Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tilt lens options for Pentax?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey all,

What are the tilt lens options for my K10D/K7?

The Hartblei MC TS Arsat 35mm used on ebay? Anything else I should be looking for?

05-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There are a few options, they're all very expensive with the exception of tilt/shift adapters for medium format cameras.

MC 35 mm Tilt & Shift lens
Pentax 2mm f3.5 tilt/shift lens

There is also a tilt/shift adapter for Pentax medium format lenses and Pentacon medium format lenses I believe. It is inexpensive compared to the alternatives but they increase focal length. I think wide angle lenses are better for this. I also have my doubts as to their image quality compared to the dedicated shift lenses.

Edit:
Plenty of options apparently:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-Pentax-K-Hartblei-2-8-80-Tilt-Shift-Lens-NEW-/350...ht_2859wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-K-Arsat-2-8-35mm-9401522-shift-lens-/160422063621...ht_3084wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.com/MC-Mir-67-2-8-35mm-Shift-9400812-f-Pentax-/160422062784?...ht_3084wt_1168

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-28mm-f3-5-Shift-Lens-/290432023227?cmd=ViewIt...#ht_819wt_1165
05-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The ebay listings are for shift lenses, I'm looking specifically for tilt options. The Pentax listed is shift only as well.

Would I have better luck in another mount I wonder...hmmm....
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, there aren't many tilt options, I've been looking for something like this recently but all of them have been out of my price range.

05-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your options are pretty narrow. The main issue is that tilt/shift is most useful with a wide angle lens and the widest you are going to find is about 35mm. This is not particularly wide on APS-C. Your options as far as I know are limited to Arax/Arsat and Hartblei. Another possibility is adapting a non-K-mount lens to fit your camera. You might find this thread interesting:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/91033-tilt-shift-lens-club.html
I pondered the various options for some time and finally settled on buying a view camera and scanning the negatives.

Steve
05-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
The ebay listings are for shift lenses, I'm looking specifically for tilt options. The Pentax listed is shift only as well.
The Hartblei (first ebay listing) is for a T/S lens at $845.

Anyone know if any these will work w/ the K20D's auto metering? They all seem to be K or M42 mount which means stop down manual metering...
05-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The Hartblei (first ebay listing) is for a T/S lens at $845.

Anyone know if any these will work w/ the K20D's auto metering? They all seem to be K or M42 mount which means stop down manual metering...
It is also an 80mm lens. However, if it doesn't have A contacts, it will require stop down with the green button.

05-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
There are a few options, they're all very expensive with the exception of tilt/shift adapters for medium format cameras.

Pentax 2mm f3.5 tilt/shift lens

There is also a tilt/shift adapter for Pentax medium format lenses and Pentacon medium format lenses I believe. It is inexpensive compared to the alternatives but they increase focal length. I think wide angle lenses are better for this. I also have my doubts as to their image quality compared to the dedicated shift lenses.

Edit:
Plenty of options apparently:
Camera Pentax-K Hartblei 2.8/80 Tilt-Shift Lens NEW - eBay (item 350278411549 end time May-11-10 13:29:34 PDT)

Pentax K Arsat 2.8/35mm #9401522 shift lens - eBay (item 160422063621 end time May-09-10 05:41:52 PDT)

MC Mir-67 2.8/35mm Shift #9400812 f. Pentax - eBay (item 160422062784 end time May-09-10 05:37:41 PDT)

Pentax SMC 28mm f3.5 Shift Lens - eBay (item 290432023227 end time Jun-03-10 09:08:54 PDT)
The Pentax 28/3.5 is shift only, no tilt.

The adapters unfortunately are either tilt or shift, not both in one adapter. I have one of the shift adapters besides my 28mm shift and they work nicely. Problem is, the shortest lens in PSix mount is a 30mm - so you gain nothing really over the Pentax 28mm lens, except a small price advantage. On the other hand for studio work using a tilt adapter combined with the Flektogon 50mm or the 80mm standard lens, could be interesting.

I think, there was an Angenieux 28mm shift lens available in K mount, too and the old 35mm Schneider-Kreuznach shift (the PC-Curtagon).

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 05-04-2010 at 04:01 PM.
05-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I got a tilt adapter for Pentacon 6 to Pentax and a Mir 45mm Pentacon 6 lens for under $230.It is big and heavy and flares like #^%$%@ as my lens is not multicoated. Plus there are internal reflection issues, so flare happens even when not going directly into the sun. The best "cheap" route would be a Zeiss 50mm f/4 flecktogon (MC) and the tilt adapetr, but that will probably run over $300.
05-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had a Hartblei 120/2,8 T&S super-rotator. Heavy and big, rotator ring somehow difficult to use due the protruding flash beak of the K20D, but very very sharp. I sued it for close up, together with Nikon close up diopters. Diaphragm is manual, so you have to phisically close it before shooting, no need of green button, you can use both M or Av.

This is from that set up:

05-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I got a tilt adapter for Pentacon 6 to Pentax and a Mir 45mm Pentacon 6 lens for under $230.It is big and heavy and flares like #^%$%@ as my lens is not multicoated. Plus there are internal reflection issues, so flare happens even when not going directly into the sun. The best "cheap" route would be a Zeiss 50mm f/4 flecktogon (MC) and the tilt adapetr, but that will probably run over $300.
The Flektogon 50/4 is a very good lens and worth the investment. Another option is the 30mm Arsat fish-eye. Ofcourse the angle of view on an APS-C sensor is more akin to a standard lens and the contrast of the Arsat is not really high. But it is very useable and offers the widerst view of a medium format lens on a shift or tilt adapter. It is very bif, by the way.

Ben
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because I need this for some professional shoots, I'm seriously considering picking up a used Canon 5D and a 24mm TS-E (mk I)...unless I can find some wide angle alternatives.

The Canon TS-E lenses are showing up on the used market as the MK-II versions of the lens are greatly superior to the MK-I. MK-I used goes for about $1k and a MK-II retails for about $2200 here in Canada. Ouch.
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Because I need this for some professional shoots, I'm seriously considering picking up a used Canon 5D and a 24mm TS-E (mk I)...unless I can find some wide angle alternatives.

The Canon TS-E lenses are showing up on the used market as the MK-II versions of the lens are greatly superior to the MK-I. MK-I used goes for about $1k and a MK-II retails for about $2200 here in Canada. Ouch.
If you could elaborate on the subject of the job, we could perhaps make a good suggestion. For instance, if you need only shift (architectural) the Pentax K 28mm shift is great and quite cheap at around 500-600 Euros on ebay in mint condition (most secondhand shifts are in good condition, as they are in fact rarely used).

But if you need it for table top, the Pentax fails miserably, as sharpness goes dramatically down at short distances, especially towards the edges and CAs get very prominent.

If you need tilt, you could perhaps get away with using a tilt adapter and the Arsat 30mm lens, but ofcourse that would not allow for shift at the same time. In that case you either need Canon or Nikon or you go with a medium or large format lens and either a view camera (and adapt the Pentax as a digital back) or the Novoflex shift/tilt bellows.

But ofcourse the Canon TS-lenses are just great, among the best Canon glass anyway (the new modells at least). So, if the job justifies the expense…

Ben
05-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #14

I have both the russian ARSAT/B.I.G 35mm/2.8 and 80mm/2.8.

The 80mm is nice, if you want to just throw things out of focus by the tilted plane (just like with a lensbaby). The focal plane is not very "flat" though, so if you want to extend the focus by tilting the corner never become really sharp wide open. Stopping down helps somehow. It also behave strange if you focus a subject and than start to tilt: it changes the field of view and you have to correct this by tilting the camera which is quite confusing. I believe ideally the tilt axis should be in the middle of the focal length- but here this is not the case at all. it is also prone to flare.

I just got the 35mm a week ago, so these are only first impressions: The tilting works much better, you can really see the focal plane and things are much sharper towards the corner, the field of view changes less when starting to tilt (you still have to correct somehow). Also flare prone, but it got better after I flocked the inside of the mount.

In general this are full manual lenses. The 80mm has a preset aperture (which I think is a useless function) while the 35 closes down when you stop down.

When I got the 35mm the aperture blades came loose after using it for 30 min. It was hell to take it apart and put it together again. The aperture is held in place only by clips and I can see how it easily can get loose. Arax offers this repair quite cheap but you will have to ship it to russia.

The lensbaby is another option but is is made to be only sharp in the middle of the plane- so not extended focus.
Another option is to get a russian tilt adapter and a medium format lens. After testing the 80mm - I think this is the better option for the long end, you have a bigger choice of lenses and its cheaper.

Finally- live-view helps a lot with focusing its hard to see this through the viewfinder- forget the K10.
05-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Uh, if this is for a professional shoot, then why not just *rent* a 5D2 and the 24 or 17mm T/S? They are among the most popular Canon rental lenses (along with fisheyes) since not many can justify their expense "to see what they're like."

Also, if you want to do T/S with Pentax, I can highly recommend the Flektogon 50/4 and the Hartblei tilt or shift adapters. B*tch sharp, not much flare, but kinda long focal length...

BTW, the Arsat 30mm fisheye is no good for tilt - as you tilt you move through regions of the fisheye distortion, which gets funky and hard to predict or correct. Flares like an MF, too!