Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Standard Zoom

I'm looking to get my first good, new lens. I have quite a few takumars and off brands, as well as the 55-300. I have a few auto focus sigma's, and some one touch m type zooms that I like, but I would like to have a really sharp, good color and contrast lens I could leave on the camera for most of the time. I've always had the intention of getting about four lenses to shoot family, sports, events and nature, and I've had a great time accumulating some great vintage glass, but now I'd like to settle down with a good lens.

I've narrowed it down to a range of 16-80mm, or somewhere in there. The Sigma lineup looks good, but confusing. It seems the 17-70 has gone through some confusing growth. I don't have an sdm lens, so I'd like to get one. A 2.8 aperture (preferrably constant) is also a strong desire. I like these lenses:

24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Also, the 16-45 is $300.00 at amazon.

Can anybody give me the info on these? I've read the reviews, but can't narrow anything down. I trust the advice here.

Thanks

05-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Well I have a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro (it,s my only lens for now). It works good, but hey I'm new at this...However, if the OS is for Object Stabilisation, or anything like that, it seems that you should be weary ; pentax has in body stabilisation and the lesn + body stabilisation combination doesn't seem to be goog...

I do agree that a constant 2.8 aperture souds great!
05-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you use a lens with OS (or VC) on a Pentax body with IS, you need either to switch off the lens OS/VC, or the camera IS. They do not work together.

Slrgear.com write an interesting comparison between the respective advantagea of lens OS and body IS: Image Stabilization Test: Olympus E-520 SLR Body - SLRgear.com!. The paper is worth to read, ad it would be nice to have a similar test conducted with a Pentax body.

Hope that the comments will help...
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, my opinion is you pretty much always get what you pay for. There are only a few 3rd party lenses I care about and none of them are Sigma (except maybe an old 24/28mm MF lens).
For me the DA* 16-50 is the ideal standard zoom. I've had mine since I switched to Pentax 2 years ago and it stays on my cam until I need the 50-135 or deliberately switch to another lens for a specific purpose. I've not experienced any of the focus prob's some have and my copy is sharp with great color and contrast and the SDM is fine and fast, thank you.

If you can't or won't spend the current $$ on a DA*, the 16-45 is a great deal at the current price and the DA 17-70 would be next on my list.

The 2.8 max aperture makes a big difference indoors or in other low-light situations and is worth every penny if you've got the pennies to spend.

GL in whatever you choose.