Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
coloured FA ltds bags question

Hi,

just wonder, does anybody know when were the coloured bags of FA ltds swapped for black?
31 was red, 43 brown and 77 green... right?
At certain point they started being supplied with black bags. Did this happen for all 3 at the same time? Or was there certain production run at the beginning of each?
If the first is true, it would mean there would be many more 43ltds (1997 - ) and more 77ltds (1999 - ) than 31ltds (2001 - ). So one could assume the red bagged 31 is much rarer than the others?
Could anybody shed some light on this for me?

Thank you
Peter

05-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was under the impression that if you ordered a black FA limited lens you got a black bag....I thought the coloured ones were for the silver ones...the FA43 I ordered a few months ago is in a brown bag, so they must still be around. (I ordered that lens to match my ME super)
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I was under the impression that if you ordered a black FA limited lens you got a black bag....I thought the coloured ones were for the silver ones...the FA43 I ordered a few months ago is in a brown bag, so they must still be around. (I ordered that lens to match my ME super)
I'm pretty sure this is correct. All my black lenses have corresponding black bags, while the silver ones have colors bags. Damn that 31mm sure looks nice...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

most people buy the silver ones because of resale value...I ordered black limited lenses because I couldn't care less about resale value - I'm not selling these lenses and additionally I prefer black lenses on my cameras, it's a Leica thing... if you have a black M7, you get black lenses.

05-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm pretty sure this is correct. All my black lenses have corresponding black bags, while the silver ones have colors bags. Damn that 31mm sure looks nice...
Not quite true. I bought a Silver Made in Japan FA31 some 1 1/2 years back (yeah, probably the last of the MIJ's before going AIV) and the bag was black. I could almost always see B&H having for sales that little brown leather bag for the FA43 but not for the rest.
05-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The last silver FA77 I bought were MIJ and came with black pouch. I am uncertain, but believe Pentax switched to black pouch at once a few years ago for cost saving. The FA31 that I bought in 2005 came with the red pouch. They are leatherette instead of leather BTW. I feel the semi-shiny black one is more wear resistance but thinner and kind of cheap.
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
nah

Ditto on the black bag w/ silver 77 ltd lens.

05-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so it looks they switched around 05 but some people have still the old stock available...
thanks guys

BR
Peter
05-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
most people buy the silver ones because of resale value...I ordered black limited lenses because I couldn't care less about resale value - I'm not selling these lenses and additionally I prefer black lenses on my cameras, it's a Leica thing... if you have a black M7, you get black lenses.
on my DSLRs I'd prefer black but I got crazy offers on 31 & 43 in silver. Couldn't say no and I'd love to have all in the same colour...
One camera I would love to have to match the lenses though is the Asahi 50th Ann. K10D. I know I never will as there is only one piece...
05-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the black FA limited lenses look damn sexy on a black LX, ME super (SE) and the K2DMD......
05-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #11

Mine has a black bag and is still MIJ, don't know the vintage but it seems not that old. I still thank julia for it, my nicest lens by far. By the way, if you get the chance try it in a film camera you'll be blown by how you see through it.

I know this will make disappear all bags from there, but i have seen some/plenty of green bags for the 77 in the nakano, japan junk shop. If you happen to be there, don't be greedy and buy all of them. Leave some for the others

I wish i had known about the green bags so i could get one for me, sadly i'm not nearby anymore.
05-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter

the black FA limited lenses look damn sexy on a black LX, ME super (SE) and the K2DMD......
I think silver looks good on silver, too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In case anyone is interested, B&H has the brown pouch for the 43mm Limited in stock:
Pentax | 43mm Soft Case | 33939 | B&H Photo Video
It looks to be a bit nicer than the black pouch that shipped with my 77mm Limited. If you have to ask the price, you obviously can't afford it...

And yes, the pouches are made of leatherette (fake leather). The first thing that I did when I got my 77mm was to take the fancy lens cap and pouch and put both away for safe keeping. I use a standard FA snap-on cap and a used (real leather) bag from the camera shop's junk box instead.

Steve
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In case anyone is interested, B&H has the brown pouch for the 43mm Limited in stock:
Pentax | 43mm Soft Case | 33939 | B&H Photo Video
Steve
Whoa!! 75 USD!! That must be a refill pouch for the FA Limited Pixie dust.
05-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Whoa!! 75 USD!! That must be a refill pouch for the FA Limited Pixie dust.
Apparently the left-handed Pixie dust. wowcb