Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fellow Pentaxians--PEACE!

Okay, that said, I do not know where to begin. I just got in from work and see this thread has gone haywire. Reading through it, I have a good idea of why, but am not sure where to begin in order to initiate the peace proceedings.

Pentaxor, you misunderstood what I was trying to relay to everyone here, but I have no idea why. I said there are times when a Medium Format lens makes excellent choice over a FF lens.n crop sensor. I used concrete examples and provided pictures to show my claim had authenticity. But there were alot of things I did not say, which you somehow think I did say.

1) I never spoke about new Pentax MF lenses--they have nothing to do in the discussion and were only brought into by you for some strange reason.

2) I never said the K 300 f 4 was the only Full Frame lens out there which could be compared with a medium format lens. I simply chose the K 300 because I owned it and because it is similar to the MF setup I brought into the discussion.

BTW, many members of this normally peacful forum think the K 300 f4 lens is the best buy out there for 300mm.

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: my only issue regarding this matter is that an MF lens would just be better off on an MF camera. as far as practicality of use and costs goes. and yes, I'm also including the new Pentax MF lenses which I believe won't be cheap at all.
3rd) I was not discussing where Medium Format lenses are better off--again, you, for some strange reason, brought this into the conversation. I was simply responding to the OPs request, which I think needs a re-introduction here:

QuoteQuote:
hangu: Just curious as to why people use medium format lenses on Pentax DSLRs, they're more expensive, heavier, generally slower, no auto focus or aperture and require an adapter.[/
Pentaxor, this is what the rest of us are working on in this thread.

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: I'll make it simple for you.

Me prefer use MF lens on MF body.
Pentaxor your opinion is fine, but it does nothing to answer the OPs thread, nor does it address your issue that I did not make a fair case for MF on crop sensor. I could go on for a long time, but hope I have you back on track now.

05-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
krb: Yes, some of the MF lenses are rare/expensive. When that is the case you don't buy them. Some MF lenses offer a better value than 35mm lenses and that's when the MF lens makes more sense.
B I N G O Well summed up--thanks.

QuoteQuote:
xGene: Why the condescending tone? He just said English is not his first language. Give the guy a break! Or is it becuase he doesn't have as many posts as you??? If you feel you are repeating yourself or it's not worth repeating, just don't.
Yes!

QuoteQuote:
danielausparis: Discussion was about something entirely different: how, in some cases, a MF lens (example: 165mm) can provide very good services on APS-C
And thank you too, for an accurate and succint statement of the thread.
05-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: to those who just butted in,.........................

Pentaxor, nobody "butts in"; everyone is entilted to post here! You having a bad day? You are normally a friendly guy.
04-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
Jumping in late

I'm no pro but here are a few +- that I can see.
A medium format lens is much larger than the sensor in a dslr needs so it will only use the inner portion of the glass. The result is more size and weight than needed but you will see much less vignetting. Because it is larger your pop up flash may not be high enough to get over the lens leaving an arcing shadow.
I like a heavier lens, it's easier for me to keep still. Also some of these MF lenses are made from very high quality glass which gives a different image than polycarbonate, some people prefer this. Because they are so large lens coatings become even more important. Also, unlike a dslr lens these can be adapted for tilt/shift photography as well as other fun projects. As always, quality is key, so a cheap MF lens will be just that.

04-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rasputin Quote
A medium format lens is much larger...
Actually, I have a number of very compact MF lenses. They're so small and light because... I scavenged them from MF folders, box cams, and polaroids! I either kludge an M42 or PK adapter, or stick them into cheap body caps, then mount them on bellows and/or tubes.

PRO: No edge nor corner problems; little distortion
CON: Resolution and rendering may be less than ideal
MEH: Some scavenged lenses must be shot wide-open

Last edited by RioRico; 04-15-2011 at 01:38 PM.