Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Uber wide angle

Hello everyone! I'm basically in need of a wide angle lens. No great hurry, but i need to get looking as I'm probably going to have to scout around for a 2nd hand deal. There lies my issue: I know the story with the new 12mm-24mm zoom and 14 and 21mm primes, but i can't find anything very useful about older and/or 3rd party wide angles which is the only thing I am going to be able to afford.

I don't have a set budget and I'm also not too fussed whether its a zoom or prime but i need something not much narrower than 14mm (preferably wider). This is for architectural photography mostly so the wider the better i suppose.

Also don't bother mentioning fisheyes. I might buy the zenitar at some point for the sake of experimentation, but the extreme distortion is exactly what I dont want! Also I'm in Yorkshire, UK so if anyone knows of any decent stores in the area that are worth contacting with regard to second hand lenses it would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys n gals!

07-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at the overall market, and decided on the sigma 10-20mm zoom.

I wanted the widest lens I could get, and did not want the post processing for distortion of the 10-17 fish-eye.

Tokina makes thier own versions of most new pentax lenses also.
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The Zenitar does not have extreme distortion due to the crop factor (which is why I recently bought a Pentax 10-17mm to have alongside my Zenitar), and it can be corrected in software to give you a pretty normal image.

I suspect that the Zenitar plus PTlens will cost far less than a good ultrawide, new or used.
07-27-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just got my zenitar from the zenitar_store on ebay. Very fast shipping and the lens is great. Once corrected, people say the Zenitar 16mm FE will have the look of a 20mm wide angle.

07-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

just got the sigma 10-20mm. i shoot inside rooms for web and real estate brochures to support my camera habit. the 10-20 is a very nice lens and i wouldn't be able to shoot the smaller rooms without it. if i shoot at about a 4.5' height, no perspective editing is required... but shoot at eye level (5.7') and i need to post edit perspective at base of pic. lens has paid for itself quickly.

Last edited by ivoire; 07-28-2007 at 05:47 AM.
07-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #6

I recently bought a FA* 24/2 not an ultra wide but its works wel.

What a quality!

Guido

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/9945-stress-test-fa-24-2-if-al.html
07-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions (and pics!) posted so far.

@groucho: I am aware of the lower distortion, but it's still significant amd correction seriously deteriorates the corner areas of the image. Also if fotopete is correct, 20mm isn't really wide enough for my purposes anyway.

@Ivoire: thanks for those pics, i particularly like the one on the left. I would certainly be delighted with a lens that went that wide! Are those photos taken at 10mm?

@Geyst: you're lucky to have such a nice lens, but just not wide enough for me :P

Does anyone have any experience of older pentax wide angle lenses (or ones from other manufacturers) that i might be able to put my mitts on 2nd hand? It also looks like the Tokina 12-24mm is only available for Canon and Nikon :/
07-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
and
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
just got the sigma 10-20mm. i shoot inside rooms for web and real estate brochures to support my camera habit. the 10-20 is a very nice lens and i wouldn't be able to shoot the smaller rooms without it. if i shoot at about a 4.5' height, no perspective editing is required... but shoot at eye level (5.7') and i need to post edit perspective at base of pic. lens has paid for itself quickly.
can see your tripod in the mirror....

07-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you're looking for ultra wide angle for under $500, then in my opinion the Sigma 10-20mm is the way to go. I just purchased one a couple of weeks ago from Cameta Camera's Amazon Store. Very satisfied with the price, service, and the lens itself.

Clem Nichols