Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There is is dutch saying "God straft onmiddelijk". Not sure if it exists in English but it translates to "God punishes immediately"
Well, now I have THAT to look forward to.

It's not bad enough that Hangu has been instigating World War III between me and my wife, egging me on via PMs to retract that bid and do a BIN on another one that popped up.

My timing stinks, but so does my manual focusing, so it's a perfect match.

05-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ira, I don't understand why you don't just get a new Rokenon 85 f1.4 -- it would even have auto metering and price wise it is the same, or even a little cheaper from the sound of things.
05-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Ira, I don't understand why you don't just get a new Rokenon 85 f1.4 -- it would even have auto metering and price wise it is the same, or even a little cheaper from the sound of things.
Pride.

But I'll look into it. Never heard of that lens.
05-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Pride.

It's actually a decent lens. Don't know if it has the special appeal of the Tak but.. here are a few snaps from my Vivitar version of that same lens.

Here is one at f1.4

05-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Pride.

I have the vivitar version, there are also Bower, Pro Optic and a host of other names for the same lens.

All are manufactured by Samyang, and all but the vivitar are absolutely identical except for the nameplate. The vivitar has unique asthetic features, but is otherwise the same lens.

It is a very good lens, especially for the price.

I have posted shots taken with it previously, and one point I like is it is a KA mount, and therefore all the auto exposure and flash features of the newer bodies work with this lens.

But I digress, I bought it, as stated earlier, because I couldn't find any pentax lens at a reasonable price (lower than the vivitar et.al).

About 6 months after getting the vivitar, I stumbled across the super tak 85 F1.9 as stated earlier, at a really good price (about 40% below what they typically sell for). What else could I do, but buy it
05-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Pride.

it has garnered quite a cult following recently for the last 6 months, mainly from Canikon users and got the ire of a few fanboys that their lenses have some real competition on their hand. I wasn't able to do an actual comparison but my personal impression is that the lens is sharp and has a really creamy bokeh and one heck of a bright lens. the Canikon users state that it's much better than their own brand 85mm as far as sharpness wide open goes and bokeh as well. and has the same bokeh rendering of that of the Sigma 50/1.4 which had gained a great reputation on all camera users, not just Pentax.

I sold mine recently and kinda miss it. reason for selling, I'm ordering the AF Sigma 85 and anticipating it's release this month for the K-mount. I just hope that it has the same or much better rendering of it's 50mm counterpart, although I'm highly optimistic.
05-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it has garnered quite a cult following recently for the last 6 months, mainly from Canikon users and got the ire of a few fanboys that their lenses have some real competition on their hand. I wasn't able to do an actual comparison but my personal impression is that the lens is sharp and has a really creamy bokeh and one heck of a bright lens. the Canikon users state that it's much better than their own brand 85mm as far as sharpness wide open goes and bokeh as well. and has the same bokeh rendering of that of the Sigma 50/1.4 which had gained a great reputation on all camera users, not just Pentax.

I sold mine recently and kinda miss it. reason for selling, I'm ordering the AF Sigma 85 and anticipating it's release this month for the K-mount. I just hope that it has the same or much better rendering of it's 50mm counterpart, although I'm highly optimistic.
We are drifting off topic here, but any way

I have somewhat of an impression that here on the pentax forums, there are purists that hate the lens because it isn't "spectacular" in performance, the images don't "Pop" etc,

I think personally that a lot of this is just things that are achieved in PP. for me the lens is bright contrasty, sharp at all apertures, and a pleasure to use.

What I really need to do with a lot of my lenses is some side by side comparisons. I have 3 practical ways to get 85mm, the vivitar F1.4, the super tak F1.9 and an SMC-P 50mm F1.4 on my SMC-F 1.7x AF TC (85mm F2.5 equivelent)

I really need to put the camera on a tripod and take the same shots from all 3. starting wide open on each, then equivelent to F2.8 and F5.6 That should do it.
05-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
We are drifting off topic here, but any way

I have somewhat of an impression that here on the pentax forums, there are purists that hate the lens because it isn't "spectacular" in performance, the images don't "Pop" etc,

I think personally that a lot of this is just things that are achieved in PP. for me the lens is bright contrasty, sharp at all apertures, and a pleasure to use.

What I really need to do with a lot of my lenses is some side by side comparisons. I have 3 practical ways to get 85mm, the vivitar F1.4, the super tak F1.9 and an SMC-P 50mm F1.4 on my SMC-F 1.7x AF TC (85mm F2.5 equivelent)

I really need to put the camera on a tripod and take the same shots from all 3. starting wide open on each, then equivelent to F2.8 and F5.6 That should do it.
funny how you mentioned POP, that's exactly what the other forums like about the Vivitar, it got pop. so which people are telling the truth? all I can say is the images I had taken with it popped nicely.

05-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #39
Ira
Inactive Account

The reviews I've seen on it are extremely positive, saying it's optically equal to the Nikon. Bokeh is supposed to be superb, easy focusing, but the 1/2 F-stop clicks are a pain.

The thing is, I already have the Tamron 90Di Macro, and I mainly want the 85 Tak to further expand my Tak family--and because I want that Tak look in this FL.

Otherwise, I'm better off putting the money towards something else in the ultra-wide range, which I need too.

I also need a new kitchen table, but I told my wife, "Honey--you can't update the firmware on a kitchen table!"
05-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #40
Veteran Member

The reviews I've seen on it are extremely positive, saying it's optically equal to the Nikon. Bokeh is supposed to be superb, easy focusing, but the 1/2 F-stop clicks are a pain.

The thing is, I already have the Tamron 90Di Macro, and I mainly want the 85 Tak to further expand my Tak family--and because I want that Tak look in this FL.

Otherwise, I'm better off putting the money towards something else in the ultra-wide range, which I need too.

I also need a new kitchen table, but I told my wife, "Honey--you can't update the firmware on a kitchen table!"
LOL, funny. anyway, there is a Samyang 85 version that has no aperture clicks or free aperture ring stops which you could adjust the aperture speed gradually. I think they made it that way for comfy and smooth video aperture stop adjustment, also makes video composition more dramatic.
05-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #41
Pentaxian

This thread just got more interesting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/100379-sale-s...d-case-us.html
05-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #42
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
HAH!! How the heck did you do that!?

And thanks for not making it $350 for me and $225 for all others!
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

HAH!! How the heck did you do that!?

And thanks for not making it $350 for me and $225 for all others!
C'mon Ira, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

Just retract your other bid....

edit:
EVERY HOUR, I WILL INCREASE IRA'S PRICE BY $10 AND DECREASE THE PRICE FOR EVERYONE ELSE BY $10.
05-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #44
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote

edit:
EVERY HOUR, I WILL INCREASE IRA'S PRICE BY $10 AND DECREASE THE PRICE FOR EVERYONE ELSE BY $10.
That's a real listing?

There are three others on there for a $360 bid.

Also, I couldn't retrieve your pm on my iTouch.
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote

edit:
That's hilarious!
It has to stop somewhere though, right?