Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Pentax Accessory Reviews » Flash Equipment » Flashes (Third-party)
Sigma EF-530 DG ST Review RSS Feed

Sigma EF-530 DG ST

Reviews Views Date of last review
6 22,422 Thu December 27, 2012
spacer
Recommended By Average Price Average User Rating
83% of reviewers $139.20 7.50
Sigma EF-530 DG ST
supersize

Description:
From B&H:

The Sigma 530ST DG ST P-TTL Shoe Mount Flash is Sigma's economical full-TTL flash, and has been updated with improved coverage range and a stronger power output. It features a powerful Guide Number of 174'/53 m at 105mm, and covers a focal range from 24mm to 105mm. This flash provides full TTL operation with digital SLR cameras, including full P-TTL operation with applicable cameras
Price History:

Add Review of Sigma EF-530 DG ST
Author:
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-6 of 6
Forum Member

Review Date: December 27, 2012 Not Recommended | Price: $170.00 | Rating: 2 

Pros: powerful
Cons: after 1,5 years the plastic foot was broken

A nice flash but after 1,5 years the foot was broken, so the flash isn't usable anymore. Considering I could only use the flash for a limited time, it is a really expensive flash.

Review Date: April 10, 2012 Recommended | Price: $98.00 | Rating: 9 

Pros: Cheap, fast recycle time & P-TTL
Cons: Buttons need to be pressed to tilt/swivel?

Good quality It has a fast recycle time and it's a good all-round flashgun.

Pentaxian

Review Date: April 27, 2011 Recommended | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 9 

Pros: Powerful, modern features, fast recycle, easy to use
Cons: Buttons that need to be pressed to tilt or swivel

I had so far been using a Pentax AF280T in auto mode, and decided to treat myself with a flash sporting more power, a zoom head and an AF assist beam. Enters the Sigma 530 DG ST.

First impression : very well made, seems sturdy enough, looks better than some Yongnuo I've seen. The AF280T feels great, but the Sigma is just as well assembled, just as light, even though it's bigger. The Vivitar 285HV is larger and heavier, and feels cheaper. The battery door looks just as flimsy as every other flash battery door I've seen. The buttons are sturdy and the general feel is one of quality.

I'm not a fan of the buttons that must be pressed in order to unlock the swivel/tilt of the head, if Pentax could do without a lock 15 years ago why can't Sigma do so now?

The flash body tilts forward, and it takes some time getting used to that when positioning the head. Vertical is NOT aligned with the flash body... I'm used to having the AF280T at 45°, the Sigma locks at 60° instead, a better thing I believe but it will take time getting used to, because coupled with the zoom head it means light will not always end up where you expect it to.

The head tilts at 7° "for close-ups", I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make. The AF280T tilts down to 15° and even then with a real macro lens it doesn't work wonders.

The zoom head is great, no surprises, works as expected. The AF light is a godsend, I'm going to love that!

Recycle time with fully charged Eneloops : fantastic. Nothing to complain about.

Auto mode of the AF280T vs P-TTL... I've only played with the Sigma a short while, but so far I'd say I find two shortcomings : highly reflective surfaces and vertical positioning of the head. The Auto apparently worked better with those. But then again, I was inside a room with high ceilings, large windows, during day. And it was my first time with the flash. I'm not even sure I was orienting the head well. When I tilted it a bit forward it became better. In theory, when no filters are used, Auto should be more reliable because it's not a calculation, it's an actual measurement.

I did more testing in various conditions, and as I learn to use the flash the performances improve, which makes me think the shortcomings were caused by me, not by the flash. Just like any tool, you have to learn how to use it. When a lot of light is already present, directing the flash straight at the ceiling doesn't work well, but tilting the head so the light is directed towards the subject (even if bounced) works better. That's even more true with a zoom head.

In short, any flash system, be it Auto or P-TTL, takes some time getting used to. But considering that after just a few days with this flash, I'm getting pretty good at using it, that tells me this flash and P-TTL in general can be a very efficient tol.

Forum Member

Review Date: December 21, 2010 Recommended | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8 

Pros: P-TTL, cheap, powerful,
Cons: No slave mode

I bought this flash to use for occasional outdoor portraits where I need to fill in shadows under sunlight. This flash does a great job with proper P-TTL mode as well as 2 manual power modes (High and Low). It has a zoom which covers the 24-105mm range which is great for portaiture or group shots. The biggest downside for me is the lack of slave mode for off-camera flash, but that is seasily solved with a cheap flash radio trigger, and would still work out cheaper than any other comparable product. A great first flash.

Site Supporter

Review Date: May 14, 2010 Recommended | Price: $149.00 | Rating: 9 

Pros: Reasonable cost, ease of use, and good build quality
Cons: none so far

I'm an available light kinda guy and have to do occasional product shoots for my wifes bussiness. Being in Arizona, outdoor shoots can be done quite easily during the day but wind is the killer. I've used a light box indoors with assorted lighting equipment and have had reasonable results but setup time is a drag. So I decided to get a flash. Being a minamalist and cheap, the Sigma seemed the one to try. All I can say is WOW, for my use it has exceeded my expectations. Oh yes, there is one button for the tilt and one for the swivel, no need to press both at once.

Veteran Member

Review Date: May 7, 2010 Recommended | Price: $149.00 | Rating: 8 

Pros: Inexpensive, fast recycle time, easy to operate
Cons: Slightly awkward to tilt/swivel

I use this as a backup to my Metz 58AF-1. It is a good, basic, PTTL, tilt/swivel flash with analog controls on the rear. While some people complain a bit about the awkward tilt/swivel controls (you actually have to press two buttons to move the head) I am able to (albeit difficultly) press both buttons with one hand. And it does help keep the flash position firmly in place.
I'm impressed by the recycle time, power and overall build of this flash and would recommend it either as a first flash or a great backup.
Add Review of Sigma EF-530 DG ST