Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which should I get next???
Pentax 10-17mm 1219.35%
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 711.29%
Pentax DA 70mm 1016.13%
Pentax DA 40mm 1930.65%
Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 1422.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I voted DA40.
It's the best possible introduction into prime photography IMO...
That is a very good way to put it!

05-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good stuff...keep it coming. On a side note...since I plan to stick with the kit lens for the time being....would you recommend spending a few bucks and upgrading to the newest version??? Are they any sharper than the DAL version that came with my K-x? The one I have seems pretty darn good for a kit lens...just wondering if there's any actual comparisons out there.
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I knew the 50-135 would pull ahead. This lens is the most common lens on our camera body. It's simply amazing.
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I picked the 10-17 cause I have one for sale...LOL

05-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
On a side note...since I plan to stick with the kit lens for the time being....would you recommend spending a few bucks and upgrading to the newest version??? Are they any sharper than the DAL version that came with my K-x? The one I have seems pretty darn good for a kit lens...just wondering if there's any actual comparisons out there.
I'm surprised no one's answered this. I think it's one of those questions that gets asked so often that everyone assumes someone else will take care of it.

The 18-55 DA L is the same lens optically as the II and WR versions. They differ mechanically. The DA L lacks quick-shift focus, has a plastic mount and comes without a lens hood. The II has quick-shift, a metal mount and comes with a petal hood. The WR is the same as the II except that it is weather resistant. Whether an upgrade is worthwhile depends on how much you value these mechanical features, but there's no difference in IQ except for normal sample variation.

The original 18-55mm has the same mechanical build as the II but it is not quite as good as the others optically so I wouldn't recommend you trade that one for your DA L.
05-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #21

I voted the Tamron 28-75, as there is no 17-50 f2.8 on your poll. I once as in the same decision as you are now, and I chose the Sigma 24-60 f2.8. I should have chosen something wider. The Sigma is a fine lens, but I always have to bring an extra lens for the wide angle situations.
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I vote the 40 though I think something a bit faster would provide more utility. I personally won't buy any SDM lenses until I see some solid and sustainable proof of a motor fix.
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter

I've wanted the 10-17 since I got my K7, but I just don't see it being used quite often. I voted for the Tamron. It seems like a lens that could get lots of use.

05-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Spoilsport

Well, one more vote for "none of the above". Someone has to help spoil the party.

I would have voted (and I did - by purchase) the 40mm. Loved it when the FL was right but I was zooming with my feet a lot in traffic (public places and group gatherings).

Entirely by mistake (really!) I bid more than I planned to on a Sigma 17-70mm. Couldn't back out of the auction so I tried it before selling it on.

But it got stuck on my camera that whole autumn and winter. Couldn't find an outstanding reason to take it off. Covers the portrait range, does macro in a pinch (I have the older 2.2 version), and opens to a nice, fast 2.8 at the wide end. I was surprised at how much I liked 17mm for interior architectural shots.

Now that it's been warmer, I've sometimes been carrying two bodies (K-7 and K-X) with the 17-70 on the K-X (it's often used as the indoor camera) and 55-300 on the K-7. Maybe I'll reverse that. But the more I use that Sigma, the better I like it. Right now, it's the last lens I'd part with.

By the way, I did have the 10-17 fisheye but found my interest in it dwindled after a while. Too little time and all that.

Last edited by glanglois; 05-06-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Addition
05-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm surprised no one's answered this. I think it's one of those questions that gets asked so often that everyone assumes someone else will take care of it.

The 18-55 DA L is the same lens optically as the II and WR versions. They differ mechanically. The DA L lacks quick-shift focus, has a plastic mount and comes without a lens hood. The II has quick-shift, a metal mount and comes with a petal hood. The WR is the same as the II except that it is weather resistant. Whether an upgrade is worthwhile depends on how much you value these mechanical features, but there's no difference in IQ except for normal sample variation.

The original 18-55mm has the same mechanical build as the II but it is not quite as good as the others optically so I wouldn't recommend you trade that one for your DA L.
Thank you...I wasn't aware the DAL and the DA II were optically the same. Good info