW, there are a lot of processing options in the camera.

The GR IIIís handling of noise leaves quite a lot of luminance noise, and retains detail with it. The chroma noise is mostly removed. I feel this handling is quite different from the way Pentax cameras and other brands handle noise.

Wi-fi
I havenít had a camera with wi-fi until now, but itís a very handy feature to have. The transfer speed for a full-size JPEG seems to be around a 1-2 seconds. I was pleasantly surprised by that. What is a pain is that some advertised features are still not implemented. Fortunately, Ricoh does seem to be actively working on firmware improvements and updating regularly.

Conclusion
This is actually the most Iíve ever paid for a camera, so I have high expectations of it and plan to use it for a long time. So far, Iím completely satisfied. Iíve barely scratched the surface of what it can do. I knew about the battery life beforehand, but I have to dock a point for any camera that forces you to buy extra stuff and think about battery management so much. That is really the only thing to complain about.
Add Review of Ricoh GR III Buy the Ricoh GR III

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!